ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup boosted track toy!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Thought I'd set about the cup and finally turn it into the track car it wants to be.

Already fitted is:

1) Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear
2) Brembo Max fron discs
3) Pipercross Viper
4) KTR Stainless Stealth

My 'to do' list is as follows:

1) Strip it out (rear seats and carpet)
2) Fit new buckets and harnesses (Cobra evolution and a Corbeau recliner)
3) Fit refurbed front brake calipers and Pagid blue pads
4) Fit Clio 182 exhaust manifold and 182 to 172 link pipe
5) Get ECU remapped for manifold, decat and Viper iduction kit
5) Fit new vibratechnics engine mounts - Done
6) Fit new polybushed dogbone mount - Done
7) Fit new AST top mounts (From Kam group buy)
8) Fit new Coilovers (Not sure on which one but will probably be B14's from Kam Racing)
9) Ket the coilies profesioanlly set up with Camber bolts and top mounts fitted

The list will go on but that is the immediate items on the agenda.

A pic of the top engine mount:

DSCF1469.jpg

Forgot to take one of the upper gearbox one as I was that happy when I got it on and cracked on with building it back up.

I must admit, after fitting the engine mounts I dont know how anyone could use these mounts on a road car. The vibrations through the car is unbelievable. There is virtually no engine movement now. I had read up on a few threads on here on how to fit the upper gearbox mount but it was still a right pain in the arse to fit. All fitted now and pleased to get it out the way.

Started stripping out the rear and found about 8 years worth on crap under everything. The car has over the years been used a bit of pack horse but has never complaned once.

DSCF1467.jpg

DSCF1466.jpg

DSCF1465.jpg

DSCF1464.jpg

Noticed this when fitting the mounts:

DSCF1463.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

There seems to be oil leaking from this. Any ideas on what is involved in fixing it? Big job??

I've got 2 sets of 16" cup Turini's. One with PE2's and the other set are being refurbed in anthracite and will have Yoko A048's fitted. Also got a of TD Prorace 1.2's with R888 rubber. Might drop to 15's if rubber becomes to expensive or there is a huge difference in the handling for the better.

Got my first track day on the 14th of May at Knockhill so hope to have all this done bofore then.

Future plans include:

Cage - either half or full (obviously) but not decided yet
Rear ARB - Probably whiteline
More weight removal
Polybush front wishbones and ARB
Front Strut brace
New steering wheel (Sabelt RSport)
ITB's and Cams (Somewhere down the line)

I'll try and keep the pics coming but I usually get so engrossed in the job in hand I forget.

After reading some of the other projects on here it really does give you some inspiration on what can be done with these cars.

cheers,

Steven

Re: 172 Cup track toy!

isnt that the gear selector , if so it looks like someone has just spilt oil over it as i wouldn't of thought gear would of leaked out of it ,

172 cup, Impreza P1

Dried it up with a rag and then checked it the next day and it was back.

There was a small puddle on the plastic undertray panel.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
  172 cup, Impreza P1

Exactly the same on mine... Tried some of this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_193171_langId_-1_categoryId_165750 - seems to have worked!

Have fun with the car, looks like it will be pretty similar to mine once done :)

I had a look around regarding wheel sizes, and everyone said to go for 15s by the way.

Is that not covering up a problem rather than fixing it? Cheers for the info though!

I think I will go to 15's but have a few sets of gyres to go through first. Then I'll sell some of the wheels and buy some 2118's or something.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy

Well - I did wonder that. I figured it might only be a slightly leaky seal, or something minor like that, so for £7 it was worth a shot. At least now I know it's nothing too serious, so I can fix it properly when the gearbox inevitably decides to s**t itself and needs a rebuild :approve: The box feels a bit smoother now too which is a bonus.

Ah cool, sounds like a plan! Apparently you will love the handling on 15s compared with 16s, although I've not tried mine with anything other than 15s so I can't really comment...

172 cup, Impreza P1

Once Ive used the 3 sets of tyres I have for the 16's I'll defo get some 15's. Sounds like it's the way to go.

Need to get my decision head on with the coilovers. The B14's look the best buy for the price but I keep thinking I'm going to get something else later on as it will only be a track car so no road considerations to worry about.

