ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 and 172 exhaust production

2002 172
ok im looking to fabricate an exhaust system initially the 182 as i have one, and when someone with a 172 can give up their car for a couple of days will get one made for that.

i will be working with a local exhaust fabricating company, to produce these in mass quantities and deliver the best possible quality, price and performance increase etc. the components that will be used are NASCAR proven and are used on nearly all race cars in america.

the mini club have recently approved of these exhaust systems, and a few tuning shops have made orders for these exhausts.

my car will be used as a prototype so you can all see and hear the quality as well as the rolling road session before and after the work has been done. im pretty sure it will also be one of lightest systems avaliable too which is never a bad thing ;)

i'm guaging interest at the moment to see if people would be interested. the cost will be kept down as much as possible to match competitors, but also to maintain quality and happy customers.

im looking to develop as many different products for 172's/182's as i can, without the huge price tag.

videos of the power runs, building of the system, and out and about will be made. i will also be attending some meets once finished so people can see for themselves what a quality system this will be.

also avaliable will be sports cats and decats, with laser cut recessed flanges that are needed for our cars.

we may also look into producing some 'ram air' type on induction system to compete with the top names out there. not only will this piece of kit lookd and sound fantastic but will help in the breathing of your engine being completely shielded from any engine heat.

i look forward to anyones comments and guidance.
any questions simply ask on here or pm me.

thanks for your time,
matt

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think you'll get alot of interest in the exhaust's , especially if they reduce weight and have proven gains . I for one will be interested , no doubt i'll need a new one in the near future as mine still the original system and 2 years old . Will they be stainless , lifetime warranty etc ..... ?

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Sound's intriging defo, but would defo need more info/pics etc... and a rough idea of prices too!

2002 172
ok, thanks for the questions :) the systems will be of the highest grade stainless thats affordable to everyone, will also carry a lifetime warranty for piece of mind. i will get some pictures of some of the components we will use, i can make it as loud or as quiet as you want.

im basing it on a 3 box system though it could be 2 box if the customer would like that?

the pipework we use is externally and internally polished using mandrel bends so the flow characteristics will be enhanced.

im hoping to get my system done by the end of the month and use that as the prototype for people to reflect their views. i will hopefully be offering a group by with some good discount too once the final design is confirmed and people are happy with.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Nice one . I'll keep my eyes open for more info , pics nearer the end of the month :)

340i
Where abouts are you located Matt?
If you localish i would be willing to "lend" you my 172 for R&D purposes ;)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
would you be able to a 182 style backbox for a 1.2 to go around the spare wheel well mate to fit a 182 rear bumper

Last edited:
  2002 172
sorry im just trying to get my membership paid for, but my paypal account is over its limit. is there another way i can pay?

i am located in Lincoln, i shall update my profile. i will require the car for a few days while a jig is made. of course the system will be made for you at a very good price for lending your car.

here's some pics of a few tailpipe options, though not brilliant pics, and the boxes that will be used.

tips;

tip.jpg

tip2.jpg

tip3.jpg

back box;

box.jpg

centre box;

box2.png

these boxes are of the highest quality 304grade polished stainless. the pipework for the system is marine grade stainless so is extremely durable and long life.

the exhaust systems i am producing will be of the best quality and a very good price. i will also be looking into producing other parts should these exhausts go well. one of which ive never seen on the market for the 182 nor 172 being a equal length, better flowing exhaust manifold.

obviously the group buy will be what gets the ball rolling. hoping to get the prototype made up at the end of this month. this system will be completely different to the current market. reducing weight, restrictions yet still retain the very best quality.

2002 172
would you be able to a 182 style backbox for a 1.2 to go around the spare wheel well mate to fit a 182 rear bumper

hi jim,

it would be costly as it would involve alot of bending, and playing around. though nothing is impossible ;)

again we would need the car for a day or two to make sure its fitted correctly and made the highest possible standard.

Lionel Richie
well just for the uneducated you don't go using 304 and "marine grade" stainless (316) and whack it together with a MIG welder!

since i now have nothing to do with the clio world, its only right that i stick my nose in and ask the questions, (i'll feel left out if i don't LOL)

340i
well just for the uneducated you don't go using 304 and "marine grade" stainless (316) and whack it together with a MIG welder!

since i now have nothing to do with the clio world, its only right that i stick my nose in and ask the questions, (i'll feel left out if i don't LOL)

hahaaa..

Ok Fred i shall do you a deal, you can be my personnel mechanic.. have full use of my garage (tools, work bench, pillow, blanket) and i shall pay you £10 per week? :star:

how does that sound?

