ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

xenon problem

Hi guys ,my lights flicker like mad for about three seconds and then come on and about a minute later they go out. I turn the lights off and back on using the stalk couple of times and they come on again. Not sure its the stalk as i wiggled this in a panic. Is this a know problem with them flickering and then going out?? Cheers

Clio 182
Could be the connections or a ballast that is failing on them, had this problem where they would randomly go out on me. Turned out someone had made a rubbish job of putting rubbish ones in mine.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I can only go off my experience . Sometimes they would come on then go out , other times only one would come on , but turning off and on again they would come on . Mine were going slightly pink , they were the original Xenon bulbs , about 8 years old so i just changed them and everything is fine now . Renault wanted about £90 a bulb lol . I bought these off here , 5000k , slightly whiter and in my opinion brighter than the oem bulbs :
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/d2s-35w-hid-xenon-bulb-set/

Cheers MRBILLY did they flicker or just go out?? Forgot to mention when headlights are flickering i can hear something ticking away by the glovebox, i assume thats a relay. Could it be something to do with that ???

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers MRBILLY did they flicker or just go out?? Forgot to mention when headlights are flickering i can hear something ticking away by the glovebox, i assume thats a relay. Could it be something to do with that ???
Sometimes they would flicker , sometimes only one would come on and sometimes they would both come on then one go out . I couldn't say if it's anything to do with any relays down by the glove box . I didn't experience that myself .

Both lights are flickering or just 1 ?

I would guess and ballasts and or bulbs, the hids direct bulbs are cheaper than finding a set of 2nd hand ballasts so get a pair of those first and try them.

Although someone might be able to inform you that its not going to be the bulbs and more likely ballasts ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Checked all connections on the back? The main plug dropped out of mine causing the drivers side not to work.

Tried to wiggle wires and changed the sequence of the relays but still doing the same symtoms so i have took the UCH out and getting it checked out. Hopefully this will be the problem as we all know what a headache it all gets.

Got my UCH back tonight after being told there was nothing wrong with it. Fitted it an run the car for half hour without any fault. Fingers crossed :hushed:

Here we go again!!! After nearly 3 weeks of the car running o.k i am going throw the same symptoms . Start car and lights come on auto as i cant seem to turn this off. After a few seconds i lose all electrics for a few seconds , engine does not miss a beat then its ok for sometimes ten ,sometimes twenty seconds . This happens a few times and then everything seems ok. I thought this was a headlight problem to start with but it seems to be all electrics.
Could this point back to the UCH as an intermediate problem maybe thats why it came back as being no fault found ????
Any ideas would be gratefull ,many thanks.