Anyone got a set of KW V2's they want to part with??? lol

172 cup, Impreza P1

Think I'll keep my eye on the gearbox level for now and worry about a rebuild when I loose a cog! Lol

Cheers for the link by the way Adam.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Think I'm in the mood for changing the exhaust as well. Need a cat back system that sounds a bit more racy than the ktec stealth. Think I'll go for the yozza race system or the oreca. Anyone any comments on either?

clio 182

I have the yozza on my 182, its a fantastic exhaust!

Will you be going to the renaultsport day at knockhill?

172 cup, Impreza P1

I'm going to the track day Scotland day on the 14th of May. When is the renaultsport day?

Merc A class

Think I'm in the mood for changing the exhaust as well. Need a cat back system that sounds a bit more racy than the ktec stealth. Think I'll go for the yozza race system or the oreca. Anyone any comments on either?

Yozza mate :D

172 cup, Impreza P1

I've listened to a couple of vids on YouTube of the yozza and must admit, it is a damn sexy noise!

What is the db level of the race system? Any probs with noise at ant tracks?

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1

Couldn't find any seat sub-frames with sliders so I had a set of Cobra mounts for a Pug 206 that I have adapted to fit. When I say adapted I mean Ive used the sliders and made new sub-frames to fit the clio.

206 sub-frames:

DSCF1482.jpg

DIY Clio frames:

DSCF1480.jpg

And after a lick of paint:

DSCF1479.jpg

DSCF1484.jpg

And then fitted in the car:

DSCF1490.jpg

DSCF1489.jpg

DSCF1491.jpg

DSCF1493.jpg

The Evolution certainly holds you in place so cant wait to try it out on the track.

I decided to completely strip the rear of the car too. Cant decide at this point how far to go with the front. I'll probably end up going the full hog but still trying to get used to bareness of it as it is. :S

DSCF1488.jpg

DSCF1487.jpg

DSCF1486.jpg

DSCF1485.jpg

Next up is changing the front calipers, brake fluid to some motul rbf600 and front pads to pagid blues.

Then its onto the AST top mounts and coilovers!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Not sure on where best to mount the rear strap of the harness. The 2 ways I have tried are:

DSCF1492.gif

And I now have it like this:

DSCF1492-1.jpg

DSCF1491-1.jpg

DSCF1493-1.jpg

Is there a correct way for a cageless car? I will be getting a cage hopefully in the not too distant future so this is only for a couple of track days.

And just thought I'd post this pic too of all the babies in the fleet:

DSCF1484-1.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d

The way you had it before breaks your back in a hard crash and the way you have it now is even worse.

Put it the way you had it for sure.

Car is looking good tho :)

172 cup, Impreza P1

I thought the angle of the straps were to be as level as possible to avoid this?

Your saying either way I'm getting a broken back in an accident? Anywhere else you would recommend?

Cheers by the way!

Not saying what Chrispy is saying is wrong he knows loads more about track set up etc than i do but i have seen a few race cars when i was at autosport with the straps angled down like cupman had his before :S

172 cup, Impreza P1

I have seem them low and high but not sure what is correct.

Is what we are saying then that unless you have a cage or harness bar then harnesses are not safe?

TrackCar & F30 330d

This is the best way

IMG_4367.jpg

But as you don't have a cage then do it the way you had it before.

182cup & 172 racecar

Even that looks slightly higher than parallel,I would weld a harness bar in,it can always be removed when cage is installed.

172 cup, Impreza P1

Thanks Tony, good info that! :star:

The way I have it now is about level so it should be ok?

172 cup, Impreza P1

Small update, got the refurbed front calipers fitted along with some pagid blue pads and new motul rbf600 fluid in there for good measure. Got a set of DS2500's in the old calipers but can't decide which to use. The pagid's are about 10% worn so like new and the ds2500's are about 50% worn.

Got a set of Turinis refurbed in anthracite too but only got tyres on 2 so far. Need to see which are better on track, A048's or R888's.

Also decided on which coilovers to mate up with the AST top mounts. Went for KW V2's and they'll be fitted next week hopefully along with the top mounts, fingers crossed!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Bit of a photo update of the recent activities.

