ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

The clio or the Passat? LOL

Cheers mate

The bilsteins are off at the moment and it's back on standard suspension. Need to find some adjustable coilovers for it over winter, and some better tyres. Need to send it down to Fred too for cambelt and a few other bits. Then buy a trailer

Hopefully it'll get a lot more abuse next year

Has been on my mind a lot recently to sell her though... but we'll see

Well it's been a while since I've updated this but...

The bilsteins are off and sold. I spent a few weeks/months changing my mind between AST's and KW V2's - I want to keep the car road legal again for another year as I want to do a monaco/swiss alps/ring/spa trip next year in it - so decided on the KW V2's

252199_303768899733905_1128093589_n.jpg

Pretty chuffed - they're only 3 months old but got them loads cheaper than retail. Can't wait to get them fitted but sadly they'll have to wait till January as I'm off on holiday in a few weeks and helping my mum move house so pretty busy till christmas

Still need to buy some sticky rubber in the new year and also want to swap my 90mm trumpets for 120mm ones to bring the torque curve down slightly (and cos my 90mm ones are an absolute state)

Then off to Fred for a cambelt and dephaser, and check over the tie rods and bushes and bits and pieces.
Also want to fit some brand new injectors and tidy the omex loom up. But that's pretty much it for this winter

Next year will be digi dash, loom removed, plastic windows etc... but I wanna have one last summer playing on the road with her :D

Trafic 140dci
Still need to buy some sticky rubber in the new year and also want to swap my 90mm trumpets for 120mm ones to bring the torque curve down slightly (and cos my 90mm ones are an absolute state)
Correct me if i'm misunderstanding you Phil, but if you want to bring your torque curve down, don't you want smaller trumpets? I've not seen results of 120mm trumpets, but my experience was the 45mm trumpets were perfectly smooth straight line un-like the 90mm's that offered more of a peak torque...

45mm:

IMG_1083-1.jpg

90mm:

6653303945_ba4e00b72c.jpg

Sorry about the size of the last photo, don't know why it is doing that :(

Cup In bits
Lewis the torque curve just looks flat all the way through the rev range at 150lbft with the 45's where the 90's come from 150ish base range up to 170lbft.

120's are supposed to be the same gain as the 90's again from what I have heard but with more of a peak figure but also some more low down torque.

Barron & Bazoons car is the only RR printout I have seen with 120's but they had cat 422's and high comp bottom end iirc.

Is the only difference in those 2 printouts just trumpet size?

Crap update to this really but I did fit the KW's before christmas. Cleaned them all up, greased where needed to try and stop them seizing up in the future.

Unfortunately only took shitty iPhone pics and the front is way too low lol

Photo%2009-12-2012%2013%2013%2047.jpg

Photo%2009-12-2012%2014%2032%2001.jpg

Photo%2009-12-2012%2014%2045%2034.jpg

Chuffed to bits with them - much much better quality than the bilsteins. They also allow silly camber, loads more than the old eibach springs did. I set it to nearly max camber and the wheel was touching the coilovers LOL

I REALLY need some spacers though - just trying to find some decent quality 15mm ones I can use with a stud conversion kit. Spacers seem to be a bit of a minefield with everyone using something different

It's also currently driving me mental that the cars under covers in the garage, every dry weekend I wish it was insured for road use so I could go out and have a play lol :(

Trafic 140dci
I will be selling a set of H&R 15mm spacers shortly that will suit your needs. They are ally so light, not bolt to hub, but you'll struggle to find a decent make that are 15mm. But they fit dead tight to hub so don't fall off when the wheel is off, if you fit a long stud to the hub for your stud and nut conversion they are ideal :)

Sounds ideal mate - drop me a message when they're for sale.

I was going to buy the pure-motorsport stud kit (it's expensive £130 but seems really good quality and I know James runs it on his car) but they say only to use up to 12mm spacers.

Looking at the gap on the front of mine I definitely think 15mm will be about right - especially as I can run a bit more negative camber then and bring the top back in.
I can then stick some of Ed's spacers on the back - 15mm with an extra 1degree of camber should be awesome.

