ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Me and Jezzamac made a tool out of a socket. Cut the top of it so you can put a 21mm spanner on it then use the hole for the socket to put an Allen key through. Jobs a good one then!

Haha nice

Mine aren't so bad as they are KW coilovers so have a proper 8 or 10mm hex head on them
You can put a 24mm swan neck spanner on the top mount and a proper socket on the strut itself

Or just cheat and use a cordless impact gun like I do lol

2002 172 cup
great car and thread, just spent hours reading it all, but before you buy anything more for the car, can you buy some bl##dy track tyres lol :)

Hahahaha I know :(

It's become a rolling joke with my friends

For some reason £1200 brake setups and £2500 ITB conversions are fine, but every time I think about spending £600 on some tyres that will last a year I choke lol

What's wrong with your tyres now?

They're Uniroyal Rainsports that came with the alloys

They are really very VERY good on the road especially in the wet - but on the track LOL they just overheat and disintegrate.

Phil get some Federal RSR's, £80 a corner for 15's.

Yep my mates just chucked some on his turbo'd 106 and very impressed with them. Gonna give them a go.
Just got road tax for both my cars due end of this month and a track day I wanna go on so tyres will be bought in May :)

It'll all be sorted for CSS if people want to have a nose around it

Clio 172
I'm the same as you Phil nearly shat myself when I saw the price of 888's especially as I only bought the car for £650. I looked about and the RSR's came up and they are solid tyres. Never had an issue on them and so far done 9 trackdays using them. Had them swapped over so left side is now right side and front to back but apart from that all good.

Update

Right then - I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Clio recently and what I want to do/achieve this year

The bodies are awesome, suspension is amazing, brakes put you through the window. All good stuff. However the engine is on 118k and although the cambelt and dephaser look new (I wipped the covers off last weekend to have a look) I can't find a receipt for them in the last 60k so I think I want to do them for my own piece of mind.
I would also like ARP rod bolts putting in, and swap to 120mm trumpets. A new engine loom is definitely needed as mine appears to be some generic bodged loom and I want the ECU in the car. Not decided whether to do the engine loom myself or pay for it done.

Also the steering is a bit s**t. It's very vague and the MOT lad said one of my ball joints is a bit worn and both inner tie rods have play in them. He also thinks the rack bushes are shot too.

So I've formulated a plan!!

£350 conversion to RS Twingo steering rack, with Clio DCi EPAS column and a controller box to allow me to manually set the assistance force.
Then off down to BTM for cambelt and dephaser and ARP bolts (possibly also cams if I can find some at the right money) - then paint up the cam covers etc... to make the bay look a bit nicer.
120mm trumpets, quick refresh of the map, and a new engine loom.

Should all be done by around September and judging by the late summer we're getting I can play on track for the last 4 months :D
I'm going to tax it and put some decent tyres on it - keep it road legal during summer as it still drives well enough to bring to Cliosport Saturday and do a few track days in

Then my christmas present for myself in January will be a quaiffe diff and a rebuilt gearbox :D :D
Oh I also think over winter I'm going to fit a jenvey fuel rail, braided fuel hose to the boot and a swirl pot setup in the spare wheel well.

Plenty to keep me tinkering during summer :D

Quaife is smoother and less grabby - the car will still be used as my road toy and nurburgring toy - so don't really want a harsh diff.
The only real advantage of the gripper from what I can understand is if you lose grip completely from one wheel it can still put power through the other.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Fair enough, I've got the Gripper in mine, and still use it as a road car / Le Mans / Ring car etc. It can be grabby and sounds broken at low speeds! Lol!

It has been epic on track though. I'd offer to take you out in it so you can see, but Lincoln is too far for me!

Update

2 year old RS Twingo rack bought - managed to get one from a performance breakers for £40!! Bargain

Going to enlist the help of Joe and fit it using my existing tie rods just to check Fred's theory that it will bolt straight on.
If successful I'll have a full manual steering Cup for a while LOL. I'll then order the EPAS rack and control box and get all that wired in and functioning.

Cup In bits
Keen to know the lock to lock difference. Might be tempted by this setup for my roadcar to get rid of all pipes and fluid and then potentially swap onto my race car come time.

Clio 182 trophy
Need to get this back up to date...

Few weeks ago I binned my sloppy standard gear shifter

Photo 06-08-2011 18 10 41.jpeg

Photo 06-08-2011 18 11 23.jpeg

Well I took it for a drive (or tried to) with the new shifter - but couldn't get reverse LOL

Oh well jacked it back up - 5 more mins tinkering and it works a treat
It's further back than standard one so not too bad to use - but I now desperately need to get the recaros sold and get some bimarco futuras mounted about 2" further down - then it will be spot on :D

I was gonna try and keep it a bit secret - but f**k it
I've bought bomber's old roll cage

DSC_0645_copy.jpg

2010_05_28_1861.gif

2010_05_30_1862.gif

Deposit paid - heading to Gloucester on 3rd september to pick it up in a van - then doing Trax in the van on the 4th
I've got till the 22nd september to get it resprayed in white and welded in - because I want it all done before Brands Hatch
Also need to get it welded in so I can go and get the car corner weighted and geometry setup :D

I was going to save up for a Safety Devices - but I love what bombers done with the harness bars on this - and it's a hell of a lot cheaper - double WIN!

