ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon not working.

BG V6, LY 182
My front drivers xenon is not working.
I have put the bulb into the passenger side and it works, meaning there is nothing wrong with the bulb nor ballast.

Is there any other common problems that occur with xenons?

RB FF 182
Have you actually swapped the ballasts over? If you leave the bulbs where they are, and swap the ballasts that'll test the ballast.

If the bulb works when the ballasts are swapped then it could be the starter on the rear. I changed this when mine went, and stuck a new set of bulbs in off ebay and it's never failed since!

Got a nearly new starter off eBay for about £15 I think, and a new set of 8000k D2S bulbs for £40.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine was the ballast when I had that problem - check your fuses and whatever is broke is more than likely blowing a fuse when switched on

PS - might take a few fuses when swapping bits over for testing
Also, to get at the ballast is a real thorn in the side! :(

BG V6, LY 182
Have you actually swapped the ballasts over? If you leave the bulbs where they are, and swap the ballasts that'll test the ballast.

Yeah i swapped the whol ballast over to the other side and it worked perfectly fine.

Mine was the ballast when I had that problem - check your fuses and whatever is broke is more than likely blowing a fuse when switched on

PS - might take a few fuses when swapping bits over for testing
Also, to get at the ballast is a real thorn in the side! :(

Yeahh iv checked all the fuses. It is only the ones inside the car door i need to check?
relays under passenger side footwell might of popped out this happened to me , 4 months later the ballast went lol

Would this only cause one to be off though? I shall go have a look though.

Mk5 golf gti
the square box that sits behind the bulb

!Bt5pj6Q!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-EQEvq2pTuTGBL-!gSB24!~~_12.jpg

Mk5 golf gti
just realised you meant the igniter lit the other bulb

i would check the feed into the igniter

BG V6, LY 182
Has it got wet?

Not as far as i know. It shouldnt have. But then again if it did get wet, why did it work in the other side ok?

so you used the igniter from the working light and put it in the faulty side and it worked.s
o the igniter is at fault and not the feed into it

I took the light and lighter from the faulty side, put it in the working side, and the 'faulty' light worked. So both bulbs and lighters are fine.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Not as far as i know. It shouldnt have. But then again if it did get wet, why did it work in the other side ok?
Sometimes the rubber backing can come loose, it did on mine.

I took the light and lighter from the faulty side, put it in the working side, and the 'faulty' light worked. So both bulbs and lighters are fine.
So the igniter from the faulty side lights up the normal working bulb? have you tried the good igniter on the faulty side?

BG V6, LY 182
So the igniter from the faulty side lights up the normal working bulb? The 'faulty' lighter lights up the faulty sides bulb. I didnt try the working sides bulb as the other worked fine.

have you tried the good igniter on the faulty side?No, i dont see the need for this, if i have proved that the faulty sides igniter is fine?
^^
I keep confusing myself now.

Basically, i have two working bulbs with two working lighters. But only one side will light up.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
^^
I keep confusing myself now.

Basically, i have two working bulbs with two working lighters. But only one side will light up.

Try the good igniter on the faulty side. this would then indicate faulty wiring.

BG V6, LY 182
Try the good igniter on the faulty side. this would then indicate faulty wiring.

Fair point, but surely if the bad one works in the good one that kinda proves it anyway?

It's such a faf on trying to get them out though, theres hardly any room! :(

BG V6, LY 182
relays under passenger side footwell might of popped out this happened to me , 4 months later the ballast went lol

Had a feel around and a bit play with them and they all seem to be working ok, nothing has poped out? Should i actually take the whole block out to look?

Anybody else got any ideas before a phonecall to an auto auto electrician :(

BG 182
Sorry to pull an old thread back, but did this ever get resolved?
I have the exact same issue! -
2 working bulbs
2 working ballasts
one faulty side (Drivers side)

Any tips /hints would be great.

BG 182
Actually...It could be a ballast issue.

Am i right in thinking the Bulb is connected to a Igniter...and the Igniter is connected to the ballast?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
the ballasts and ignitors have an operating life so they will fail eventually, moisture alsoeffects them due to the positioning under the headlamp. Just swap ballast over to see if it works then ignitor etc. if all of that fails its likely to be a popped fuse or broken connector / cabling.