ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another test drive story of 197....

BMW 330d :)
After all the good things Ive been hearing about the 197 in the press I decided to go to my local dealership and see if I could get a test drive in one.To my suprise the guy said that wouldnt be a problem, asked what car I had at the moment (172 cup) and asked if I wanted him to give me figures for my car against a new 197 which I said would be fine.

So away he went to have a look round my car which he said was spotless and then attempted to offer me £6000 for it. This wasnt anywhere near the figure I had in mind so I politely refused. He went on to say I should have no problem getting £7500 private for it which kind of cheered me up. He said that it was a mint example and had obviously been very well cared for. (I made sure I washed it and valeted it before I went to the dealers.... ;) )However I had to laugh when the salesman gave the on the road price of £15995 with no options for the 197 and he didnt want to shift on price.... He also said I would have to wait until october if I ordered my own spec now! No chance!

I got to have a look at the new 197 which was sitting in the showroom, most of the optional extras included, xenons, cornering lights, metallic etc and I must admit it did look nice in the metal. It was finished in the nimbus blue and after seeing the red one I defintitely prefered the blue. The interior is what really impressed me the most on the car, much better fit, finish and quality of materials used. Nice driving postion, chunky wheel and six speed gearbox. The seats were also really supportive, reanultsport stitched into the headrests, white stitching round the edges and metallic trim in the seat fabric weave. Different class to my current 172 cup interior. The seats were so good in fact I probably wouldnt go for the buckets which I think look a bit weird...

They had to move two cars out the way in the showroom to get the 197 out and they started it up in the showroom. It had a nice noise but was very similar on the outside to my car. I followed the car out and the salesman got in it with me to explain the smart keyless go which just had to be in your pocket to start the car with the start/stop button. (Which I thought was nice).

He told me to take it easy as it had just been delivered to the dealership and had a grand total of 18 miles on it. So i pulled off gingerly, gradually increasing the pressure on the right foot. It didnt have the same immediate responses as my cup but that was probably due to it being very tight, and having a bit more weight to pull about.

I was allowed out for around 20 mins, getting a mixture of town and motorway driving, to allow me to get a feel for the car. I was impressed by the gearbox initially, as it seemed to have a much shorter and more positive feel than my car. However it was very stiff as the car was brand new. The brakes were also nice and sharp, which I was expecting. I got a chance to start to increase the speed and was very impressed by the body control of the car, almost no body roll and massive grip from the 215 tyres. This was one major improvement I found over my car.

Another was the sound from inside the car, which was deep and gruff, sounding sportier than my 172 cup ever did. The salesman even commented on this as I gave the car some right foot action. ;) I continued onto the motorway and found the gearing very close, especially 4th and 5th, which hardly altered the revs I was pulling when I changed up. The kick was still there at 5k rpm but not as pronounced and it seemed to take longer to build up, (most of which was probably due to its tightness). The car was also getting loads of looks, one guy at a set of lights pulling alongside and stopping by the car, leaving a 50 mtr gap to the car in front of him just so he could gawp..... ;)

I got the car back to the dealership and was very impressed. It didnt seem to have the same outright punch as my car, but it handled very well, was much better built, looked aggressive, sounded good and was very refined at motorway speeds and over bumps, (where I would have lost my fillings in my cup! ;) ) But until the price comes down and a cup version appears I wont be buying!

Here are some pics I took of the car, one in the showroom and two outside after my drive. I apologise for the pics but the salesman thought I was a real muppet taking loads of photos of a car! ;)

Instead of a 197 it could be a used 350Z, elise or mk2 v6.... :p

Let me know what you think....

Cheers

Fraser

Attachments

• DSC00357.JPG
    DSC00357.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
  Octavia VRS
Nice review mate. I popped into the local stealers and they had a red one in the showroom (already purchased) but no demo :(

Gotta say that the looks are winning me over and the interior quality is so much better.

The dealership I went into had a red one and sold it within 5 days of it being in the showroom. However they didnt tell the guy who bought it they were getting this one in, he came back in and wanted to trade it in for the blue one! He was gutted by all accounts! ;)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
guid review fraser, was that rannoch drive stealer?

the blue looks sharp - but i agree i think its worth waiting for a cup/ trophy version

£15995 no reduction is niggeredly. Id say sell up privately for £6800ish

R20 CWH said:
guid review fraser, was that rannoch drive stealer?

the blue looks sharp - but i agree i think its worth waiting for a cup/ trophy version

£15995 no reduction is niggeredly. Id say sell up privately for £6800ish

Nah it was the bishopbriggs branch. Rannoch drive were arsing me about saying that they had to ask renaults permission to let me out for a test drive and never called me back.... Good way to lose a potential purchase, especially when I bought a car off them not long ago. Bishopbriggs seemed much friendlier.

I've tried the 225 without the cup packs also before and didnt like it at all. It felt less responsive than my car due to the turbo engine, not any quicker and it didnt handle very IMO. The 225 cup and f1 may handle better but the car is too big for my liking...

Yeah I wasnt a fan until I saw one in the metal. Looks more aggressive than it appears in the photos. I'd wait for a cup version though. The std one handles better than any 182 model according to autocar. The 197 cup will handle like a sports car.

Frasers Cup said:
Yeah I wasnt a fan until I saw one in the metal. Looks more aggressive than it appears in the photos. I'd wait for a cup version though. The std one handles better than any 182 model according to autocar. The 197 cup will handle like a sports car.

I agree 100%

I was trying to reserve judgement before seeing and driving one, but made no secret of the fact that I didnt like the looks. Now, having seen one in the flesh, I think they are gorgeous. It has a real small but chunky muscular feel to the whole car. Sleek but chunky. Stubby but sexy. The wheels look much better in the metal too and are far better looking than most other contrived arty farty designs we are seeing these days on VXRs and STs for example. The 197 looks like a 'machine', with a purpose. It looks designed to be a driving tool and the end result was that it just ended up looking good as a by-product.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
ive decided i now really like it and thuink ill get one once the prices come down.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Frasers Cup said:
Yup and twin exhausts, wider wings etc ;)

are the rear wings (quarter panels) bigger like the old valvers and williams? or are the thet same as the 1.2s like the 172/182's?

if that makes sence lol

NEED V6!
The 197 looks really poor, I'd get a V6 as the MK2 is now a collectors item and the sound from one will put a big smile on yah face, I will be getting my V6 in May-June time next year. :race:

M

mij29

Sorry, just don't like em.... Yet anyway.
Give me a 172/182 any day of the week!

172 Cup
Frasers Cup said:
...he came back in and wanted to trade it in for the blue one! He was gutted by all accounts! ;)

What a tosser! He should've known the range of colours before he purchased.