ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.0ltr Conversion Questions.

The only advantage to keeping the drums is the awesome handbrake. The 172/182 handbrake is pants. I will reply to your pm btw just on my phone atm so it's tough to reply to longer msgs.
Also drums are cheaper to fix / break less and easier to fix.

Don't look as "sporty" though which is the main reason they are fitted.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
the only reason you would consider a conversion should be if you can do it yourself. my car is engine converted however i got my friend to do it for me.

real world costs :

donner car £950
labour £500
belt kit £200 ?
then your talking what parts your going to change when your swapping everything over.

i changed all the bushes £200
bought cheep coilovers £200
braided brake hoses £50
then you have all your oils etc £100 +
theres more than that as well i replaced put away another £200 for other stuff

then mine had a problem when everything was fitted, got that fixed tracking done mot all in that cost another £300

then 4 miles into my first journey the power steering pump shat itself witch destroyed a belt/pully and the pump.
so its going to cost me another £4 - 500

ive made some money back on the non sport parts i didnt use maybe around £5 - 600

all in thats around £2600 - 2800

but thats just geting it running, what about the other parts you want to buy for it. i have ended up buying a lot more for it, decat/rarb/exhaust just to name a few things.

so it becomes rather expensive. buy a 172/182 a good one ;)

my thread if you decided to do the stupid thing: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?568782-Project-s**tbox-172-(In-Need-Of-A-Good-Tidy-Up)

i think that makes ktecs price look good? with a warrenty etc
You must rebuild the engine before it goes in imo no point putting it in and something goes bang for it to come out again. i wish i had the time/money to have mine rebuilt.

Last edited:
  Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Thank you for that reply, very informative. After that the K-tec conversion doesn't sound 'to' bad lol. I think i'd still be mad to do it though over getting a nice example of a 182 and getting it exactly how I want it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its not that its a ripoff, its just that you are paying their 60 quid an hour or whatever it is labour charge for them to do something that in a 172 has already been done at the factory.
I think the price is fair for a company to be doing the work, but its just not the sort of thing that makes financial sense. Its either DIY or dont do it IMHO, and even DIY its pretty pointless when the 1*2 are available so cheaply at the moment.

Its a bit like if you had a black 172 and wanted a blue one, you could spend 3K on a really good professional bare metal respray that isnt in anyway a ripoff for the work done, but it would be pointless compared to just selling up and buying one the right colour.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think ktecs price is a rip off at all they said to me it would be £1200 labour if I supplied the donner car,

But it would work out less expensive I think if you just went through them and let them get parts.

But sending it away and not being involved in the build takes away from the project!

In my eyes when my cars running it will be the car I've always wanted (bar the winter wheels)

Money shouldn't be the issue if your getting something you love, you have the wrong hobby if you're worried about money.

I was in the same position as you mate love my 1.2 and fought about the conversion but K-Tec was to far from me so a just bought a 172...and on the case of the insurance a wouldn't tell them like many 2.0 litre corsa owners d...I know if you get caught you'd well and truely get raped but thats th chance you take but thats imo

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I was in the same position as you mate love my 1.2 and fought about the conversion but K-Tec was to far from me so a just bought a 172...and on the case of the insurance a wouldn't tell them like many 2.0 litre corsa owners d...I know if you get caught you'd well and truely get raped but thats th chance you take but thats imo

Smashing advice that is! Ah let's not insure our pride and joy.

What if you lose control hit a pedestrian/cyclist/baby in pram/bus stop full of people?

Mong.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I wouldnt chance not insuring it. My main reason being the fact that I am currently training to be a Special Constable, with aspiration at being a full time Officer! I also don't fancy loosing my license and everything else that come with getting in an accident and being non-insured.

SG9 Forester STi
LOL @ not insuring it.

It's a 1.2 officer, I just put the Renault Sport on the inlet manifold with a dremel.

Ridiculous piece of advice. If you can't insure something don't buy it.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ive just got back from speaking to a guy on here who said he would be able to do a full conversion if I supplied the parts, like the donar car, belt kits etc etc, everything needed. Its not really the price of the conversion now. Its all the legal side of it and insuring the b*****d. Id imagine i'll get bum raped??

SG9 Forester STi
Definitely get quotes first - try HIC. I was 21 when they insured me for my converted car.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Okay, well Im waiting for HIC to call me back, I'll get onto Greenlight once Ive got a quote from HIC.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
HIC got back to me. Next year when I'm 21 it will cost me £1879 to insure a coversion, with coilovers, exhaust system, and my other modifcations. In comparission, it will cost me about £1500/£1800 to insure a standard sport with admiral (current insurers).

Ive just got back from speaking to a guy on here who said he would be able to do a full conversion if I supplied the parts, like the donar car, belt kits etc etc, everything needed. Its not really the price of the conversion now. Its all the legal side of it and insuring the b*****d. Id imagine i'll get bum raped??
Insuracne canbe dione

As regards price from Ktec to fit I'm guessing they also cover fixing parts as few conversion fit and work straihgt out the box. I know one which had 2 gearboxes plus the original plus a new ECU/ UCH and an auto electricial on it for some time.

Vectra
ever looked at a z20let corsa?

if you bought a clio 172 or 182 and build on that you'd be lucky to get 200hp , if you went the corsa z20let route you could have at least 250hp and it would probably cost less than the clio!

Vectra
^^yeah it would probably cost more to insure than a 172 or 182 but...its not set in stone that you have to declare the conversion

Vectra
well it would help if you did declare it haha would void your cover i think if you didnt..but look on pistonheads/Corsa C UK and you see many Corsa owners don't bother declaring the conversion

well it would help if you did declare it haha would void your cover i think if you didnt..but look on pistonheads/Corsa C UK and you see many Corsa owners don't bother declaring the conversion
If/When they have a crash indsurance companies won't stop laughting they can walk away from any claim and claim all cost from 3rd partys to be claimed back from the owner. SO they would walk away with the owners premium + all there costs paid not a bad business.

O and its illegal so they have to legally pass the info onto the police so the owner can be suit for not having insurance/tax (since the tax is based on the engine the car is claimed to have on the V5 although funilly if they tell the truth on the V5 and it shows the right details there no more road tax due)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Not insuring it is out the question for me, Im not a moron.

As stated early, I think ive seen sense and after chasing about possible insurance its clear I'm better just buying a sport.