ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young drivers

180.5 bhp 172
Hey all,

Im 17 and have been driving since Dec 8th 2005 and im paying £1532 on my 1.2 Clio Mk1 with Nationwide.

Are there any companys who will beat this quote?

Ive tryed tesco and they where pants, as are Chruchill and Bell (They claim on TV to be the best for 0 NCB drivers, but wanted over £2k off me!).

I live in a low crime area and the car is kept on the Drive at night. It has no mods.

Thanks
Nick

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
hello mate, it was the same for me when i first passed my test! i had a 1.3 efi 8v fiesta and i also live in a low crime area, car was garaged, my insurance was £1490 fully comp with tesco(who were the cheapest by far) but when i came to renewing my insurance it didnt change, i changed insurance companies and went to elephant and they quoted me £1100 for a ford ka 1.3 efi 8v(practically the same car as the fiesta). if tesco dont do it for u try www.elephant.co.uk
also if u can put an older person(max of 3 i think?)on as a named driver(as long as they have a clean lience and full n/c/b) it will bring down ur insurance alot. also if u do pass plus this can help, it reduced my insurance for the first year by £350! good luck searching!! davo

ps where in bristol do u live?

180.5 bhp 172
Thanks Davo.

I live in North Bristol, in a town called Thornbury.

Does the older driver have to be 1st or 2nd driver? As my Dad cant be the 1st driver, as the insurance for his Civic Type-R doesnt allow him to be a 1st driver on another car. Will it still drop it if he's a 2nd driver?

I'll give Elephant a go.

Just tryed Tesco, and with my Dad as a named driver they want £1670

Nick

Last edited:
  172cup/BMW 320 coupe
ye it will, put him as the 2nd driver.
on the insurance you will be the main driver and when u got throught the details as u apply for a quote it will say 'add another driver' the policy will be in your name but your dad will be a named driver, this means hes insured to drive the car if u say so. but it make the insurance company think that u wont be driving the car 100% of the time(even if u are) and the will lower ur premium as its less risk.

i know thornbury well, i went to school there and have alot of mates who live there. i live in downend but work at aztec west.

180.5 bhp 172
Yea just put him on as 2nd driver and got quoted £1670, but when he's the 1st and im 2nd it drops to £410:(

I'll give Adrian Flux a ring in the morning (well, later on this morning :rolleyes: ) and see if he can help.

Thanks for ya help.

Motorbikes
As its only a Mk1 and prob not worth a great lot of money, have you tried TPF&T?? My first car was a 1994 1.3 8v fiesta, only worth a £400 but my excess was £500... even if you did right it off it would be cheaper just to buy a new car than pay the excess. Wish I had thought of this at the time, might save you a bit of money.

Steven

Golf GTI 1.8T
Welcome to cliosport demon racer! :)

That quote seems way over the odds, I paid last year £1466 with tesco for my car (Mk2 Ph1 1.4 8v) but then again I was 18 and could be in a better postcode....

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
if you go on google and type FRIZZELL this company is like the babysister/brother wotever to liverpool victoria. they charged me 1600 on my 1.2clio mk1 and gave me an extra 1 years no claims wired but true. so after my first year which is the start of april i will have got 2 years afte one and my qutoe with them will be around 700 give them a try.

Golf GTI 1.8T
So Joe when they ask you how long youve had you license and you say 1 year and you say you have 2 years no claims bonus, there computer is going to reject that as its not possible....

Motorbikes
If you want to modify your car, then dont go to liverpool victoria as they dont insure modified cars... although they are the chepaest i could find when insureing my 1.2, have you tried afrian flux?? i got a good eal with them.

Steven

steven.m said:
If you want to modify your car, then dont go to liverpool victoria as they dont insure modified cars... although they are the chepaest i could find when insureing my 1.2, have you tried afrian flux?? i got a good eal with them.

Steven

Yes they do!!!! Im with Liverpool and Vic and i have an extremly modifeid car!!!

Demon, you thought of going onto your mum or dads policy. If you go to Direct line, and be a named driver on your parents policy and you dont have a claim, you also get a years no claims bonus for every year your there.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Demon Racer said:
Hey all,

Im 17 and have been driving since Dec 8th 2005 and im paying £1532 on my 1.2 Clio Mk1 with Nationwide.

Are there any companys who will beat this quote?

Ive tryed tesco and they where pants, as are Chruchill and Bell (They claim on TV to be the best for 0 NCB drivers, but wanted over £2k off me!).

I live in a low crime area and the car is kept on the Drive at night. It has no mods.

Thanks
Nick

At 17 it is always gonna cost, working in the industry i would suggest Norwich/u elephant and the "supermarkets"

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A
mitchzxr said:
So Joe when they ask you how long youve had you license and you say 1 year and you say you have 2 years no claims bonus, there computer is going to reject that as its not possible....

not true, ive got 5 years no claims (6 in june hopefully) and ive only been driving since oct 2002

Tom

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A
well i bought a 1.2 extreme in june 2002 and had free insurance with reno, then if i kept with reno for the insurance then they added a free year as a bonus.

bought the cup late june 2003 so stayed for 2nd year with reno, so in june 2004 had 4 years as they did the bonus thing again :approve: .

june 2005 = 5 years, june 2006 = hopefully 6 years

only had a couple of problems with insurance on confused.com regards to ncb<driving years.

tom

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A
no bonus accelerator (well not in a sense, was a bonus for staying with them but no 10 month policy kinda thing, full 12 months) and also i dont have pass plus

tom

Golf GTI 1.8T
Dave said:
Pass Plus, Bonus accelerator schemes. Etc

Defo do pass plus, my original quote was about £2000 then I got one with pass plus and that was £1600, and then did a quote for being 18 as I was only a month away and that was £1466 so nearly a £800 saving by paying £100 for the PP and then going on my parents insurance for 3 weeks at a cost of about £24 :)

still dont get how companys can just give you an extra years NCB.

I got 3 years NCB on my bike license at 18 but thats cos I had 2 policys going last year.

Ford Puma
toms_cup said:
well i bought a 1.2 extreme in june 2002 and had free insurance with reno, then if i kept with reno for the insurance then they added a free year as a bonus.

bought the cup late june 2003 so stayed for 2nd year with reno, so in june 2004 had 4 years as they did the bonus thing again :approve: .

june 2005 = 5 years, june 2006 = hopefully 6 years

only had a couple of problems with insurance on confused.com regards to ncb<driving years.

tom

god dammit! So not fair!