ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

xenon light height dropped after garage removed

Clio 182
Hello All,

My 182 went into a local garage to have the aux belt done, do get to it they removed the drivers side headlight.
Last night when driving i noticed the passengers side beam had dropped massively only lighting up a few meters in front of the car, is this something the garage have done perhaps by removing the other light ??
Could they have knocked a senor of the back of the lights ? they said they didn't touch the passengers side light tho.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Clio 182
Only other question was thinking about changing the bulbs as they don't seem very bright and one has a slight purple tint to it now, do you really have to remove the bumper to change them ??
Cant you just take the headlight out and fit the bulb or try in place and see how removing the bumper will gain much access.

Thanks

Clio 172
It's all quite tight in there but it's most likely that the self adjuster has probably popped out of the back of the headlamp. When you pop them back in the lights should go back to the right level.

They are manually adjustable as well so you can have them adjusted at a local garage that has the right equipment for doing it (any MOT garage).

As for the bulbs themselves - it easier to have the units themselves out, it's just a bit fiddly with them still in the car as you have to take the rubber backing off, unplug what I assume is the ballast (or maybe its called the igniter) then twist that unit clockwise or anti-clockwise and pull it off the bulb. Once that is off there is a large ring which is twisted onto the headlight unit which holds the bulb in.

So yeh it's easier with the whole unit in your hand - I stripped mine down the other day as the bulb was incorrectly installed by someone and therefore a big patch of the floor was being lit and I wasn't getting a very good pattern - all sorted once I had properly installed the bulb :)

Clio 182
Thanks for the reply, what does the connection look like should be easy to spot i guess ??

So to change the bulbs i can just remove the headlight unit without touching the bumper, already had the bumper off once and don't fancy doing it again haha.

330i. E30 Touring.
Thanks for the reply, what does the connection look like should be easy to spot i guess ??

So to change the bulbs i can just remove the headlight unit without touching the bumper, already had the bumper off once and don't fancy doing it again haha.

You can't take the headlight out with the bumper on.

Good news though is you can do the bulbs without removing the light.

Saying that, bumper off is ten mins work.

Clio 172
As Budgie says buddy - you can do it with the bumper on, it's just super fiddly and I get pissed off easily. To remove the units you need to remove the front bumper unfortunately.

Once you have the massive rubber cap off you'll see a big square box which is the ballast or igniter (I'm really not sure on the right term) - this should have the text the right way up and horizontal in it's locked position. Twist one way to unlock it and then pull it off the back of the bulb. Then there is a large plastic black ring that again twists to lock the bulb into the unit itself.

I think the o/s is easier but the n/s has the fuse box in the way and it can be a t**t to get your hands in there.

Clio 172
Oh and the bulb has a notch missing from it which is filled by a bar in the unit to make sure the bulb is fitted the correct way up.

Clio 182
Thanks for all the help :)
The height was out due to a connection falling off the back of the light unit, new bulbs fitted they are a bit better but seems a bit low to me still so might adjust the height manually.