ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2.0ltr Conversion Questions.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Yeah but a Ferrari would cost ALOT more then a replica MR2.

the convert for the MR2 to same-ish looking ferrari the ferrari would be cheaper as thay go for about 10-15K but the ferrari would be a bag of nails at that price lol

he compared this convert to the ferrari one but its totally diff as the MR2 is body work which usually costs a lot more than engine work :S

PB Clio 172
not having a go but you havent thought this through have you ?

Its so much more than a engine and you should have known this before the thread really

get a 172/182 ! simple !

Chase Racing Clio
the convert for the MR2 to same-ish looking ferrari the ferrari would be cheaper as thay go for about 10-15K but the ferrari would be a bag of nails at that price lol

he compared this convert to the ferrari one but its totally diff as the MR2 is body work which usually costs a lot more than engine work :S

No, it's the fact that you're affectively looking to spend around 5 grand converting your 1.2 to sport (making it a replica) when the real deal costs less than that as it is!! Just buy a CS and you won't look back, go onnnn.... you know you want to. This is Cliosport.net after all, not ivegota1.2clioandputa2litreengineinitsoitskindalikeacliosport.net

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
not having a go but you havent thought this through have you ?

Its so much more than a engine and you should have known this before the thread really

get a 172/182 ! simple !

I know its so much more than an engine, Im fully aware of what the conversion will involve. I was wanting to get peoples opinions and ideas about some of the question regarding, places to go and insurance etc.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
No, it's the fact that you're affectively looking to spend around 5 grand converting your 1.2 to sport (making it a replica) when the real deal costs less than that as it is!! Just buy a CS and you won't look back, go onnnn.... you know you want to. This is Cliosport.net after all, not ivegota1.2clioandputa2litreengineinitsoitskindalikeacliosport.net

Haha, that is true. I just got a quote for a 182 for £1800, thats starting cover this month. Id be looking at getting one July 2012 :)

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus

the day everyone thinks like that the day the motoring world becomes boring :S

No point.

the resale aspect will be virutally zero. why would someone buy a 1.2 shell with a 172 engine when they can just buy a 172/182.

the whole engine conversation itself is a waste of money. i'm sure alot of people have already said it.

just be done with the idea and get a lovely RB 182.

Chase Racing Clio
I'm not saying don't have the imagination to try new things! Not at all....I've done a few engine swaps over the years and they can be very rewarding, but this one is definitely a case of throwing your money away I'm afraid. You start a project with a plan to spend a set amount and it will always go over. In this case, the money he would spend on the car is probably double that of a decent example 182! I really really don't think it's worth it. And if you've done an engine swap, you'll appreciate how much of a ball ache it is to get it right and 9 times out of 10 there is always some kind of compatibility problem.

PB Clio 172
I know its so much more than an engine, Im fully aware of what the conversion will involve. I was wanting to get peoples opinions and ideas about some of the question regarding, places to go and insurance etc.

no the tread says you want peoples comments on what to do etc. and thats my comment ! sure if you thought it through proper you would know that you can buy an RS for £1500 now, why not buy a poor example and spend some time and TLC on making it good again ? or wait to buy a nice one ? be far cheaper than anything else.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the day everyone thinks like that the day the motoring world becomes boring :S

I disagree, I absolutely love building project cars, but there is no point paying someone else to build you a car that you can just go out and buy already built for far less.
Its not even like it would be a fun project for him, as he is planning on paying someone else to do it.

Utterly pointless.

I dont understand why you would want a 1.2 shell with a 172 engine in, s**t interior, s**t handling set up, s**t wheels, no xenons, no cruise control etc.

182 = what you want but cheaper.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
To be honest, after reading all the comments, I think I have swayed towards to putting my money towards getting a 182 in a colour I love and going from there. I guess it will work out alot cheap, especially on the insurance front.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
like chip said, tbh the ONLY reason someone would do this is because they would want a project. if hes not doing it and hes getting somebody else to then it defeats the point entirely and the money should just be spent on an RS.

not to mention 99% of companies wont insure you, especially at your age. and youll probably never sell the car and have to break it, leaving you with a garage full of useless parts nobody wants

Chase Racing Clio
To be honest, after reading all the comments, I think I have swayed towards to putting my money towards getting a 182 in a colour I love and going from there. I guess it will work out alot cheap, especially on the insurance front.

Yayyyy!!! Common sense prevails!!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
ye i know money aspect its not great and the work is always a pain in the arse plus i think i got sucked in a little too much as tbh i prob couldnt afford it myself atm anyway but i also dont like how CS stamps on peoples imaginations just because its a little different as money spent on one thing that someone sees a pointless could turn out to be someones long awaiting and saving time purchase that makes them feel much better than if they took the sensible option.

but money saved on this convert can get you something really nice and setup well but its still the same as most other stuff on this site so it is all fun and games lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just for the sake of debate.

If you do want to do something with your 1.2 specifically, then why not fit a megane turbo engine, at least that way the money will go to create something you cant just buy for less than you spend building it.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I think, as mentioned I wont be doing the conversion myself because I dont have the technical knowledge to do it, nore the time/space etc. So although the idea of having my 1.2 shell with sport power is a nice idea, I think id get over having to get rid of it when I have a shiny new LY sat on the drive which I can start fresh with :)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Just for the sake of debate.

