ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4 Quick Clean & More

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Working from home today, so it seemed rude not to give the car a quick wash, and fit something I've had lying around for a while but have been putting off doing (due to it being something you can get very wrong) - the wind deflector.

The zed was quite dirty (not that it shows on a silver motor), thankfully Bobby J sorted me some photos of his uncles wind deflector so I could fit it in the right place, making my life easier. Cheers dude.

Some wanted some better pictures of the wheels, so hopefully these fulfil the requirements.

Before:

8744531071_f750907979_c.png

8744559797_f86c5c3e95_c.png

8744530929_790eb90913_c.png

After:

Wash with 2BM and topped up with some more wax, I even remembered the tyre shine!

8745649984_99e051bec1_c.jpg

8745649654_0c558774e3_c.png

8745649538_b1d545c5d8_c.jpg

8745649764_57941eb1f5_c.jpg

8744530099_83302b5d1e_c.jpg

And the wind deflector, I hate drilling into your car...

8745649350_857f966e06_c.png

Drilled bracket:

8744529323_8fff83ac98_c.png

In place, just clips in and out and can clip into a bracket on the underside of the boot lid for storage :cool:

8744529711_17bb39e63e_c.png

Xenons next, then, who knows?

Commets and crit welcome.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely chap! Looking really good! At least one of us can keep our cars long enough!

Love this shot...

yraje5yz.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks chaps, I'm yet to try out the deflector, I think I may be a bit tall for it to do much, but it'll stop the mrs' hair from going all over the place!

Kev, outside my place isn't exactly exciting for photos, but I did the best I could ;)

53 Clio's & counting
You will notice it mate, I even noticed the difference putting the puny little one up on the S2k.

My mate has a 57 plate TFSi TT and putting the (electric) windbreak up on that is like switching the wind off lol

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Looks great.. Think ill get mine detailed. . Not got the skills to try it myself.. or the time

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You will notice it mate, I even noticed the difference putting the puny little one up on the S2k.

My mate has a 57 plate TFSi TT and putting the (electric) windbreak up on that is like switching the wind off lol

Ohh, exciting. I'm still missing the bits inbetween the roll hoops, but I'm going to make mine out of a speaker mesh as close to the density of the wind breaker as possible. BMW want nearly 150 for two tiny pieces of plastic with mesh inbetween FFS!

Electric breaker? Jealous!

Looks great.. Think ill get mine detailed. . Not got the skills to try it myself.. or the time

Thanks mate, Scrooge on here did mine, cracking job!

53 Clio's & counting
The TT is awesome, electric windbreak, heated leather, electric spoiler, Bose etc etc etc.

Quite different to the convertibles I've had lol

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Love this, you've even got me looking at them, may as well whilst I'm young and don't need the space!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The TT is awesome, electric windbreak, heated leather, electric spoiler, Bose etc etc etc.

Quite different to the convertibles I've had lol

I do like the TT's, maybe next.. I have heated leather.. :eek:

Very nice! come along way nice your little red clio! Must come to a local meet soon.

Cheers mate, you remember the RED one? Blimey! What did you have back then? I had the silver 172 for a long time after that!

Thanks, I even thanked you in the OP ffs. Removing that.

Very nice!!

​Looking good mate

Cheers mate, how are you enjoying the 350?

Love this, you've even got me looking at them, may as well whilst I'm young and don't need the space!

I seem to be creating quite a z4sport.net over here :eek:

That's my exact reasons though mate, don't need four seats, so it's awesome to have something fun and nice looking without breaking the bank.

Looks well Robalob!

Dad's old convertibles had fold flat deflectors that went in the boot. They slotted in above the rear seats and as Russ said, it's like turning the wind down from 11 to 1!

Last edited:
  350z GT
Very much so :) especially when it rains and I can knock the ESP off :) little tail out action never hurt anybody ha

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks all.

I'm telling you, these car's must be infectious. I think I can count 3 members that have one since me getting mine. With the 4th and possibly 5th^^ to come.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Thanks all.

I'm telling you, these car's must be infectious. I think I can count 3 members that have one since me getting mine. With the 4th and possibly 5th^^ to come.

Didn't you also buy it from a member?

Looks great. Really fancy one but can't decide Z4 or S2k.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I drove a S2K and instantly decided a Z4 if it was between the two. S2K's are great but do not age well imo.

Oh and looks great Rob. Wind deflectors make a huge difference on most cabs ive been in.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

I did indeed.

With regards to your choice. What are you looking for? I do a fair few miles but wanted something fun for the weekend blasts etc, this fit the bill.

I'd gladly have the s2k if it was going to do 4k a year, but it's not got the luxury/toys element I wanted in a daily drive.

I drove a S2K and instantly decided a Z4 if it was between the two. S2K's are great but do not age well imo.

Oh and looks great Rob. Wind deflectors make a huge difference on most cabs ive been in.

Cheers mate. Went out on a wind deflector test this morning. Massive improvement.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
The Z4 isn't that better equipped is it? Although I imagine its a lot quieter inside.

I need to go drive both, I have Honda fans telling me S2k, and BMW fans telling me Z4... BMW & Honda are my favourite 2 manufacturers so its going to be hard to pick :eek:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It depends, in my opinion the interior on mine is mint.

Get one with sport seats and you've got a cracking set of seats, some of the best I've ever sat in.

Considering mine is an 03, it's pretty well spec'd:

Heated, electric, memory leather
Cruise control
AC
Auto lights and wipers
CD changer
Aux in
Sport button (which is actually awesome)
Tyre pressure sensor
Heated rear screen

I do really like the s2k, to me they just don't feel like such an appropriate daily.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
It depends, in my opinion the interior on mine is mint.

Get one with sport seats and you've got a cracking set of seats, some of the best I've ever sat in.

Considering mine is an 03, it's pretty well spec'd:

Heated, electric, memory leather
Cruise control
AC
Auto lights and wipers
CD changer
Aux in
Sport button (which is actually awesome)
Tyre pressure sensor
Heated rear screen

I do really like the s2k, to me they just don't feel like such an appropriate daily.

Wow, that is good spec!

I was quite annoyed when I found out Cruise wasn't standard on these.

​How is oil usage with yours?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oil usage is very minimal, I don't think it actually "uses" any, if it does, it's very very little. I can't notice. I did have two leaks, rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing.

I've fixed the rocker cover gasket (fitted new one), but not got around to doing the oil filter housing gasket yet. Oil change in a few k, so I'll do it then. It may use 1L every 3k miles at the moment, absolute tops.

Most do come with cruise and if not it's actually an easy retrofit anyway, being a decent BMW, not many were bought "on the cheap" so you'll find most have a good spec, there's a few pants one's out there, but avoid them and you're away.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
The Z4 isn't that better equipped is it? Although I imagine its a lot quieter inside.

I need to go drive both, I have Honda fans telling me S2k, and BMW fans telling me Z4... BMW & Honda are my favourite 2 manufacturers so its going to be hard to pick :eek:

We've had both - the Z4 simply is a car you get in and just drive hard and although less "raw" than an S2000 it is great fun. A much more accomplished all rounder if you wanted a two line summary.

In a bit more detail though, the S2000 is slightly more compromised - less predictable I would guess is the best way of describing it in relation to it's handling, although a proper geometry check and alignment works wonders for them (they are very sensitive to changes in geo) - in VTEC zone the engine is just class, ignore the comments about it being s**t when not in VTEC zone, it is perfectly driveable and usable, albeit you will need to drop down a gear or two if you suddenly want to press on and overtake something.

The Z4 is different in the sense of being a bit more grown up, has oodles of power and you can accelerate in pretty much any gear and you're in the power curve. Equipment wise as mentioned above you will get a lot more over an S2000, but tbh the S2000 is about the engine alone really. The Z4 you can get in and don't need to respect so much and you can carry more speed in corners and roundabouts without worrying what the tail is going to do. S2000 gearbox from memory was slicker (it's been a few years since we owned it and going from memory).

A Z4 with the sound generator mod sounds just as good above 3000rpm (maybe even better) than an S2000 in VTEC zone IMO.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
We've had both - the Z4 simply is a car you get in and just drive hard and although less "raw" than an S2000 it is great fun. A much more accomplished all rounder if you wanted a two line summary.

In a bit more detail though, the S2000 is slightly more compromised - less predictable I would guess is the best way of describing it in relation to it's handling, although a proper geometry check and alignment works wonders for them (they are very sensitive to changes in geo) - in VTEC zone the engine is just class, ignore the comments about it being s**t when not in VTEC zone, it is perfectly driveable and usable, albeit you will need to drop down a gear or two if you suddenly want to press on and overtake something.

The Z4 is different in the sense of being a bit more grown up, has oodles of power and you can accelerate in pretty much any gear and you're in the power curve. Equipment wise as mentioned above you will get a lot more over an S2000, but tbh the S2000 is about the engine alone really. The Z4 you can get in and don't need to respect so much and you can carry more speed in corners and roundabouts without worrying what the tail is going to do. S2000 gearbox from memory was slicker (it's been a few years since we owned it and going from memory).

A Z4 with the sound generator mod sounds just as good above 3000rpm (maybe even better) than an S2000 in VTEC zone IMO.

Disclaimer, this does not apply if you have traction off and you either have cheap tyres or it's a little damp. Trust me. :eek:

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Disclaimer, this does not apply if you have traction off and you either have cheap tyres or it's a little damp. Trust me. :eek:

Double disclaimer - this comment is made based on owning a Z4 with double level of traction control and an S2000 without any form of traction control. That said though the Z4 does feel more planted / just easier to play with when compared to the S2000.

Any form of RWD car with the power of these cars commands respect, but the S2000 commands a lot more than the Z4 :)

Looks lovely Rob.

I've decided it'll be my next car now.

Is yours manual or auto?

​How do you find the power? Is there more than enough or would you like it to be faster?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate, at this rate I'll be organising Cliosport z4 meets ;)

Mine's the manual, I'm interested to try an SMG though, auto doesn't do anything for me.

Power wise I'd definitely say it's got enough, the //M's are insane, but the thing is, you can't really use all that on the road without either killing yourself or losing your license. In this, I feel like I can press on pretty well, I still have to hold back so I don't get silly, but I can enjoy really thrashing the car through the country roads etc.

If you're ever in the area you're more than welcome to come out in it. I'm really close to Bluewater so if you're ever heading that way let me know.

Oh cool didn't know you were that close actually. Might head yourway in the next couple of weeks if possible. Only about 20-30 mins to Bluewater from me. Would really love a proper passenger ride in one.

Debating on whether I'd need the M or not. But it's good to hear you say there's plenty of power.

I want a manual for sure too. With similar spec to what yours has.