ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

YouTube Monetisation

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Is there anyone on here had been monetised on YouTube? I’m coming close to it and was wondering if anyone had any guidance on the process and how the finance set up was? Yes there YouTube but here I can ask about stuff. Thanks

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I monetised sometime back in 2006, whatever I did to set it all up I've completely forgotten, and it will have all changed now massively anyway.

What I can say is once setup, you'll have access to analytics on all of your content, you'll see the daily updates on earnings by video and overall, and towards the end of each month you'll see that previous months' earnings figure credit your bank.

I haven't touched my setup for over a decade, and it just ticks along, every month, without fail.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Add bank details, be impressed when random money turns up in your account.

Careful with the tax when you start earning the megabucks

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You need 1000 subscribers and 7000 hours of watch time in the last 12 months to be eligible for monetisation now. Not the easiest to do from scratch I think

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I had monetisation enabled on some of my videos, one did well with over 400k views and made me something like $84. Then YouTube cancelled all my monetised videos and said I wasn't popular enough so I f**ked it off. Too much hassle to hit the entry requirements and too little return for the investment needed (in my opinion/circumstances).

Also be advised that, if you are thinking of monetising your gameplay vids, you may struggle with your existing vids. YouTube doesn't allow gameplay vids generally for monetisation without some relevant commentary - educational, tips, review, etc. Just playing a game with no commentary will result in the video being prohibited from monetisation. It also makes it easier for developers of the game to create strikes against you. Once you've hit those levels where you can monetise then simply start adding commentary to your videos that tie with the live action that you are recording.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
all i need left is about 50 Subscribers and I've passed the 4k Hours threshold. So has it been changed to 7k Hours now? Even so I've passed that too. All of my videos are non commentary,I've got over a thousand of them. If that's the case non of my videos will get monetised so all this work i wont get rewarded? @SharkyUK . Regarding the Tax, is their a minimum amount per month before you have to declare it or do you have to set up a tax regardless what ever amount it is? How would you set up the tax thing is it all in the paperwork from YT to set that up?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
all i need left is about 50 Subscribers and I've passed the 4k Hours threshold. So has it been changed to 7k Hours now? Even so I've passed that too. All of my videos are non commentary,I've got over a thousand of them. If that's the case non of my videos will get monetised so all this work i wont get rewarded? @SharkyUK . Regarding the Tax, is their a minimum amount per month before you have to declare it or do you have to set up a tax regardless what ever amount it is? How would you set up the tax thing is it all in the paperwork from YT to set that up?
On the tax thing, you're permitted £1,000 of online earnings per annum before you need to pay any additional tax. Once you hit that level you'll need to declare it on an HMRC self-assessment tax return each year.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
On the tax thing, you're permitted £1,000 of online earnings per annum before you need to pay any additional tax. Once you hit that level you'll need to declare it on an HMRC self-assessment tax return each year.
Ah ok, thank you. I'll have to wait and see if my no commentary will interfear with the Monetisation. One step at a time

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
My 7 year old ultra gamer and pc geek wants me to set him up a channel buy him a new pc to make videos on the games he plays. I think literally every kid wants to be a YouTuber nowadays!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ah ok, thank you. I'll have to wait and see if my no commentary will interfear with the Monetisation. One step at a time
To give you an idea I hit that £1k tax free level with roughly 350k views, and 20k hours of watch time per annum.

So long as you're under that sort of level each year you should have no tax worries.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
To give you an idea I hit that £1k tax free level with roughly 350k views, and 20k hours of watch time per annum.

So long as you're under that sort of level each year you should have no tax worries.
I'm not too far off that, last 365 days have been 280k views and 23.6k hours. Had a look on YouTube regarding no commentary videos on Monetisation, but nothing i seen specific.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
My 7 year old ultra gamer and pc geek wants me to set him up a channel buy him a new pc to make videos on the games he plays. I think literally every kid wants to be a YouTuber nowadays!

People seem to think it's easy money because it can look like it but I think most people that make a meaningful amount of money would say it takes genuine time and effort to get somewhere and even then you still might not.

Didn't know you can't monetize videos that have no commentary but I like that because you shouldn't get paid for just streaming gameplay without adding anything to it imo.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Slightly unrelated, but how many of these loopholes are greats ways to dodge the tax man? Lodger earnings, tax free up to x, online earning, tax free up to y. With some strategy you could potentially pull 5k of tax free earnings! 😂

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

Unfortunately, yes - there's a very strong chance your non-commentary vids won't be monetised (or won't receive the advertising scheduling). Also bear in mind that any monetisation you do get (should the vids be accepted) is governed by the content; i.e. swearing in a cutscene may mean certain advertisers won't allow monetisation, the same as if you had been swearing during a commentary on a video. Likewise, excessive violence and gore can affect the level of monetisation a video receives. Whilst I appreciate the effort you've gone to in making your vids/portfolio, YouTube tend to stamp/crack down on monetisation vids whereby folks have just hit record and played the game with no other input/effort. If it were that simple then everyone would be doing it I'm afraid. Of course, still worth a try maybe. I wish you all the best mate, but I do strongly suspect that you will end up with little to no monetisation with your vids unfortunately. :( I hope I'm wrong but I'm also speaking from experience. Even my commentary/tutorial/work research vids got demonetised because I wasn't deemed successful or popular enough. Hence I gave up on the platform as it wasn't worth the time or effort for such a poor return.

My mate is doing ok out of YouTube and does it full-time... but with 1m subscribers, he's done well for himself and been going for years and years!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Well, past week i got my 1000 subs and had my 4000 hours watch time and applied for it, took a few days and i got confirmation this morning that im with the YouTube Partner Programe. I've been going through the settings and seeing whats new and probably about 2% of my videos i can't monetise those being GTA5 or TLOU2 due to certain reasons. Just been on one of my videos and there doesnt seem to be any adverts on it, does it take a few days for Google to set up the adverts on your videos or is it instant

with regarding the Tax, i noticed there was 2 types of forms for the UK , can't remember which ones they were top of my head

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Well, past week i got my 1000 subs and had my 4000 hours watch time and applied for it, took a few days and i got confirmation this morning that im with the YouTube Partner Programe. I've been going through the settings and seeing whats new and probably about 2% of my videos i can't monetise those being GTA5 or TLOU2 due to certain reasons. Just been on one of my videos and there doesnt seem to be any adverts on it, does it take a few days for Google to set up the adverts on your videos or is it instant

with regarding the Tax, i noticed there was 2 types of forms for the UK , can't remember which ones they were top of my head

You need to add the ads on the monetisation page when you turn it on. Also ads aren’t consistent across all users, I might click the link for your video and receive the ads that you prescribed

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
OMG, I've almost been on all day on YouTube Studio sorting out the ads, and i've barly made a dent. The automatic placements for the ads and the number they use in the video is rediculas, some are every 2 or 3 mins maybe 4 mins. I've had to go in every single video and start fresh. It's a learning curve on how many i put into a video, i've got videos ranging from less a minute all the way to over 4 hours from a Live Stream, Say for a 30 mins video is about 6 ads aboout right? Doing all this is doing my nut in, it's so so time consuming. I can't last doing every single video lol

How do you guage how many ads do you put on your video?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
OMG, I've almost been on all day on YouTube Studio sorting out the ads, and i've barly made a dent. The automatic placements for the ads and the number they use in the video is rediculas, some are every 2 or 3 mins maybe 4 mins. I've had to go in every single video and start fresh. It's a learning curve on how many i put into a video, i've got videos ranging from less a minute all the way to over 4 hours from a Live Stream, Say for a 30 mins video is about 6 ads aboout right? Doing all this is doing my nut in, it's so so time consuming. I can't last doing every single video lol

How do you guage how many ads do you put on your video?

I don't, I accept all defaults and just let it all run.

i learned long ago that obsessing over quantity, type, frequency, and placement yielded very little change in my earnings per 1000 views, undetectable in fact!

Having said that, with a different content type it may well be more relevant.

I would strongly suggest you leave the defaults on ALL your videos for at least a month so you can then benchmark and see how any changes you make affect income.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think people are so used to adverts interrupting a video now that it’s almost autonomous to just click skip after the countdown. I can’t say I notice how many adverts there have been in a video.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Yeah i suppose it's second nature to just click or wait and forget when the adverts come on, i've been through one or two peoples videos today and see how many they got, some are perfectly timed just before something happens like a cliff hanger and some videos not. I might just leave it then the way it is and don't do any more and as you say wait a month. So far nothing yet has popped up on my Revenue

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Right, I've finally had confirmation about the verfication check and so far I've got about £45 so far built up but in the next Month I'll be over the £60 threshold, but i think they still can't pay me as i've still got a notification about the Tax. I'm aware you dont have to declare it if you wish as it's under £1000. It's way above my head and i got no one to help me out on this or i don't want the faff on charging someone to do this for me as I've literlly just got monetised on YT. I don't want to make this as a career just a few extra £ in my pocket, but if it too much hassle i might just leave YT for how much return their is, at this time anyway.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I still havn't filled in the Tax Form to do with Adsense. If i do fill it in, am i classes as Self Employed even though I'm not getting more than say for eg up to £1000 per year once i filled it in. What's the technicality once i filled it in, Do i need to call HRMC once i filled it in even though i don't have to delcare it?? Or do i just call them even though it may take a long time to get through to them if i do call them up

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I filled in some tax thing for Amazon revenue (a few £100 a year) and haven't done anything official for it.