If you do want to do something with your 1.2 specifically, then why not fit a megane turbo engine, at least that way the money will go to create something you cant just buy for less than you spend building it.

Isnt that a major ball ache though? Plus I dont think i could afford to insure and run a 225 conversion!

I think, as mentioned I wont be doing the conversion myself because I dont have the technical knowledge to do it, nore the time/space etc. So although the idea of having my 1.2 shell with sport power is a nice idea, I think id get over having to get rid of it when I have a shiny new LY sat on the drive which I can start fresh with :)

wahoo.

LY are lovely if you do have some cash to splash get some ITB's on it depending on insurance of course.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
wahoo.

LY are lovely if you do have some cash to splash get some ITB's on it depending on insurance of course.

:) Well ive got an image of how id want it to look in my head, so I think id run with that and Id have a nice little project again, like ive had with my 1.2

Cro

Meg'd r27
To be fair i'm not sure why people say the insurance is a nightmare, greenlight insured me and it was spot on. No different from any other 1*2. Plus the benefit of cheaper tax put smile on my face once a year :)

Still, glad you came to the senses

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
nice project cars atm are 172 cups as they are getting a little sort after :)

find a nice and lower miles one and your onto a winner if you can deal without the extra gadgets of the 182??

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
nice project cars atm are 172 cups as they are getting a little sort after :)

find a nice and lower miles one and your onto a winner if you can deal without the extra gadgets of the 182??

Not overly fussed on gagdets, but would rather a 182, prefere the look, I like the twin exhausts. 197's are coming down In price I noticed......... :rasp:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Not overly fussed on gagdets, but would rather a 182, prefere the look, I like the twin exhausts. 197's are coming down In price I noticed......... :rasp:

ye the standard 172s dont do anything for me but the cups look a little different and i have a soft spot for them lol

cant go wrong with a tidy FSH 182 cup or cup packed 182 as they are the best clio sports made ;)

and ye a nice nimbus or LY 197 tickles my fancy times too plus them being a little newer it maybe a good option over the 182 so the debate shall carry on lol

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
ye the standard 172s dont do anything for me but the cups look a little different and i have a soft spot for them lol

cant go wrong with a tidy FSH 182 cup or cup packed 182 as they are the best clio sports made ;)

and ye a nice nimbus or LY 197 tickles my fancy times too plus them being a little newer it maybe a good option over the 182 so the debate shall carry on lol

Well it would either be a RB or LY 182 for me, or depending on prices the same colours in a 197, but yes, the debate continues, but thats another matter!

If you want 2.0 power the best value even if yyou do the work yourself is realy to sell and buy a 172/182.

However some people want to be different just to be different, and thats good its whats makes us human no following each other and doing ther same things.

One advanateg of a 2.0 powered 1.2 is cheaper road tax but that not a huge saving realy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Isnt that a major ball ache though? Plus I dont think i could afford to insure and run a 225 conversion!

Yes it would be a lot harder than a straight 172 swap, but at least you would have something worthwhile at the end of it, not just a very overpriced 172 with 1.2 written on the logbook.

I dont understand why you would want a 1.2 shell with a 172 engine in, s**t interior, s**t handling set up, s**t wheels, no xenons, no cruise control etc.

182 = what you want but cheaper.

Some poeple on here thing a 172 engine with s**t interior, no xenons, no cruise control makes for a more expensive car than a normal 172

(as for the wheels and tyres theses can be easily changed anyway

RS6 C7
If your doing a conversion then put a vag turbo engine in like jamie winter, No point in putting a 172 engine in really when you can buy a full car in reasonable condition for less than the conversion...

Some poeple on here thing a 172 engine with s**t interior, no xenons, no cruise control makes for a more expensive car than a normal 172

(as for the wheels and tyres theses can be easily changed anyway

It's that's what you want then fine. Big question is why? to be different. Nice one, more fool you.

Makes a lot of sense to save money and also at the same get the better car which in question is a standard 172/182.

Wheels and tryes, xenons etc may be available at again an extra cost. Plus it would never handle as good as a standard RS Clio.

In my eyes you would be a absoloute f**king idiot to do it. Of course IMO.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I've thought about doing mine before, but I just couldn't justify the amount of money tbh. And I'd like a new project :)

SG9 Forester STi
Don't forget that if you do choose a conversion then you'll have to get a sport rear axle to swap the drums to discs. Easy job although you do lose your ABS which chucks one of many lights you'll see up ;).

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Don't forget that if you do choose a conversion then you'll have to get a sport rear axle to swap the drums to discs. Easy job although you do lose your ABS which chucks one of many lights you'll see up ;).

Ive known people to leave the drums though? Just done the front? :S

SG9 Forester STi
The only advantage to keeping the drums is the awesome handbrake. The 172/182 handbrake is pants. I will reply to your pm btw just on my phone atm so it's tough to reply to longer msgs.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
The only advantage to keeping the drums is the awesome handbrake. The 172/182 handbrake is pants. I will reply to your pm btw just on my phone atm so it's tough to reply to longer msgs.

Okay, whats the disadvantage? Is it dangerous not to? haha, no worries.

]You don't need to use the disks you can get a abs pickup rings made for the rear drums or if you want make up some abs rings for the front of the car and use the old abs system