ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Pros and Cons

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
If I didn't love Racing Blue so much I'd definitely go for Ultra Red.

Epic colour. Much better than Capsicum IMO. I wish our 133 was Ultra.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I had an R27 and a normal 197, fantastic cars. They do feel slower than the 182's but when I did a track day at Cadwell, there was definitely nothing in it at all! Its just the way the power is spread in my opinion that makes it feel slower. Handling is so good though it more than makes up for it feeling slower, plus they love to rev!

I have had 17 cars now, would def say the R27 is the best car ive had.

2.2 bar shed.
Anyone got a supercharged one yet? I can see the appeal of them no doubt, but it just seems like a lot of weight for not a lot of torque?

Pro's:
Best handling hatch for the money
Awesome brakes
decent kit for the money - a/c, cruise control etc.
relatively cheap to insure (when compared with similar performance cars)
Bombproof engine
relatively cheap servicing (again when compared to similar competitors)
brilliant on the track - if you ever go.

Cons
Poor MPG - 25-30 even when pottering around.
Poor re-sale value - black or Nimbus with a/c hold their value best.
Caliper pins have a tendancy to seize
Gearboxes like butter
After a couple of years it gets highly irritating that you have to drive it like you've stolen it to get any kind of acceleration.
Terrible on the motorway
I feel like I'm playing a waiting game for the next thing to break - this may be a Renault trait rather than specific to the 197 but the 197 will cost more to put right.

Ignore people who are saying they are slow - just not true. 182 will be slightly quicker up-hill but that's it - the 197 is a step up in every other department especially refinement and ride quality. I'm speaking without bias as I've owned both. Bottom line it depends on how you're going to drive it. If you've got a bit of spare money then you should be ok as things WILL go wrong with it at some point. If you plan to use it to commute then I wouldn't bother unless you live close to work as they're pretty tedious to drive in traffic.

If i'm being honest I used to love my 197, but after 2 1/2 years of ownership I find it a bit of a chore to drive unless I just use it for a b-road blast. In a nutshell - as a weekend warrior/track car they're superb and will leave you with a big grin on your face. As a daily runner they're costly and tedious to drive, primarily because you find yourself changing gear every 2 seconds...

Pro's:
Awesome brakes
Bombproof engine

Cons
Gearboxes like butter
After a couple of years it gets highly irritating that you have to drive it like you've stolen it to get any kind of acceleration.
Terrible on the motorway
I feel like I'm playing a waiting game for the next thing to break - this may be a Renault trait rather than specific to the 197 but the 197 will cost more to put right.

Ignore people who are saying they are slow - just not true. 182 will be slightly quicker up-hill bu that's it - the 197 is a step up in every other department especially refinement and ride quality. I'm speaking without bias as I've owned both. Bottom line it depends on how you're going to drive it. If you've got a bit of spare money then you should be ok as things WILL go wrong with it at some point. If you plan to use it to commute then I wouldn't bother unless you live close to work as they're pretty tedious to drive in traffic.

If i'm being honest I used to love my 197, but after 2 1/2 years of ownership I find it a bit of a chore to drive unless I just use it for a b-road blast. In a nutshell - as a weekend warrior/track car they're superb and will leave you with a big grin on your face. As a daily runner they're costly and tedious to drive, primarily because you find yourself changing gear every 2 seconds...

Obviously can't be referring to "bombrpoof" engine breaking/going wrong... ;)

Fiesta ST-3
Pro's:
Awesome brakes
Bombproof engine

Cons
Gearboxes like butter
Terrible on the motorway

Ignore people who are saying they are slow - just not true. 182 will be slightly quicker up-hill but that's it - the 197 is a step up in every other department especially refinement and ride quality. I'm speaking without bias as I've owned both. Bottom line it depends on how you're going to drive it. If you've got a bit of spare money then you should be ok as things WILL go wrong with it at some point. If you plan to use it to commute then I wouldn't bother unless you live close to work as they're pretty tedious to drive in traffic.

Thanks for the write up mate.

Fiesta ST-3
Right I've made my mind up AND now I'm catching the train to work everyday I want a toy so have decided on a 197 R27 F1.

I would prefer a black one but the Nimbus is seriously growing on me. So one of those would also be cool. Anyone selling or know of one for sale, let me know. Budget is 8k miles no more than 35k.

3 MPS, MX5
Right I've made my mind up AND now I'm catching the train to work everyday I want a toy so have decided on a 197 R27 F1.

I would prefer a black one but the Nimbus is seriously growing on me. So one of those would also be cool. Anyone selling or know of one for sale, let me know. Budget is 8k miles no more than 35k.

Why would you want an R27 over a high spec 197, is there any difference other than the options and a plaque and graphics?

I ask this because I'm selling my partner's high spec 197, not that I'm offering it you as it is over you budget but genuinely curious to know why you would only want an R27.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Because for some reason cs is obsessed with R27s.... Id rather a GW 197 with the same spec.

Also check out nimbus in 'normal' overcast light. It looks brown, very dull. Better with black imo

Fiesta ST-3
I'm not that set on an R27, it's just the black ones look mint and are more readily available than a full spec 197 in the same colour (black) with the Grey wheels, buckets etc.

Swift Sport
I haven't read the last 6 pages Scott, but the one I had was great. Worst bit about the car is the gearbox and the fuel economy, other than that they're pretty fantastic. Get it on some KW Coilovers and it really comes into its own.

UR FTW.