With that in mind I thought I better get stripping the car today ready for sanding it all down and painting it
I think I got a bit carried away...

Took the dash out - ready for flocking
Photo 14-08-2011 10 05 10.jpeg

Then got a bit excited with sound deadening removal!!
Photo 14-08-2011 11 56 05.jpeg

6kg of sound deadening in the bin - and the passenger airbag weighs a ton too.
Unfortunately with the airbag removed the light on the dash is back on - so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do about that for MOT etc...

Anyhoooo glad I did it - the bottom dash is knackered. Someone has snapped half of it and it's held together with wood screws and wire (no joke) - so that's off in the bin
Gonna get a new bottom dash from Josh at cliospares next weekend and then send the whole lot off with my A pillars to get flocked.

I can get busy this week now with taking the seats out and sanding everything down. Need to do a bit of smoothing where I removed all the seat brackets and I want to tidy up the standard sloppy panel sealer - so plenty to do :D

What gear stick is this mate? Fallen in love with it

Well the EPAS conversion is now complete

It's a bit of a saga so you can read the full thing here -> http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?687703-EPAS-on-172-Cup&highlight=epas

But I've basically ended up with a DCi rack (2.7turns lock-to-lock same as Cup), brand new inner tie rods, brand new track rod ends, brand new lower ball joints, and an EPAS column from a non-sport Clio II

I'm just waiting for a control box to come from eBay for the EPAS ecu and then I can wire it all up and have adjustable assistance for my steering :D

Unfortunately the alternator tensioner bolt snapped so I'm also waiting for one of those in the post too before I can start her back up again.

Cadwell evening session booked 15th May - can't wait to get her back out there on track :D

That was going to be my plan last night - pull it up with a bar and try and pinch it in place with a 13mm nut+bolt - but it's not road taxed anyway till end of the month so I decided to just be patient and wait for the proper bit to turn up lol

Cup In bits
Fair enough, good things and all that.

I would end up smashing because it had no tax, just my luck.

Heheh yeah - I was considering buying tax next week but because they back date it that would mean paying them 2 weeks for nothing. I hate paying tax as it is
Plus I only want to put 6 months on as it will be having a new engine at the end of that

Doms - not sure mate have a search on google. They are expensive and pretty hard to come by. I was lucky to find one 2nd hand on here

Sonny - At the moment you need arms like superman lol but I'm sure when the EPAS is powered up it'll be cool.

Mini update

Got the EPAS working. Need to tidy the wiring up a bit this weekend but it seems to work on my driveway
Road tax starts tomorrow so I'll be able to go for a test drive in it soon

Got Ed's 15mm rear spacers with extra -1degree of camber to fit this weekend
So ordered these for the front - arrived today

a80c2a20b17a11e2b74e22000a9e07d7_7.jpg

Impressed how light they are but I'm also aware they will strip eventually so next month when I get paid I'm gonna order a PMS stud and nut kit
But these will do for now so I can set the tracking/camber up at the weekend :D

Took the afternoon off work yesterday as I've been working like a t**t recently

Got cracking on fitting my spacers
In summary it was good & bad news

Good - Ed's spacers bolted straight on, camber seems even each side according to my camber gauge, and it looks so much more purposeful with the wheels spaced out

Bad - My very expensive FK bolt to hub hubcentric spacers don't really fit lol. It would appear that the jamsport bells I run with my wilwood kit are 5mm thicker than normal discs, so the bolts they provide to bolt them to the hub aren't long enough. Only get about 5 turns out of them and the german FK manual says a minimum of 6.5... bummer. I have fitted one just to see if there would be clearance and it's tight but looks awesome. I found a guy on ebay who sells the shallow headed bolts 5mm longer and he sent me a set out yesterday. So hopefully they'll be here today. If not I'm gonna have to skip the PoT meet on Monday as they won't arrive until Tuesday :(

But hey ho - onwards and upwards. Once the front spacers are on I'm gonna go get the whole car professionally tracked and camber setup. That way I can take measurements of it all for the string method and tweak it myself moving forward :D

RenaultSport 172
No wonder I can't reach my gear stick properly! I have one of them b&m quick shift things on my ph1. Even though I'm 6'5 my arms aren't long enough to reach it properly when sitting back properly. I wonder if there is a solution to make it longer? I assume its one solid piece so I can't just swap the top bit?

For anyone 6ft or taller the gear selector on the Clio is useless.
Even if you don't have a shorter one it's too far forward

There might be something better coming out soon but I can't say too much at the moment as it's in development with a company.
At the moment the only "solution" is what BIGASH has done and cut the hole in the floor pan further back and move the whole gearstick assembly back then weld up the hole.

RenaultSport 172
That sounds a bit hardcore for me lol
could do with it being an inch longer really and maybe angled a bit further back