ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

Lionel Richie
yep

open bonet
undo top caps (21mm, 1 per side, electronic impact gun maybe needed)
slap on 1 washer per side
put top caps back on, tighten with hand tools only until you feel resistance, NO MORE

job done

Lionel Richie
no, as i said, you'll feel resistance from the spring, stop as soon as you feel resistance, if you push to hard you WILL pop the spring out of its top cap

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
So has anybody found the correct washers yet? If so please sell me some or tell me where to get some :)

am i correct in saying undo the 21mm nut which has a black rubber seal with it, place the washer over the compression nut below the 21mm nut and tighten back up,

i made my washers at work

cheers fred i used a 6mm allen key and 21mm ring spanner to undo it else you just rotate the spring and dont undo it !!

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
williams_strut_brace.jpg

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
am i correct in saying undo the 21mm nut which has a black rubber seal with it, place the washer over the compression nut below the 21mm nut and tighten back up,

i made my washers at work

How much to make me some? ;)

Gal

A Clee O
Interested in 4 of these for all round the car - If anyone has any that they could send - Please let me know :)

made 3 pairs up today so have 2 pairs going spare. pm me if you are interested. can make some more next week if needed.

no these simply allow 3mm of clearance between the strut top cover and the body work, dont alter suspension heights

Do you need to jack up the front of the car before undoing just a thought might be a stupid question will see if my mums partner will be able to make some he works at a sheet metal factory

nope just pop the bonnet and undo the 21mm nuts put washers on then redo till hand tight as fred says dont over tighten !!!!

clio 172 cup
ill have a look tommorrow at work i know a good little shop for this kind of stuff i take its not a standard size washer??

Fred so thats 40mm outside 18.5 inside and 3mm for sure i am getting some cut with a laser in stainless tommorrow so just wanted to be sure