ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Re: 172 Cup track toy!

Not updated in a while but slight change of direction so thought I'd share it.

Sold the 182/225 hybrid engine with all the trimmings to someone who I know will have fun and share all in due course.

The new plan is to build a forged lump to cope with everything the GT2860rs will through at it. I have most things ready to build it up but just need the time. The spec very shortly will be:

Engine
172 honed and decked block
Wossner rods and low comp pistons
Polished crank
ARP fixings throughout including main, big ends and head bolts, studs
ACL bearings for main and big ends
New oil pump
New water pump
New sump
Ph1 head with light skim
MLR head gasket
Custom inlet manifold

Induction, Turbo and Fueling
Garrett GT2860rs
Log manifold (For now)
PiperX Sierra Cosworth RS500 induction kit
Walbro 225lph fuel pump
Braided fuel lines
Sytec adjustable fpr
Custom fuel rail
Ph1 fuel sender (for return line to tank)

Exhaust
Custom 2.5" Downpipe
2.5" Decat pipe
2.5" yozza system

Cooling
Mocal Laminova oil cooler
OE radiator with 14" fan
XS Power Intercooler with 2.5" ports
2.5" custom intercooler pipework
Lots of Nimbus and heat wrap

Transmission
Helix 4 paddle clutch and pressure plate
2 piece O/S driveshaft

Management
Adaptronic 420c ECU with external boost controller piggy backed to OEM ecu to work clocks and dash.

Instrumentation
Spa Oil pressure and oil temp gauge
Boost and AFR gauges (TBC)

Chassis
KW V2 Coilovers
AST top mounts
Polybushed wishbones
Polybushed front ARB
Whiteline rear ARB
Custom rear strut brace
Rear hub spacers with 1deg camber

Interior
OMP Six point bolt in cage with harness bar
Renaultsport Sabelt 6 point harness
Cobra evolution seat
Battery cut off
Race battery relocated to passenger seat area

Wheels and tyres
Speedline 2118's in white with Yoko A048 rubber
OZ Superleggera's in Black with Yoko AD08 rubber

Probably forgot some things but still got a few things to get. Hoping for 350bhp when fully mapped so fingers crossed. :D

172 cup, Impreza P1
Re: 172 Cup track toy!

^^^

That just sounds unreal!!!

WOW, sounds immense!

Cheers guys, just need the time now to push on.

Should peddle along nicely :). I'm so torn between NA and boost when I rebuild mine, so I'll be interested to see how yours shapes up. Great work!

If you want big power then boost is the only way.

Obviously will need a diff but will probably be going 02M so I'll get a diff for that box.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Trying to find time these days to get on with this is a nightmare!

But, got the block cleaned up and painted, bottom end built up already with wossner rod and pistons, acl bearings and arp bolts throughout. Painted the block black as it tends to hide the most dirt and once this is fitted it won't be getting a spit and polish very often.

aa-39.jpg

aa-38.jpg

All my the other parts have now arrived such as the mls head gasket set, lower seal kit, oil pump, megane crank sprocket, dipstick, etc, s this weekend should be build time. Also got the rocker cover, thermostat, crank seal cover and breather all smoothed and painted read to be fitted.

Ill get some photos up at the weekend of all these bits as I've not taken any yet.

Pretty pleased with the look of the parts I got made for my new custom inlet manifold. All parts are now here and just need welded together once I work out how long the runners can be as I 'hope' to retain the slam panel.

aa-36.jpg

aa-35.jpg

aa-34.jpg

I'm going to use an extruded aluminium fuel rail so just have to get the fittings for that and get it machined to suit my injectors.

More to ome with this but should do a turn when finished!

More pics and prigress this weekend!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
awesome build mate! did you buy all the parts for the block seperate or did you happen to buy the block of a member on here? if so you beat me to it :p<br><br>however i may have some interesting bits for you. don't know if you already have the turbocharger but i have one which i only used for 500miles. going to swap for a gt3071r :D

172 cup, Impreza P1
Very nice Steven! Be interesting to see that manifold when it's all together!

