ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yellow gunk under oil filler cap

Corolla T-Sport
I know there is threads on this problem, however I just wanted to double check that it's not the HG. Am I correct in believing this is condensation build up? The car is run twice a day for a 10 mile run, mainly on A roads, you would think that would be long enough for it to warm up. I can't say how quickly I have lost coolant but it is heading towards the minimum marker, no gunk in the coolant.

From reading the 1.2 16v is notorious for this issue? Cheers.

IMG_2697.JPG

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Doesn't look nice though.. I made my friend sell his 1.2 when this happened before I heard of the condensation thing haha!

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
This happened on my mates old 1.2, garage checked it out and it was fine, condensation as you say.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Do a lot of short journeys?

Just realised you have a 1.2, it'll definitely be condensation, they're really prone to it if you don't do a lot of long journeys.

Corolla T-Sport
Is that 10 miles quick though? Do you cover those 10 miles in 20 minutes? I wouldn't expect it to occur from 10 mile journeys, but having had it when I had a 1.2, it wouldn't bother me at all.
25 minutes on average.

I'll just keep an eye on it, thanks for the help fellas

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'd be concerned about the coolant loss. It's a sealed system so it's either leaking, or making it's way into the engine. Either way it needs investigating.

You can have it looked at though, there are sniffer tests etc that can be done quickly and cheaply to identify if its HG related. Be worth a good mooch arround under the bonnet to find if you have a leak somewhere, if nothing obvious then it really wants looking at.