ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

X85 Clio race car pros and cons

Superchargered M3
Hello newbie here
So I've been looking and read a little on here about people buying an ex race Clio cup car .
And the costs of rebuilding the sadev gearbox and general maintenance of these cars.

I have a track car which I'm selling at the moment which I've spent over 2yrs building which has cost a fortune . Im Getting bored and fancy fwd maybe ...
Just looking at all the flawes in owning one .
Or I see an alternative people saying about the R26.r .
Are the ex race clios road worthy ? Can they put put on the road or not ?.
I've done a few in my charged M3 but really fancy a x85 Clio just to hit track days . It's got to be the same sort of price as the M3 ??
Trying to find specs on power to weight ratios or videos of them is difficult I find .
Not sure if I'm making the right move in selling mine?
I do like the focus RS mk2
I love the r26r
Would love a x85 Clio track car hope it's fast enough .
Keep the supercharged M3
And buy a megane Clio turbo??
My mate has just bought a 197 white Clio sport which I think is so much fun .
It's not all about bhp

Any info would be great cheers
Jaime

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
There is a post a few down from this one about the X85's which has a bit of info on them. Might answer a few of your questions.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The box I imagine will be the main cost.

Those sadevs aren't cheap at all and it'll want servicing.

I did hear from a friend of mine that raced them that the shells weren't always up to much and that the seams on the shell can come apart if it's had a hard life.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
There are quite a few tired ones around now and the good ones seem to go for quite a lot, budget 3-4k for a gearbox rebuild on whatever you buy. As an owner of a mk2 cup racer i would say unless you are going to race the car it's not really worth taking on the expense of owning one.

Superchargered M3
Cheers thanks for the replys! Thought these cars would take the punishment all day long! It was something I was looking at and hitting track days rather than keep spending and not doing track days .

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@BIGASH owns a pukka x85 cup racer and apart from a few gearbox repairs it's been relatively trouble free. Obviously you're going to go through consumables, but I know that the car is driven hard (and properly) every time it goes out.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Cheers thanks for the replys! Thought these cars would take the punishment all day long! It was something I was looking at and hitting track days rather than keep spending and not doing track days .

They can take punishment but also need proper maintenance, if they are anything like the mk2 then parts will already be coming obsolete for them, which can be a pain when things break! I'm not trying to put you off as they are great cars, but my personal opinion is I don't know why you would want to take on that hassle/expense if you are not going to race?

I think everyone put's the cup racer up on a pedestal, yes they are very capable cars but they are also from a one make series where the pinnacle of suspension setup and weight reduction are not the highest priority. The cars have to meet a specific configuration and are fine tuned as well as can be within the confines of the regulations. As a result they are heavy and have been built to last 1.5 hours of use between maintenance/meetings. You could build a better faster car for the same money in reality, they only thing about the 192/200 racer is that value's are holding quite well on them due to there still being series to race them in.

Superchargered M3
@BIGASH owns a pukka x85 cup racer and apart from a few gearbox repairs it's been relatively trouble free. Obviously you're going to go through consumables, but I know that the car is driven hard (and properly) every time it goes out.
Yeah I'll have a look at his car think I might have to be a full member
They can take punishment but also need proper maintenance, if they are anything like the mk2 then parts will already be coming obsolete for them, which can be a pain when things break! I'm not trying to put you off as they are great cars, but my personal opinion is I don't know why you would want to take on that hassle/expense if you are not going to race?

I think everyone put's the cup racer up on a pedestal, yes they are very capable cars but they are also from a one make series where the pinnacle of suspension setup and weight reduction are not the highest priority. The cars have to meet a specific configuration and are fine tuned as well as can be within the confines of the regulations. As a result they are heavy and have been built to last 1.5 hours of use between maintenance/meetings. You could build a better faster car for the same money in reality, they only thing about the 192/200 racer is that value's are holding quite well on them due to there still being series to race them in.

Reason I wanted one , was that they are ready to go and hit the track days and power to weight ratio it should be almost the same or quicker than my supercharged M3 .
More time in the seat and less time modifying hopefully .
Maintenance yeah I get that as I change oils etc in mine far to often .
And as I've attended a couple of Renault days at Bedford these clios seemed to go really well .
After being in a couple they are great fun .
Building another race Clio is an option but I would rather buy one done .
If I had the money I would have both .

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I'm not sure what M3 you have but the power to weight ratio of an e46 M3 in standard form is more than that of a 197/200 cup race car. You obviously want one so just go buy one, just buy wisely. Id be wanting to see invoices for gearbox rebuild in the past 12-24 months and some evidence to show how many miles/hours it has done since it's last rebuild. Dependent on the type of use your looking at between 1000-1500 mile inspection interval's which can rack up pretty quickly over 7-8 track days.

Superchargered M3
Thanks mike
Yeah I just done bhp per tonne and it works out to 389 , haha not to bad .
Yeah I'll see what happens