ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young Drivers vs. Old Drivers

Monaco 37/468
I have argued for a few years now that all young drivers are tarred with the same brush. As you get older your insurance premium drops, but after what I saw today I reckon that should be reversed!

I was at work in the office and all of a sudden I heard an almighty screech. Outside there is a busy main road. I looked out of the window to see a peugot 306 across the road with an old woman sat inside, with one of thost light-up traffic island cones wedged underneath the front end. I couldn't help but laugh, but at the same time I was a bit puzzled as to how the hell she'd actually managed to do it....

Anyway, it turns out that she came from the far side of the road onto the central reservation, whacked the island and took it with her. Needless to say that after the cone got stuck underneath the car was a write off, the engine was fucked and oil was pissing out everywhere...Even the steering colum had nackered up and the plastic casing had flown everywhere.

I went and spoke to the guy who owns the cafe next door to the office and he said that if she hadn't have hit the island she'd have ploughed straight through his shop!!! :eek:

Are young drivers really worse than that....? :S

Tom

audi a6 3.0tdi
it down to there reaction times which most of the time will be appauling. many of the older people say 80 onwards can hardly move but still try and drive. some times its just plain dangerous

Evo 6, E92 320d
hmm, i think u got bad drivers in both categories tbh. however i know wat u mean, my grandad is a lairy bugger, revs the nuts of his car wen hes pullin away

Obviously they're not all the same just as young drivers are not all the same, but a lot just seem to be dangerous. I had one on the way home from work. On a DC, some dizzy old bint was weaving between both lanes, and she nearly hit 3 cars passing her. I saw two cars try to gun it past her only to have to slam on as she came right across them. When it was mine turn to pass her I waited to make sure there was enough room in front of me so I could pass her safely without rear-ending the car in front of me. I then dropped it into second as she weaved violently to the left and caned it past her. I just wonder if she actually thought to herself "bloody boy racers".

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah there are a lot of abd old people, but i reckon the amount of gimp teen drivers is much higher.

jsut go to any town center after 10pm on a friday night. case closed lol

yeah there are a lot of abd old people, but i reckon the amount of gimp teen drivers is much higher.

Just go on any road on a Sunday afternoon. :S

Monaco 37/468
They need those self driving cars so they can just put their false teeth in a glass and go to sleep...Or just stay off the roads...I class myself as a sensible driver, I don't bang it about round towns in heavy traffic...But yet I still have to pay the price cos of the tossers who write people off....sickening!

Shed.
WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.......

It doesnt take einstein to work out that young drivers like to go at s**t speeds down the roads, weve all seen young drivers driving too fast, and the statistics state that the most accidents are caused by young drivers and the most deaths on the road are from young drivers.

MOST old people are s**t drivers but tbh when they get to that age their insurance pops back up again.

Fact: Young Drivers Are Inexperienced and drive too fast. Weve all done it, but weve got to learn when to stop, and learn that theres a time and a place to drive like an idiot :)

Fact: If your young, youll get insured through the arse hole.

Clio PRIVILEGE 1.4
saying that theres a bloke who ive known for 20 years who lives on my street hes 93 and still drives never had an accident i think hes got 40 plus years of no claims! :eek:

'98 Clio 2 1.2
I'm 18 and paying the price in insurance. I don't drive like an idiot and haven't even been close to crashing. There are bad and good drivers in both cases, i just think its the individual.

Monaco 37/468
WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.......

It doesnt take einstein to work out that young drivers like to go at s**t speeds down the roads, weve all seen young drivers driving too fast, and the statistics state that the most accidents are caused by young drivers and the most deaths on the road are from young drivers.

MOST old people are s**t drivers but tbh when they get to that age their insurance pops back up again.

Fact: Young Drivers Are Inexperienced and drive too fast. Weve all done it, but weve got to learn when to stop, and learn that theres a time and a place to drive like an idiot :)

There are

Fact: If your young, youll get insured through the arse hole.

There are 2 reasons why I don't drive like a wanker.

1. Because I would rather stay alive than be wrapped round a tree or lamp post.

2. I want my bloody no claims

:rasp:

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Old drivers shouldent be allowed to drive i got hit by a 70yr old who thought it was a dual carridgeway when it wasnt so he came across on to my side of the road and hit me head on.

Old people are stupid and not alert enough to be driving.

You can't generalise. Some older drivers are atrocious as are some younger drivers along with a fair number in between!!!

I've followed a pair of girls so busy chatting away they were crawling along the slip road from the M25 to the M11 at 50mph, I've had middle aged mums in A classes pull out in front of me when I've been putting my foot down. I've had people deliberately swerve across the road to stop me overtaking them. I've seen a youngish guy in a 1.1 G reg Fiesta overtake 2 cars on blind double whites...

I'm not a perfect driver, but I try to factor in what's happening around me, what could be round the next corner, what the cars in front are doing as well as the cars behind and generally keep alert. Poor lane discipline and general driving skill probably causes more delays, accidents and deaths than speeding boy racers!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Age has very little to do with it.

I've followed cars that you'd probably swear were being driven by an octegenarian, then when I finally get past, it's some youngster with their face against the windscreen not having even the slightest clue what the f*** they should be doing - so unaware of what's around them too.

Clio 182

Some young chav sounded like he launched himself down my road earlier and straight over the humped roundabout. :rolleyes:

Yes very old people are slower reaction wise, but there is a significantly large proportion of young boys who drive like complete c***s and like to show off. CS is evidence of this let alone going out on the road.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I have to agree that old drivers are not as capable as young drivers and so if they drive they are not impressively safe imo, however I know why young drivers are classed as worse. I have had 2 accidents in almost 3 years of driving, are you ready for the worse bit? I didn't crash because of speed, I crashed because I lost concentration as I was going along at a legal speed. this is why young drivers are not as good, we are not as good at staying focussed on what we are doing and most young people are very easily distracted. as you grow older it takes more to distract you and you have gained the experience needed to be completely safe on the roads.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
saying that theres a bloke who ive known for 20 years who lives on my street hes 93 and still drives never had an accident i think hes got 40 plus years of no claims! :eek:

I've been driving for 39 years. I've never had an at-fault claim. The only claims I ever had were when someone else hit me and I had to go to my insurance company to get my car fixed, and let them sort it out with the other guy and his.

In road safety there are a lot of U-shaped curves. One is rate of crashing versus age. Young drivers have a high numberr of crashes, often related to risk-taking (speeding, drinking, showing off) and inattention. Then as they grow up their rate of crashes falls. The safest drivers on the road are the middle-aged from 30-55. But as they get old their relexes slow down and the senses fail them and their rate of crashing rises again.

Young drivers crashes are often severe because speed is involved, so there are lots of deaths from them. They are a risk not just to themselves but to everyone else too. Elderly drivers crashes rarely involve speed so they are low-severity, and usually the only deaths are the elderly themselves because of their frailty. They suffer serious injuries from minor crashes. They have heart attacks in the leadup, process or aftermath of the crash. They're little risk to anyone else.

So we could cut the number of crashes and deaths massively by simply not issuing licences to anyone until they were 25, and taking them back off them at 60. And most of the remaining crashes would be alcohol-related, so we could get road deaths to not far above zero by banning that too.

Monaco 37/468
There will always be road kill no matter what you do. It's just a way of keeping drivers down...like diseases are a way of keeping the population at a sensible level.

Clio 172 mk2

Some young chav sounded like he launched himself down my road earlier and straight over the humped roundabout. :rolleyes:

Yes very old people are slower reaction wise, but there is a significantly large proportion of young boys who drive like complete c**ks and like to show off. CS is evidence of this let alone going out on the road.

What are you saying about CS....has it got something to do with all the road racing stories and tangles with supercars etc lol

I wouldn't say one group is worse than the other...depends where you live as well as to how much you come into contact with bad drivers.

I for instance live in an area where there are probably more older folk so get continually held up at 40mph everywhere:(

Rather that though that a bunch of spotty cnuts trying to climb into my boot in their corsas etc

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I overtook a car the other day on a straight A road and the old bugger i overtook was waving his fists and shouting something as i went past.
Silly old sod

ian

Im 18 and a sensible driver, although thats probably because all my mates have either lost their license for drink driving or they have all wrote their cars off trying to show off. I was in the car a few weeks ago with a mate who started drinking a 3L bottle of cider while driving down the motorway at 70, havent been in car with him since.

Prefer to drive my own car as i dnt try and show off or drive at excessive speeds although i have to rev the balls outta my 1.2 to get it off the lights lol.

My insurance was nearly 3000

n2x

e60/f10
Im 18 and a sensible driver, although thats probably because all my mates have either lost their license for drink driving or they have all wrote their cars off trying to show off. I was in the car a few weeks ago with a mate who started drinking a 3L bottle of cider while driving down the motorway at 70, havent been in car with him since.

Prefer to drive my own car as i dnt try and show off or drive at excessive speeds although i have to rev the balls outta my 1.2 to get it off the lights lol.

I would remove a friend from my friends list if i ever saw one of them drinking while driving or driving while being drunk.

Monaco 37/468

I would remove a friend from my friends list if i ever saw one of them drinking while driving or driving while being drunk.

Yeah would be a start :approve:

You can't generalise. Some older drivers are atrocious as are some younger drivers along with a fair number in between!!!

I've followed a pair of girls so busy chatting away they were crawling along the slip road from the M25 to the M11 at 50mph, I've had middle aged mums in A classes pull out in front of me when I've been putting my foot down. I've had people deliberately swerve across the road to stop me overtaking them. I've seen a youngish guy in a 1.1 G reg Fiesta overtake 2 cars on blind double whites...

I'm not a perfect driver, but I try to factor in what's happening around me, what could be round the next corner, what the cars in front are doing as well as the cars behind and generally keep alert. Poor lane discipline and general driving skill probably causes more delays, accidents and deaths than speeding boy racers!
To be fair mate the bends on that exit are quite severe seen so many overturned cars/hgv's there.