ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

Iceberg 172
i assume acrylic is too soft? Does it have to be metal - is there are fair amount of stress on it?

I only ask as i can get some acrylic done for nowt :)

Got mine back today when i got home from work made out of stainless will be puting them on tommorow nice job that laser does

i assume acrylic is too soft? Does it have to be metal - is there are fair amount of stress on it?

I only ask as i can get some acrylic done for nowt :)

I would say it would be to soft not sure of the load it will be taking i got mine free in stainless you need to know someone in the sheet metal business with a laser i evan got 4

172 (53)
Hello, just bought a 172.

Firstly hi and thanks for the great amount of info on this site, it has to be on a parr with the 306gti6 forum I used to belong to before I crashed my car :-(

Anyway, quick dumb question: does this extra mount washer go under or on top of the rubber doughnut part you can see in the engine bay? I assume under as I can't see how it would make a difference on top, but better to be safe I've found!

Many thanks.

Lionel Richie
some pics

before
DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

spacer
DSC_0048-1.jpg

spacer fitted
DSC_0047-1.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Cheers Fred.

Do you think these will do the job??

SS 34mm x 19mm x 3mm

Can't upload photo as too large:mad:

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
  Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i see, thanks for the photos fred, i got some of them washers ini the garage will fit them over the weekend and see if it works

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Does this sort out the knocking (clunk more like) sound when you let off the gas in 1st gear?

I also have a knocking when turning right, mainly only noticed when i exit the works car park space @ low speed.

Also is there anyone making these available? i'll gladly send some dosh your way.

Cheers fellas.

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
knocking in first gear I believe is down to the lower engine mount... Having mine replaced for about £30

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
knocking in first gear I believe is down to the lower engine mount... Having mine replaced for about £30

Ok cheers, Warranty jobby or not anyone?

I'd rather try and fix it myself but i'd reluctantly give it to Reno to fix (and create another prob when i get it back) if no other option.

Mine seemed to work had a little drive around on the weekend to see if they work trying the turns that it happened without them it sounded OK

Gal

A Clee O
Just incase anyone is unsure how they work or how to fit them see the following -

Thanks to Justin for the washers - Credit where its due :)

Measurements -

Tools you will need for this -
5.5mm Allen key
21mm Deep Ring Spanner
Rachet with 17mm Deep Socket.

So in pictures.
IMG_0615.jpg

Tools all lined up ready to go.
IMG_0603.jpg

Need to undo the top nut - The Allen key is vital here - So do not attempt without it.
IMG_0605.jpg

17mm Compression nut needs to be undone -
IMG_0606.jpg

Put Washer in place.
IMG_0608.jpg

Do the 17mm nut back up again - This is how it should look.
IMG_0614.jpg

Put the rubber doughnut thing back on again as well - The 3mm Washer clears the doughnut off the turret as seen above.

Gal

A Clee O
why did u undo the 17mm compression nut, ??? also its a 6mm allen key we dont want no stripped heads

Because the size of the internal diameter wouldn't just fit with pushing it on top - it kept going at an angle - So by quickly undoing it and redoing it up again it fits perfectly.

I was using a 5.5mm And it fitted fine - A 6mm was to big.

oh rite mine just fitted over the compression nut, didnt know yours was tight, so is ur compression nut sitting on the washer ? mine was a 6mm lol as fred said befour lol

Gal

A Clee O
the compression nut still sits in the middle - But when I tried putting it on over the top it just caught the edge, I undone it and put the washer down and then done it back up and its fine (You can see it in the picture). May just be my struts but a 6mm was to big and the 5.5 fitted fine (You can see that in the pictures as well :))

Anyways its only a rough guide to show people as there have been a few questions about it.

SLK 350
That looks proper ropey with the top nut floating around above the bodywork, under track conditions is this not gonna cause play in the strut tops - looks dodge!

Gal

A Clee O
That looks proper ropey with the top nut floating around above the bodywork, under track conditions is this not gonna cause play in the strut tops - looks dodge!

Well I thought I should show you that as well considering like you say it does raise it up above the bodywork - Personally I have no idea - But it does stop the knocking - Personally I will be taking everything back off when coilovers go on.

:boring:

V6
quik question wud these work on 1.2 16v and will it sort my problem when im turning wheels left or right. as it sumtimes makes a knocking sound? sory if asked already only wizzed threw topic.

cheers ross