Do you run stud conversion on your car at the moment with 15mm spacers?

Trafic 140dci
Sounds ideal mate - drop me a message when they're for sale.

I was going to buy the pure-motorsport stud kit (it's expensive £130 but seems really good quality and I know James runs it on his car) but they say only to use up to 12mm spacers.

Looking at the gap on the front of mine I definitely think 15mm will be about right - especially as I can run a bit more negative camber then and bring the top back in.
I can then stick some of Ed's spacers on the back - 15mm with an extra 1degree of camber should be awesome.

Do you run stud conversion on your car at the moment with 15mm spacers?
Will do, yeah i'm running a stud and nut conversion that i put together myself, I bought my studs from Demon Tweaks and then bought some seperate bling wheel nuts lol.

I'm selling these as they were on the rear of the car but i'm fitting some of Ed's spacers with Negative camber :)

Ahhh nice ideal then. I'll 100% have them off you mate!

Just seen tweeks do some 90mm fairly hardcore studs so I can whack them on the front and then 75mm on the back - then get some bling wheel nuts lol :D

Trafic 140dci
Ahhh nice ideal then. I'll 100% have them off you mate!

Just seen tweeks do some 90mm fairly hardcore studs so I can whack them on the front and then 75mm on the back - then get some bling wheel nuts lol :D
No worries will give you a PM once they are off the car.

They are the studs i used, they are good quality.

On the spacer front Phil. 25mm hubcentric on front with 2.5-3 degrees on neg camber, and then the rear get some of the 15mm hub spacers. May need a tad more camber on the rear or get the arches rolled but you should be okay if you have ET43 wheels I think. Sorted.

Means you can keep standard wheel bolts or get the same length stud kit all round without messing about.

I don't think there's room for 25mm on the fronts mate - I ran -2.5 camber before on my billies and there wasn't 25mm of room between the tyres on the arches.
Possibly cos I run 205/50/15's?

I think 15mm on the back with an extra -1 camber should be ok, as the cars run -1.5 on the rear as standard don't they.
So was planning -2.5 rear, -3 front, with 15mm spacers all round

I don't think there's room for 25mm on the fronts mate - I ran -2.5 camber before on my billies and there wasn't 25mm of room between the tyres on the arches.
Possibly cos I run 205/50/15's?

I think 15mm on the back with an extra -1 camber should be ok, as the cars run -1.5 on the rear as standard don't they.
So was planning -2.5 rear, -3 front, with 15mm spacers all round

There's room on the front, my cup ran 25mm's as well as ET37 wheels! That's wider than ET43 wheels with 205's.

You've got KW V2's right? Dampening wise stiffen the front a little more, with the rear being stiffer than the front and you'll be fine. Will grab a picture of mine in a bit. I was loooow also.

Camber solves all! ;)

(May need to remove arch liners and cut away part of the metal in the arch also but that's standard)

Hahaha nutter - I think I'll just start with the 15mm ones. I don't want to go too insane with camber as I will be using it as a weekend blaster during summer and I remember -2.5 being a bit lively lol

Hahaha nutter - I think I'll just start with the 15mm ones. I don't want to go too insane with camber as I will be using it as a weekend blaster during summer and I remember -2.5 being a bit lively lol

Lol fair enough buddy, loved driving mine with that amount of camber and spaceage! Soo much grip on tracks and does alright on a dry day on the roads.

E46 M3 + Ph1 172

Not just that, we run 3degres on the front of our, and driving to blyton and back 3 times has fucked the r888's.... they must be 2-3mm more worm on the inner edge..

Not just that, we run 3degres on the front of our, and driving to blyton and back 3 times has f**ked the r888's.... they must be 2-3mm more worm on the inner edge..

Sod running around on R888's with that camber indeed, surely its easier (and cheaper) to revert to cheap road tyres when your not on track or 'on it' on the public roads.