New coilovers to be fitted and setup next friday at Kenny Brown Engineering:

DSCF1494-1.jpg

DSCF1495-1.jpg

DSCF1496.jpg

Car on stilts as the Mrs calls it getting the brake calipers and fluid changed:

DSCF1497.jpg

DSCF1498.jpg

DSCF1500.jpg

The newly refurbed Turini's with Yoko A048 rubber:

DSCF1504.jpg

DSCF1505.jpg

Like the look of the Anthracite with the red calipers but also getting the silver set I have refurbed in White. They all get done by a powder coater I use in work at very resonable rates.

DSCF1502.jpg

Cheers,

Steven

172 cup, Impreza P1

Thought i'd try in hear as I aint getting much luck on the other thread.

Can anyone tell me why my airbag light is not going out when I've wired the resistor like so:

DSCF1487-1.jpg

DSCF1488-1.jpg

The colours on The Boosh's guide shows different colours into the black plug. Is that the blackplug at the seat or somewhere else?

DSCF14902.jpg

Help please!!!!!!!

172 cup, Impreza P1

I'm getting the KW V2's fitted today for a track day tomorrow but the garage phoned there to say that they can't get the back low enough.

Is there anyway round this? Can the rear adjusters be removed completely? :S

Any help appreciated as I need this completed this afternoon? :(

thanks

Clio 182 cup

Yer the rear adjusters can be removed I believe, don't think there is any problems when doing this

Discounted 1*2 parts

It will be fine without the rear height adjuster, i had to do this with my old ph1 to get it low enough (as it was stripped too!)

Steering wheel is on its way to you ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1

Cheers guys. Told them to remove them and all seems ok. Hopefully be ok on track but I cant understand why kw make them so high at back. If they are adjustable you would expect to start really low to very high, not normal to very high?

Thanks Tom, look forward to getting the wheel!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Got the car on track at knockhill on Saturday and what a day it was!

Time Attack was being held there the following day so lots of nice cars which I'll get pics posted shortly.

The Clio did well after a spin on my first lap. Oops! Came back in to the pits, stiffened up the rears, let some air out the tyres and went back out. Felt 10x better than before. After I got some heat into the tyres and brakes the car felt great. Played about witht he settings on the suspension and settled for fully hard at the back and 9 clicks on the front.

The only issues I had was tyre rubbing on the rear arches and after a few sessions heard a rumbling noise form the front left found the wheel nuts had come loose. After torquing them up to 100Nm, the only thing I could think of was the heat in the hub was expanding the hole and causing it to slacken. Anyone else had this???

some photos of the day:

Clioknockhill214-5-11.jpg

Clioknockhill14-5-11.jpg

clio 182

Looked like a good day mate and the car looks good!

the loose wheels nuts seems common at knockhill, it is very hard on the front left wheel! I lost a wheel on my first track day and last time i was out it was loose after 3 sessions! Just got to keep an eye on them!

Hopefully see you on track soon!

172 cup, Impreza P1

I'm looking into stud conversions as this should not suffer the same heat issues as the bolts will.

Not good losing a wheel :eek:. Any other damage or just the brake disc? I think if I had stayed out any longer I would have lost one too.

Also cant decide if the rear is too low now without the adjusters as it is rubbing quite bad at the back or just get the arches rolled slightly. Any thoughts?

See you next Monday at the Renault sport track day if you're still going!

clio 182

Stud conversion is on my list as well, should help the situation!

Yea, smashed a wing, new hub and lots of swearing! There is a thread in the Scotland section with pics etc, must be the third page down by now!

i would raise it before rolling the arch, but it depends on how you felt it handled, i like oversteer before it understeers (never happens, always get understeer first) so having a bit more height at the back is a good thing for me, might not suit you though? Also, looks like your running 16's, a set of 15's might cure it?

Yea i will be there mate, really cant wait!

172 cup, Impreza P1

Might raise the rear a bit then by using the rear platforms and see how it goes.

A few pics of the AST top mounts and rear set up:

DSCF1514.jpg

DSCF1513.jpg

DSCF1511.jpg

DSCF1510.jpg

and howe the car sits:

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1515.jpg

My workshop in the knockhill Pitlane:

DSCF1545.jpg

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg