ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon bulbs.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I'm looking to get some xenon bulbs for my 2005 1.2 extreme. But the Clio handbook says that it is 'forbidden' to replace standard bulbs with xenons unless i have a specific xenon headlight unit. My mate assures me that i can just replace the bulbs with a straight swap no problem.. Any advice??

Thanks..

Also just to clarify.. dipped lights are H7 bulbs and main beams are H1's. Am i right??

Josh​

RS 200
josh_marvin said:
I'm looking to get some xenon bulbs for my 2005 1.2 extreme. But the Clio handbook says that it is 'forbidden' to replace standard bulbs with xenons unless i have a specific xenon headlight unit. My mate assures me that i can just replace the bulbs with a straight swap no problem.. Any advice??

Thanks..

Also just to clarify.. dipped lights are H7 bulbs and main beams are H1's. Am i right??

Josh

As Dink says, there are Xenon ( HID ) kits available that can be retro fitted to the car if you want propper Xenons, of which you are looking at a starting price of at least £175, more likely to be getting onto £250 - 300 + to get anything decent.
Should of had them fitted when you ordered the motor :eek: , pressuming its not second hand of course.

Your mate is sort of right, the original OEM bulb can be swapped for a bulb of the same fitment, although anything you put in there will not be true Xenons. They will be normal filament bulbs that have a splash of Xenon gas in them to try and make them abit bright, they are also usually coated in a blue dye on the outside, which may give you a blueish look in the headlamp unit but are nothing special compared to the propper Xenons.

Theres your options.

Edit: Also for your information, here are the OEM bulb fitments on Mk2 Ph2 & 3's

Non-Xenon Cars
Indicators: PY21w
Sidelight: w5w
Dipped Beam: H7
Main Beam: H1

Xenon Cars
Indicators: PY21w
Sidelight: w5w
Dipped Beam: D2S (Xenon bulb)
Main Beam: H7

Chris

Clio 182
Your mate is sort of right, the original OEM bulb can be swapped for a bulb of the same fitment, although anything you put in there will not be true Xenons. They will be normal filament bulbs that have a splash of Xenon gas in them to try and make them abit bright, they are also usually coated in a blue dye on the outside, which may give you a blueish look in the headlamp unit but are nothing special compared to the propper Xenons.

Theres your options.

Another option you have is to buy Nokya's Plazma Purples! Look far better then the blue 'xenon' look bulbs around! I can only find them in america/australia or japan but im buyin some for my clio mkII! Do all sizes, only down side, they may not be road legal?! I've beent told contrasting stories?!

Anyone else heard of these bulbs and/or have them fitted?

Graham