Cheers Mark! he inlet is something I have been working on for a while getting parts, working on the design, speaking to people and now finally getting the bits. I am going to trial fir it over the weekend to work out runner lengths then get it welded up next week. Fingers crossed!

Will keep an eye on this..

Awesome thread! That inlet looks pretty special, looking forward to seeing the end result

Cheers guys, looking forward to seeing the end result myself. :approve:

Superb Steve, going to be a bit of a tool when its ready!

You're a tool.

Class, was thinking at first you were calling me a tool Danny. lol

awesome build mate! did you buy all the parts for the block seperate or did you happen to buy the block of a member on here? if so you beat me to it :p<br><br>however i may have some interesting bits for you. don't know if you already have the turbocharger but i have one which i only used for 500miles. going to swap for a gt3071r :D

Yeah, bought the block off Gez (geznay) and also got a brand new gt2860rs turbo off him. That will do for now but may well swap to a 30 later when I look into gearboxes. Other than a few fittings I'm not needing too many parts now thankfully. Space is actually another issue for me so I'm trying to sell stuff. lol

172 cup, Impreza P1
Brought them along to the Ecotune rolling road day as I thought you be there but seen as you weren't, I sold them. :rasp:

172 cup, Impreza P1
Quite pleased with the tarting up I did on the engine parts ready for fitting.

aa-42.jpg

Also managed to get the bottom end built up with new oil pump, dipstick tube, crank seal cover, water pump, windage tray and sump. Onto the head and timing now but need to get another timing belt kit after GAZ. wanted a new belt fitted to my old engine I had sold him.

aa-48.jpg

aa-46.jpg

aa-44.jpg

aa-43.jpg

Decided to go for a return to block rather than sump so got a AN10 boss welded on.

aa-45.jpg

aa-47.jpg

For the inlet manifold, I was going to use an old megane 225 inlet for the flange, injector bosses and fuel rail mounting points but they have different hole positions on the flange so I've decided to go for a Jenvey manifold and get some injector bosses welded on.

More to come soon!

clio 182
Where is that oil return to on the block can't quite work it out I'm doing mine the same wouldn't you be able to tap a thread and used a screwed fitting? I've seen a pic on here vv
4D36AEEA-AD1F-4369-B063-625A81356FFE-5081-0000025E2A0334DB.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
Bit of an update.

Thanks to Focrs on here, we managed to get the cage platforms all build and he also welded an additional harness bar on for me. Big thanks mate!!!

Decided to go for mondial blue interior spray with the cage being powder coated orange. This will be done last as the car is not mobile just now to get to the body shop.

Also been working on some other thing for the car such as the homebrew vernier pulley setup. Got the pulley inserts back today so can get them fitted once I get another old dephaser to butcher. ;) anyone!!

VernierPulleyInserts.jpg

I have also removed the subframe to get it powder coated and fit new steering rack bushes as they were getting a little loose.

Lastly, I now have nearly everything to finish the inlet manifold apart from the injector bosses. Once I have these I'll get it welded up and start getting the engine back in the car.

I'll get some pics done over the weekend as I know a project thread is boring without pics! :)

Cup In bits
Some nice machining, you still not got a pulley after all the offers. I have still to check for my auld ene.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Only cos you didn't drag your sorry ass to KH. If you're that desperate I'll look it out over the weekend and you can PM your addy or come and get it.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Couldn't make it unfortunately.

Just slap it in the post and I'll pay postage mate. I'll pm you my address if you're cool with posting. :approve:

Cup In bits
Get the traders to send out 3 or 4 and chuck them 20 sheet or something, that's cheapness if you plan to sell them.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Had LOTS of pm's about the splitter so thought I'd post on here so everyone knows what the script is.

The material is black hdpe plastic cut to shape using a jigsaw and then the edges are polished. The shape is 100mm oversize of thebumpier on the front tapering to 50mm oversize at the sides.

The tie rods are stainless steel ought from carbon mods for £26.

hope this helps and here are some pics again to show my effort.

DSCF0707.jpg

DSCF2162.jpg

EastRenfrewshire-20120205-00074.jpg