1.2 Dynamique billabong

hi jim,

it would be costly as it would involve alot of bending, and playing around. though nothing is impossible ;)

again we would need the car for a day or two to make sure its fitted correctly and made the highest possible standard.

k-tec do a system for the 1.2 but it doesnt fit with the 182 rear bumper which is abit stupid.
heres a pic to give you and idea, how much roughly would it be, back box only.
182_look_3.jpg

2002 172
the welding im unsure of as i dont know the name for it, though i will be finding out tomorrow when i visit and we get the car up on the ramps to look at what needs doing.

as for competing with other companies, i'd rather let my products do they talking, as actions speak louder than words ;) also the systems are nascar proven and used in alot of motorsport in america so im told.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hi jim,

k-tec do a system for the 1.2 but it doesnt fit with the 182 rear bumper which is abit stupid.
heres a pic to give you and idea, how much roughly would it be, back box only.
182_look_3.jpg

Christ thats rough, look at the L/H tail pipe lol!!!!

2002 172
yeah the welds on that are shocking. didnt want to say anything earlier but i wouldnt be happy with that

HI all,

My name is Fin and Im the UK distributor for AERO PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS and own & run Dynoflow UK

We're looking forward to developing the 182 system and would like to thank Matt for the support so far with the project. Producing a system like this is a two way thing, as Matt has said your imput is vital to getting the product right.

I belive working with the motoring clubs is the way forward and can only benefit the end user. Aero Exhaust Components are very new to the European Car scene, there are currently 2 distributors in Europe (more to come) which we were the first. With your help can develop a brand into some thing a little different from the normal mass manufactures.

There are a couple of questions above in this topic that I can answer for you.

All welds are done by TIG using pure argon shelding gas. We do not use our MIG...I dont like MIGin stainless steel of Any grade

The Grades of Stainless Steel used are 304 & 316L. All welding rods used are 316L

Production of a system will be on a Framed JIG on a per order basis. These will be hand crafted systems. And the Jig will insure that each system will be a perfect fit every time.

This will also give the option to alter the design depending on how many db's you require and possably a choice of Tip.

Once Developed I would like you guys to judge the quality of the system..

Build Quality
Sound
Performance
Fit
Design & Style (Style is not just about the Tips stuck on the end;))

Pricing of the system.... Well we need to build one first to work out the exact price. And of course we Myself & Matt will then go through the correct channels with in Clio Sport before any sales process is conducted (At a discounted rate of course

Well that covers as much as I need to input for now, but just to add. I will look at fabricating for other models be it a one off or like the 182 project as a Jigged system.

Thanks for your time

Cheers
Finlay James
Dynoflow UK
Aero Exhaust UK

From reading on here there seems a suprising limited choice when it comes to after market exhausts for the Clios.

Most of the big companies dont get a look in due to their crap back box designs. Then you have the tuners who's systems are either too loud, no gain, too expensive or rasp like a fart.

If you get the quality right, a nice deep tone, performance gain of some sorts and a good price tag you'll do very well

Good luck :cool:

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
would be interested in lending you my 172 i'm only around 25 miles away and could get some time to drop off and pick up if needed
cheers

LY 182
buy a magnex exhaust you'll end up fabricating your own anyway...

had to cut and reweld my center section so i could get it to fit in a way im happy with

TVR Cerbera
I'm 6 miles from Lincoln. i'd like (depending on price) a new s/s system for my 172 cup. i'm after a non stealth, quieter than my powerflow, 2.5 bore system, lots of freeflow to squeeze every last bhp out. i'll quite happily loan my car for the right discount.

cheers Daz

First .......Engine p**n (This is what We displayed our Aero Turbine Silencer on for the people at the British 4x4 Show in Feb :)
SNV30579.jpg

Always good to have £15000 worth of Engine displaying £140 of Silencer ;-)

Thanks for the feedback...

It wont leave my workshop unless its spot on !!! Then we just Copy the format to get the same result every time

To build a system takes a good day, to jig a system correctly takes 2 days

So I need a 172 for 3 days in total to get it right.... And a few local customers will be great as I can double check all the fitments

would you be able to do something like that buddy ^^

TBH Jim... No

Id look at making something the would actualy perform well on your car BUT the all out style (only style @ the tip) systems is not really my thing Im affraid. NO offence intended.

Get some pictures of the underside of the car posted up...Mybee theres a BETTER way;)

340i
Just to let you know Fin...

The clio 172 has 2 varients on the exhaust systems. There is a PH-1 and a PH-2 they have different length cats.
Most companies have over come this problem with a telescopic connecting pipe.

Thanks Gary... Seriously guys..PLEASE EDUCATE ME ON ALL THINGS CLIO

Do you know if the down pipes are the same?

I have noticed that the 182 system Has a high flow down pipe thats 2.5".... that goes into a parts bin stock cat that exits in 2" then goes into a silencer then goes up to a 2.5" then goes down to 2 x 1.5" ....What the hell is that all about..lol

340i
right then...

Clio 172 all run a 4-1 exhaust maniold

Clio 172 PH-1 has a twin cat with one lamba sensor (shorter than PH-2)

Clio 172 PH-2 single box cat with two lamba sensors (longer that PH-1)

The cat and down pipe are one piece on the 172

Clio 182, revised exhaust manifold design 4-2-1
No down-pipe just connects to high flow 200cell cat

The 182 exhaust system then has a standard centre section then two seperate back boxes.

erm thats the basics.. if you want any more info everyone on here is pretty friendly ;)