ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yokohama Parada Spec-2 OR Toyo Proxes T1-R's?

Rusty Cup
i wrote my car off when it had paradas on :( they are amazing in the dry but have next to no grip in the wet and the first time i found that out was the last time i drove the car lol

I have Toyo T1R's on the clio now they seem good enough all round and seem to last well.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not used the yoko's, but happy with the t1-r's. Protyre are very good, expensive, but very good (balancing, looking after your wheels etc).

I always get T1-R's for mine because they're a decent price.

Always found them good on the road but wasn't very impressed with them on track the other week. Depends what you use them for though.

Bought 205's last time instead of 195's and thought they were much better, think there was about £10 per tyre in the difference.

421 Cammed 172
I rate the Toyo Proxies-4.

Ive thrashed the car in the Dry, Damp and Wet and they've done well in all conditions.

Ive got paradas that are on the limit with the edges gone and they still grip in the wet. Dont drive like a villian in the wet and you should be fine. I can average 70 rounds fairly sharp corners in the wet with no sliding/loss of grip. In the dry they dont seem to stop gripping imo

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i really cant work this out!!! Some people say that paradas are a death trap in the wet and others say they are brilliant! WTF?! :S

172 Cup
A mate of mine from work had Parada's on his lancia intergrale and he said that they are s**t, but at the same time another mate of mine with a scooby sti running over 400bhp loves them! I don't know whether or not they just make a lot of bad batches?!

Toyo's for the win!!

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I think a lot of reviews on tyres come from people who haven't tried other tyres to be able to compare and so you get mixed ratings.

I had 195/50/15 Toyo T1-R on my car before and have just bought 4 new yoko parada spec 2 in the same size. They're going on the same car with the same suspension so it's the only way to compare.

Octavia vRS tfsi
I have been through a few sets of T1R on my 172. Downside is soft compound and soft sidewalls when on track. For the price they can be purchased I don't particularly care that they only last about 8k.

I put one set of Parada II's on and replaced them well before they showed any major signs of wear. Thought they were absolutely terrible. Will never buy them again. In the wet they were plain dangerous. The car would pull and skip when touching white lines in the middle of the road.

106 GTI
Im finding the sidewalls very soft on the paradas (195/50/15) giving a lot of tyre flex

Track 172cup
probably one of the main reasons for mixed reviews of tyres is that they perform differently depending on what car their on, some are more suited to heavier or lighter cars, 4wd/fwd/rwd and the suspension setup probably is a factor aswell

Ph2 172 Cup
I've used both on the road and on the track.

There's really not that much between them. The wet performance isn't quite up to the standard of something like PE2s but (in my opinion and sorry to anyone I offend) they are both fine in the wet and anyone who doesn't temper their driving style to suit the road conditions is asking for trouble.

On the track you'll also struggle to tell the difference (unless you're a pro in which case I don't suppose you'd be asking for tyre advise). The comment about the soft sidewalls on the Yoko's is correct and leads to slightly higher wear on the edges of the tyres. If you want track tyres buy RS2s, R888s or A048s.

All things considered, T1-Rs get my vote. They are a good all round tyre at a good price.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
Ive got the yokohama's, had them on the car for around 3 months and they seam fine. Only real issue is the rate of wear, done 3000miles including 3 sprints and the fronts are looking way passed their best, the tread around the main groove almost looks like its melted.

As others have said the side walls seam quite soft which I'm sure you can feel on track but i've never found it a problem on the road.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im running 195/50/15's on mine (Toyo's) and find them excellent.

Shiit to a blanket, not bad in the wet, but then if you drive like a tit in the wet you deserve to end up in a hedge

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
personally i throw F1's in to the balance

similar price to toyos and very good compared to toyos

would have them again

Evo 6, E92 320d
i wrote my car off when it had paradas on :( they are amazing in the dry but have next to no grip in the wet and the first time i found that out was the last time i drove the car lol

I have Toyo T1R's on the clio now they seem good enough all round and seem to last well.

Same situation, i had paradas on the front and among other things meant i lost all grip when braking and went into the back of someone. I now have t1-r's on my 172 (fronts) and they are great for what little they cost, look good as well.

Rusty Cup
Parada's + Wet = good bye clio :(

2008_0419carnick0288-1.jpg

i was within the speed limit, yes i might have hit oil or something but this wasnt the first time i had felt unsafe due to there lack of wet grip, maybe tyre pressure was a factor blah blah blah

My comments are based on my experiences take them how you like :D

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I've now got 195/50/15 Paradas on my car, driven it in wet and dry and didn't feel unsafe at all in the wet. Would say they are about the same as T1-R. I have now tried both tyres on the same car and in the same size.

in the dry paradas are brilliant, i adore them tbh

in the wet there is defo better, but thats ok because i drive like a pussy in the wet

I really rate the paradas, just got a brand new set and they handle well in both wet and dry. I wouldnt drive on a road I didnt know like a tool with them on in wet though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
in the dry paradas are brilliant, i adore them tbh

in the wet there is defo better, but thats ok because i drive like a pussy in the wet
Doesn't matter IMO. The wet grip isn't good enough (IMO), and that'll manifest under emergency braking regardless of how easy you take it.
The T1r's are decent enough, but I'm going back to F1's for winter.

yes it does... if you go slower, you stop shorter. regardless of weather conditions, they are by no means a BAD tyre in the wet

106 GTI
I was dreading mine in the wet with all these horror stories but driving normally it didnt break traction once

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
yes it does... if you go slower, you stop shorter. regardless of weather conditions, they are by no means a BAD tyre in the wet
There is a tangible difference at normal Mway speeds though, enough to stop me buying them.

Renault Clio Sport 172
I had toyo t1's on my civic type r and loved them it was the only tyres that made 2nd gear anything other than useless in the damp/wet conditions but i found the edges wore quickly on them even tho it was even wear.

The yoko's were great didnt have any problems or notice any poor handling in wet conditions it was on a less powerful car but the wear was better on these very even and edges lasted longer.

Its 1 of those decisions that come down to your preference some will rave about toyo's some about the yoko's both are good tyres IMO.

I'll personally go for the Toyo's when it come to new tyres.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Paradas excellent in dry, but soft side walls.
In wet was like someone else driving the car horrible:S

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lol the mixed reviews on the paradas are scary I remember I was looking to buy them a few months back.

What I can say is the dry grip is nothing short of epic and I really mean that word! They are a soft compound tyre and on a dry or warm day these things could make you a lot quicker than normal.

The pumas are known for excellent handling but the tyres have really transformed the car, I think due to the poor tyres that were on the car the paradas have had more of an impact but i'm really glad I choose them after reading lots about them.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them to anybody looking for a grippy dry tyre.

As for the wet handling problems i'll probably never be going quick enough to test them to there limit, there is no need to drive quick and on m/ways warren you should adjust your speed to the conditions surely?

Clio kid i'm sorry for being a t**t but you cannot blame crashes like that on tyres, if the tyres were that unsafe they wouldn't be for sale.

I drive like a pussy in the wet because i've seen what can happen, that's why this tyre suits me to the ground.

Cheers again for the recomendation Naith :eek:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As for the wet handling problems i'll probably never be going quick enough to test them to there limit, there is no need to drive quick and on m/ways warren you should adjust your speed to the conditions surely?
Regardless of the speed, the ultimate braking distance will be increased on the parada's when compared to the f1 etc.

Rusty Cup
Clio kid i'm sorry for being a tw*t but you cannot blame crashes like that on tyres, if the tyres were that unsafe they wouldn't be for sale.

I agree with your point in theory, but ive been driving for 9 years and the only crash i have had is this one. I nearly died driving within the speed limit and i dont believe my driving was at fault, my comments are based on my experiences but i agree you shouldnt have to blame crashes like that on tyres, unless you crashed as a result of a loss of grip :)

Rusty Cup
For what its worth im thinking of doing Eagle F1's next, they sounds consistently good. Any thoughts on how they perform against Pe2's.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Paradas excellent in dry, but soft side walls.
In wet was like someone else driving the car horrible:S

They had more grip when they were newer in the dry and wet. Worn to 4-5mm it was interesting to say the least.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Regardless of the speed, the ultimate braking distance will be increased on the parada's when compared to the f1 etc.
I had the same discussion when I was buying these tyres, we were saying about sudden changes in direction in the wet ect...

You definitely have a point mate.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had the same discussion when I was buying these tyres, we were saying about sudden changes in direction in the wet ect...

You definitely have a point mate.
It's personal preference and circumstances in the end. I do a lot of miles for work, regardless of weather conditions. Whereas someone that doesn't cover as many miles, won't have the same demands of a tyre.
Objectively I'd imagine the Exalto and the F1 perform fairly equally, but I wouldn't ever have Exalto's again, I just don't like the feel.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would never buy something like yoko's to do a lot of miles, they are probably the softest road tyre out there. Lols I think I could peel the sidewall with my nails.

Worth it for that dry/hot day imo.