Last edited:
That's the thing - I ran -2.5 last year and the tyres wore really evenly on the front on the track days I did - so don't really want to go adding a load more camber.
I'd rather get the spacers fitted and go out and see how it handles. I can always add more if it needs it

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Cheaper to save on insurance/tax/mot/another set of wheels hanging around/tyres and just trailer it everywhere :)

MOT UPDATE

Took the car for it's MOT today - had a little play around on the way there to get the brakes heated up and de-rusted, same with the exhaust.
Unfortunately I turned up feeling pretty bad about things, there was a clunk/bang from the front of the car over every bump that was getting louder and louder to the point where I didn't want to drive it - sounded like a loose bolt :(

Also the steering was light and vague, it didn't grip round corners... ugh

Up it went on the ramp, me and the lads at the MOT station swung off everything and it was all tight. I'd torqued everything up last weekend and marked it all with a white pen - the only thing that had started to come loose was a rear shock bolt which we nipped back up. Confusing!!

It then flew through emissions test with the usual comments about how well the ITB's run/are mapped... then onto the brake test

Every time the guy went to brake it clunked, so we got torches out and looked in the bay and could see nothing. So confused

They gave it a pass as the only things they could find was very very slight play in one bottom ball joint and the drivers side inner tie rod - both of which I knew would need doing before track this year.

On the way home it was getting louder and louder - I was about to give up on it all when a mate on facebook mentioned top mounts.
Sure enough because of how paranoid I am about using an impact gun on top mounts one of them had come loose and both PMS top mounts have gone rusty.
Whacked the impact gun on them both - went for a drive - no noise at all

Soooooo happy. It corners a LOT better on the KW V2's than it did on the Billies, the new Wilwoods are enough to bruise your collar bones. And to top it all off the car is soooooo much quicker than I remember it being. A bug eye scooby driver wanted a play on a bit of private road *cough* and the clio left it absolutely for dead. Came back shaking and grinning haha

So feck the ideas of a boosted engine off for now. Tax it, R888's, track it :D
I think I'll throw a cambelt kit on it and convert the PAS to EPAS as I'd like to dial down the assistance a bit end of summer.

3e2541b4867311e29e0522000a1fa50c_7.jpg

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Nothing like going for a hoon to get you back loving the car!

Oh and it would appear I sold my bilsteins too cheaply - as the knocking noise I assumed all of last year was my suspension (so sold them cheap) turns out to be my top mounts lol
DOH oh well

Cup In bits
Liking clio's more and more on white 2118's and I hate white wheels, I'm gona keep one set we me thinks.

Did that on my mates DC5 recently, he had reported an knock getting worse over rough ground, he asked me to replace a bottom wishbone as he thought it to be worn, removed and replaced and it had made little difference, went for a drive came back and poped the bonnet, I just so happened to put my hand on the top mount while leaning in and the nut spun lol.....he had it checked about 5 times previously as well, the nut must have been a half turn slack and what a noise it made.

EXACTLY the same on mine - it was a half turn loose. I only noticed because there was 3 threads showing on one side and only 2 and a bit on the other
Being in the car it honestly sounded like a wheel was about to fall off - never heard anything like it

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yep I've had mine do this as well! Happened on the way to the ring and my mate who was riding shotgun said, "wtf's knocking? It doesn't sound good", I replied with stop being a paranoid homosexual!! Only to look a right bell end when I stopped for fuel and had a quick check!!! Lol! In my defence though, it was the passenger side top mount nut and in a stripped out car, let's be honest, it ain't the easiest to hear stuff! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Nut gun, a bit of loctite - job done!

Car looks awesome Phil! Good news on the MOT and top mounts.

I think its a good idea putting the boost thoughts to one side, have some time enjoying the car and get as much seat time as possible :)

172 Cup plus more
Looks great Phil, makes me miss
Mine even more :-( I hope to have it back soon

As for the boost idea do it and sell me your itb,s nice and cheap lol

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good Phil
Where did you get your windows from, Lexan and FG bonnet/tailgate are the next mods for my car.

Looking good, glad it sailed through its MOT. Mines due at end of the month.

The top mounts sounded like a pain but at least it was a very cheap fix. I remember when I fitted my solid top mounts, I never had the proper spanner to tight it right down so had to drive to the nearest garage with a few them not done up, they was rattling like hell. Horrible sound. Lesson learnt always have the correct tools before starting any work on the car ;)