ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Pros and Cons

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep, they need working above 5k really, but hardly slow.

Having my fair share of Mk2's and a couple of 197's, the 197 is the best for me. I like the way how its less gruff, the whole drive train is smooth. The engine will spin up to near 7.5k easily and not sound like its going to throw a rod like the MK2's do. Gearbox is nice (not had any issues in my two - touching wood)and they look epic, especially from the rear 3/4 view. Love em!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Good spec Climate & Xenons

Bet the drivers bolster is shagged as hes avoided it in the pics

s

Fiesta ST-3
Cheers guys. Cheers Paul. Will let you know. I will have to go view it at some point as I'm looking to PX the Cup anyway.

320d
They're great looking cars, and in my experience they will corner faster and out break a 1*2 by a decent margin, a lot flatter through the bends I found standard v standard.

My issues with them is for a car that is the same pace (or slower depending who you ask) as a 172 your realistically looking at losing 10mpg.

Most owners report 25-30mpg which for the performance is poor, a guy I know went from a 197 to a 370Z and only lost 1 mpg. Says a lot really.

Reliability again seems questionable, more gearbox problems reported earlier in the cars life than 1*2's judging from posts on here.

Fiesta ST-3
Why do you want to p/x the Cup?

Because I'd get a naff all price on here and I've tried selling it locally with no joy. It's just easier all round that way. It has 1 or 2 cosmetic down turns which people would barter me down on anyway.

Swift Sport
Because I'd get a naff all price on here and I've tried selling it locally with no joy. It's just easier all round that way. It has 1 or 2 cosmetic down turns which people would barter me down on anyway.

Have you had a valuation? Dealers tend to offer insulting prices for your old motor.

Fiesta ST-3
Have you had a valuation? Dealers tend to offer insulting prices for your old motor.

I've had one mate but not off the guy that who owns the car I'm looking at. Obviously I'm not going to take an insulting offer. I'm in no hurry to get one.

Swift Sport
I've had one mate but not off the guy that who owns the car I'm looking at. Obviously I'm not going to take an insulting offer. I'm in no hurry to get one.

Good lad. I used to work at a car sales and I often saw people accepting stupid offers for cars.

When you go for a test-drive pay most of your attention to the gearbox, it's the most noticeable sign of a well-abused 197 and potentially expensive to fix. Good luck! :)

Fiesta ST-3
So I drove 470 miles today to go an view a 197 F1 Nimbus. My god it was stunning. Before I left I confirmed a few details with the seller, I.e HPI clear, no insurance claims etc. Sadly I was unable to check as he had covered the plates with his garage name. So I took his word for it, only to find after driving 4 and a half hours up there that it was a Cat D. Thank god to my friend in the motor trade. f**king pikey scum!

Swift Sport
So I drove 470 miles today to go an view a 197 F1 Nimbus. My god it was stunning. Before I left I confirmed a few details with the seller, I.e HPI clear, no insurance claims etc. Sadly I was unable to check as he had covered the plates with his garage name. So I took his word for it, only to find after driving 4 and a half hours up there that it was a Cat D. Thank god to my friend in the motor trade. f**king pikey scum!

Just consider it a close call dude, be glad you didn't put a deposit on it!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
To be fair I would have HPIed the car just on the basis that it was a long drive- however if its a dealer selling it then I would have driven back & burnt it down- & the dealer with it

CNUT
S

Fiesta ST-3
To be fair I would have HPIed the car just on the basis that it was a long drive- however if its a dealer selling it then I would have driven back & burnt it down- & the dealer with it

CNUT
S

I did specifically ask before leaving and I had no way of checking as the dealer had hidden the plate and was not at the garage when I rang :(

If you have anything in please get in touch :)

3 MPS, MX5
I had an offer for mine off someone who mentioned that he was going to have a look at the F1 so I had a look at the advert and if you click more details at the bottom of the advert it does say that it is a CAT D. Which really is like most sellers, they always put it right at the end of the advert:rolleyes:

You must have been a bit annoyed though.

Fiesta ST-3
In my defence that part was not there when I checked. 100%. Oh well, lesson learned and on to find another.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why didn't you ask the dealer for the reg before you drove down??

Fiesta ST-3
I did. He wasn't at the garage when I rung and if I'd left it any later then I'd of not got there in time. Anyways I've learnt my lesson. On to the next.

3 MPS, MX5
Its a shame that you need to P/X yours as I've just dropped the price on mine, unfortunately I don't want a 172, sorry.

Fiesta ST-3
Lol your's has been in my mind for a very long time. But I just can't shift the clio round here. Px is the easiest option :(