ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 and 172 exhaust production

JUst to add to the post above about the systems I build....and what they should be evaluated on

One thing I am VERY interested in is you MPG figuars... It would be great to get a before and after MPG as one of the main Benefits of the Aero Turbine Performance Silencer is the fact that it will help increase the efficiancy of your engine

And Every Application I have done so far comfirms this.... But we do need your results as prooff

TVR Cerbera
and then you have people with 182 manifolds on a 172....lol

Ooooh the fun of exhaust systems...lol

Yep I need to make the system for a Stock Car.... Custom fitting can be done for the 'Special People' in the group:rasp:

it's ok ive got a 182 manifold and a standard 172 system. just the cat / bypass pipe thats different.

and you can try and improve my 27 mpg if you want to, but you're not allowed to run over any horses

340i
hahaa... true, the possibilties are endless!

I am gonna be fitting my 182 manifold soon, when its been "treated" ;)

LoL

Lets see what I can do :)

I will be organising a Rolling road day just up the road from you soon... (North Clifton) A proper calibrated Dyno that will give your Real at the wheels Figs.. (None of the Dyno day lets make em look good so they come back CRAP.....)Then I will have something to work from :)

SORRY ITS DEVELOPMENT CUSTOMERS ONLY :)

Right Im signing off for a few days

Matt will be in to sort his car the start of April

Cheers for now

Finlay James
Dynoflow UK
Aero Exhaust UK

If you can build the 172 system with a adjustable telescopic pipe end (cat to centre section) that should be the ph1 and ph2 172's catered for all in one go plus the 182 converted ones.

2002 172
fin thank you for stepping in :) you have answered the questions that only you could answer :)

as said my car will be going in for the development to take place. im more than confident we are onto a winner here. judging by the quality workmanship and the success of the mini system, i know this will be an awesome product :)

340i
TBH the telescpoic connection is a poor deisgn... If every system is hand made by Fin he can account for the difference between PH-1 and PH-2 lengths.

As for clio 172's with a 182 manifold fitted you would need a link pipe made, as the manifold doesnt line up exactly with the 172 exhaust system. It requires a slight angle on the flange.

Was thinking about this today.... As Gary says. Each system will be built to order Im sure I will be able to make the JIg to account for PH-1 And PH2 systems.

Of course Im going to need one of each car to do this... Which is the Longer of the 2 and are the Flanges in line on these ? Also which is the most common?

while Im on ... Another question... Regardless of Cost, what is considered to be the best system on the market for the 182 / 172. I would like to check out what Im up against :)

for the 182 most people would say BTB system if you do a search youl get lots of info/pics. For 172 I'm really not sure.

LY 182
and then you have people with 182 manifolds on a 172....lol

Yep I need to make the system for a Stock Car.... Custom fitting can be done for the 'Special People' in the group:rasp:
lol nightmare had the same problem on mine last night, ended up shortening a 182 cat and angling it slightly..

bit caveman but it works lol

TVR Cerbera

lol nightmare had the same problem on mine last night, ended up shortening a 182 cat and angling it slightly..

bit caveman but it works lol
Have you got any photos of 182 to 172 exhaust stuff, cos i've got to fit mine very soon.

340i
Was thinking about this today.... As Gary says. Each system will be built to order Im sure I will be able to make the JIg to account for PH-1 And PH2 systems.

Of course Im going to need one of each car to do this... Which is the Longer of the 2 and are the Flanges in line on these ? Also which is the most common?

Its Gray by the way hahaha

The flanges are all in line where the cat meets the exhaust system, i can never remember which is the longer of the two cats. I know the difference is only minimal, i would say no more than 2"?

As for which is the most common, personally i would say the PH-2's but there are also a good amount of PH-1's around aswell.

My car currently has a Magnex cat back exhaust system fitted, but i am more than happy to let you have a look at the car.. and if we can come to some really good price, i may even replace the system ;)

340i
As for "the best" exhaust systems for the 172/182

Orbisound
BTB
Yozzasport (hand made by another company)
Prospeed (hand made like your systems)
Magnex
Janspeed
GDI (hand made by another company)

"Currently the best :)"..lol

Great Info again

What sort of prices are the system going for. At a guess is it the Janspeed or the Magnex thats the Cheapest

Do any of the manufactures directly offer Clio Sport members a Discount?

Oooh Crap 1:10am about time I stopped typing

Lionel Richie

Orbisound
BTB
Magnex
Janspeed

Orbi is lovley, but you pay alot for the name

BTB, again, very nice, BUT the 182 stuff i've seen was seriously let down by a cracked MIG weld around the tailpipe on the one i looked at, for someone such as BTB to be MIG welding stainless is the biggest no no there is, surprised it happened!

Yozzasport - i'm biased as i did co-own the company, IMO the best there is (and i know welding)

Prospeed - seen some good stuff and some shocking stuff

Magnex - the heaviest exhausts there are!