4510759241_3de5c123c1_z.jpg

3 MPS, MX5
Oh ok, so its more the availability than anything else. I was sure that the R27 was no different to a cup packed FF 197 with recaros but it did make me question it in case there was something else different.

3 MPS, MX5
Because for some reason cs is obsessed with R27s.... Id rather a GW 197 with the same spec.

Also check out nimbus in 'normal' overcast light. It looks brown, very dull. Better with black imo

My partner's Nimbus looks good IMO but I can understand what you mean about looking brown (just looked out the window) but in a nice way.

After I bought the 197 my step daughter and her boyfriend went and bought an 08 GW 197 with every option the same as ours except the electric folding mirrors. They look good together and I like both equally as much.

Fiesta ST-3
Why a 197 over a 172 cup? I can't be arsed to read.

Black F1 does look the dogs though.

I love the looks of the 197 and the 200 is probably out of my price range for a car, and if I'm honest I don't like them that much. In regards to the cup, it's getting old now. Finding lots of little problems all the time. I've never 100% loved it as there has been a lot of little niggles on it. I have a new job now so more budget and I get the train to work so MPG is no issue really.

Megane 275 trophy006
Not many lovers of AB on here.
I've got to say it's an under estimated colour.

c384b703.gif

I've had mine since April and it's been a dream. It's used as a daily so i went for non cup packed but i do plan on getting some KWV1s on it.
I've not had any problems with it but I'm 5 months off getting its cambelt done, the late 56 07 and 57 are coming due for cambelts now and 06/early 56 should have theirs done.
The only thing this car was missing option wise was the recaros but the standard seats are by far some of the most comfortable seats I've used. Mine has the pano sunroof too which you don't see much on the 197.

Be realistic when buying. Expect the earlier gearboxes to sit higher in RPMs then the later models as they revised the gearbox in 2007. Listen for grinding with the gearbox as these cars do chew their boxes.
Engine mounts are known to not be the best so check those too.
The exhaust manifold can crack so check for cracks were it joins. Normally you can hear the exhaust blowing when it happens though.
Steering wheel wear and recaro wear are also common defects.
They kangaroo when cold. I've found super unleaded helps this lessen and no the ECU 'fix' Renault issued doesn't work. A remap can lessen its severity though.
You will have to work the car to get the most out of it but I've found it a reasonable cruiser and have done 450 mile trips in it and not suffered like i have in other cars.
Be aware the car does get loud when you drive it at motorway speeds so i just turn my music up a bit more (when i go through a tunnel window down music off and appreciate)
Cup and cup packed do not include a jack, mine did. No spare wheel, you get 2 tins of the tyre repair spray stuff.

It does attract a lot of looks and is such a stunning car. I still love it and would not change it (I've had 4 cars since last year so that's saying something)
Very reasonable boot size and the 197s are 5 seaters (200s are 4 seaters)
The handling on them is among the best and they really are one of the caressive had the most fun driving.
The none cup version feels like a nicer cabin to be in. That's due to the cup having a cheaper lighter dash.
Keyless entry and push start/stop are a blessing.

Megane 275 trophy006
They aren't slow, at all. Don't confuse 'has to be worked to get the best out of them' with slow.
I've played with an 09 plate civic type R which had trouble keeping up. Was good fun he gave a me a flash and a wave as we parted ways.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I Must admit I thought they were slow as anything, however 2 weeks ago when I had the nimbus cup I had a Cupra R sat up by arse on the way to bluewater-

The road to bluewater round the back is long straights & nice sweeping roundabouts-
I actually destroyed the cupra across the r.abouts ( The clio had brand new contis as well) & I rung the neck of the clio out of the first 3 gears & the cupra was disapearing into the yonda going backwards, I guess his driving wasnt great but even so I was expecting to get beaten up-

It reminded me of my old celica- you have to keep the 197 way up in the rev band to get teh best of it- if you get the revs below 4k theres no torque at all ( something the 200 is better at)

s

They're not slow, they just feel a bit lazy due to the weight and relative lack of torque to haul it along. If keeping up with other cars in a drag race is important, then they're fast enough, but they really don't feel especially fast, and it's how a car feels that is most important. To me at least.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
how do they feel low down compaired to 172/182's? my ph1 eats up ground no problem doing 5k gear changes when just cruising about

surely the gearing makes up for the weight difference a good bit, my mk3 6 speed standard dci 106 with 180lb/ft is quicker than my standard mk2 5 speed dci 100 was with 150lbft, and is probably not far away from what it was like with it when it was mapped with 130hp/190lbft, and it weighed probably the best part of 300kg less!

Perfectly quick enough. Just a slight initial disappointment compared to a 172/182.

I felt like I was waiting for something to happen that never came. That's how I'd sum it up.

Far better car though. Slightly dodgy electric steering on the one I drove, but it was an early car, and I understand they did improve that aspect.

Turbo LY R27
I dont think they are that bad low down. I own a 182 and an R27, there is a bit more low down in the 182, but the 197 isnt as bad as its made out sometimes. I prefer the power high up in the 197, i think it pulls harder all the way to 7.5, the 182 fizzles off over 6.5 imo.

I do prefer the 197 as a car, its flatter and i take for granted the brakes sometimes!! But as i say to most people they are both different drives. Both great for different reasons.

Swift Sport
They are slow in the wrong hands, driven hard they're great.

I kept up/overtook plenty of decent stuff that day.

Last edited by a moderator: