ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet another Footwell Lighting Help! Wtf do i cut??

As above, i feel stupid as it is posting yet another thread about this as i mustve read the other 50 threads 5x over and still cant get my head around it.

All im after is footwell lighting that comes on when the doors open and goes off with the interior lamp etc. No switches, no constant on bullsh, no connected to battery with relays and wtf, just on with the doors opening and closing lark. No blue xenon shite, just pure white LED for a more OEM look.

What ive gathered is i need: 2x LED strips. Around 3 meteres of 2 core cable? and some sort of wire crimps?

Secure strips where i want.. Check.
Wire to LED strips.. Check.
Run cable from under dash, up A pillar, under roof lining to interior lamp.. Check.

Wtf do i do then? Cut the red wire in the lamp and???? Or do i not cut that wire? Feel like im in a Lethal Weapon film. im hopeless.
Someone tell me what to cut, what to connect to and what to connect with and ill be sound!

Thanks for any help!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
There must be a positive and negative going to the bulb in the ceiling light, you want to tap in to that whether it be to the cable going to that light or the terminals on the light.
Does the ceiling light dim on a clio, fairly certain it does. This might cause the LEDs to flicker as the power reduces but wont have any impact on them.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Scotch locks all the way - can't go wrong

smackbum.gif

Do it properly or don't do it.

When I did it I just soldered straight on to the connections for the main bulb - that way the strips are turned on and off with the bulb AND you can turn them on manually with the interior light too.

As above, solder straight to the door circuit. Not cutting or splicing needed. On my previous 172 someone wrapped the bare live and bare neg around the circuit strips, wouldnt advise this in case its shorts. 12v isn't much but roof lining is highly flammable!!!!....

Clio 182
smackbum.gif

Do it properly or don't do it.

When I did it I just soldered straight on to the connections for the main bulb - that way the strips are turned on and off with the bulb AND you can turn them on manually with the interior light too.

Dnt see a problem with scotch locks are - as they are removable and self insulating, and eliminate the risk of cutting wires too short. Would consider them more effective than bullet/butt connectors - if the op is looking at using such as an alternative to soldering