Janspeed - been doing it for years, but i've still seen some dodgy work

GDI - not bad for the money, not my choice of manufacturing techniques

clio 200 F4Rt

Orbisound
BTB
Magnex
Janspeed

BTB, again, very nice, BUT the 182 stuff i've seen was seriously let down by a cracked MIG weld around the tailpipe on the one i looked at, for someone such as BTB to be MIG welding stainless is the biggest no no there is, surprised it happened!

Yozzasport - i'm biased as i did co-own the company, IMO the best there is (and i know welding)

let us not forget that there is more to an exhaust than just the welds.

The design of it is pretty important too i reckon....! Which in my (biased) eye's the BTB was far superior, as it ACTUALLY gave (proven) power gains.

also.... I have never heard of a BTB welb failing, but then you saw it, i didnt. No one else has had any issues with it.

but anywho, another system on the market cant do any harm! good luck with it all (to the OP)

Lionel Richie
its a great exhaust fella, don't get me wrong! but why do sexy sexy welds all in TIG where the pipe's split into 2 to the rear silencers and then go and MIG the tailpipes on? just lazy and at £600 or whatever it was i wouldn't expect that

its not the only one with PROVEN gains as you put it

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
No one has mentioned Milltek! I challenge anyone to find a better compromise between low volume when cruising, and beautiful sound when gunning it... Seriously, if anyone wants to meet, im in Cambridge and will prove it!

340i
Fred do you ever sleep hahaha?

Totally agree with all youve said on the above..

I am biased towards Magnex ( as my father works there) but the system's weigh so much! They are acutally packed with concrete sshhh dont tell anybody ;)

Orbisound
BTB
Magnex
Janspeed

Only fault with the Yozza is its either quiet with no gains or gains and umbearable noise for road application. No happy medium.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member

I am biased towards Magnex ( as my father works there) but the system's weigh so much! They are acutally packed with concrete sshhh dont tell anybody ;)

I have one and I would believe that, Knackered so many Exhaust Rubbers in 1 Year, Thought about changing it so many times but funds keep stopping me :(

ValverInBits
I'm interested in one of these zorsts.

You can borrow my 172 Ph2 too if you like.....you can even fit my 182 manifold and make up a decat if you like ;)

Orbisound is the best system regardless of cost imo.

Thankyou all for the info.

First will be the 182 for us. Then onto the 172's

Our systems will be different to anything else on the market as they include the Patented Aero Silencer that has just not been available before in Europe. (Which is nice :)

Looking forward to getting the results of the tests on the table.

Have a good Easter Holiday

Cheers
Fin

340i
Thankyou all for the info.

First will be the 182 for us. Then onto the 172's

Our systems will be different to anything else on the market as they include the Patented Aero Silencer that has just not been available before in Europe. (Which is nice :)

Looking forward to getting the results of the tests on the table.

Have a good Easter Holiday

Cheers
Fin

Does "different" mean better ;)

I am looking forward to the result, have to sort some photos out of the 182 exhaust system Fin!

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Im in the area if you need to check anything out.

someone posted above that the downpipe on a 172 and cat are a single unit, this is shite!
i had a YZ decat on mine and eventually a powerflow exhaust (ebay), the combination was very loud and offensive.

i then took the decat off for MOT purposes, the cat is weaker than the decat and i believe it flexes under acceleration which gives me a knocking noise which sounds like the mounts.
the noise is now better but not loud enough on the open road and you still get a boring drown on the motorway. YAWN.
i have a ph-2 172.

Please please please make an exhaust that fits the original mounts, this in my opinion is where all the exhausts i have owned have fallen down. they fall out of the mounts or break them or require modification.
that shouldnt be the case if your paying £400-600 for abit of pipe!

2002 172
well we will be expertimenting with my car work out what there is to work with.

one question though. what are the most popular tail pipes and what tail pipes would people want?

Clio 172 mk2

lol

Know what you mean...I had a twin 3.5 system (for all of two weeks) and it was incredibly heavy and did actually look poop

340i

one question though. what are the most popular tail pipes and what tail pipes would people want?

IMO a round tailpipe... inward rolled or slash cut, nothing more than 3.5" :D

340i

lol

Know what you mean...I had a twin 3.5 system (for all of two weeks) and it was incredibly heavy and did actually look poop

Same system as me, ive had to remount the back box 3 times now.. (fell off twice LOL)
and if it isnt falling off its knocking the heat shield to bits :dead:

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!

Stealth or a single pipe, usally rolled and recessed into the bumper.

do a search in the media section loads of threads recently.

172//Crap Micra//Bus
I am so looking forward to seeing how these turn out... have been since you first mentioned the idea!! Have seen some vids on youtube... and they truely are awesome.

Have been looking for a decent system for a while now, I agree though regarding the mounts... I am right in thinking it is a cat aint I?! Any ideas on pricing yet... ?!