ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

www.fastchip.nl - RSTuner Review

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What is he going to do with a map alone? force a floppy in the side of the ecu?
Come on chap! lets get real here.

LOL Tom, you know what im saying.

Sorry who are you?

If you actually look into my company you'll see i have nothing to do with tuning cars.

So kindly shut up. :)

So how do you know that this is a waste of money then?

I know what im talking about thats why. Ive not said its a waste of money, ive said dont expect the benefits of a remap.

172 cup

Exactly your not just paying for the map are you, you get the VCI, Windows software, cabling and also a map.

If you just sent the map how would you get into the ECU to update it?

172 cup
LOL Tom, you know what im saying.

Sorry who are you?

If you actually look into my company you'll see i have nothing to do with tuning cars.

So kindly shut up. :)

So how do you know that this is a waste of money then?

I know what im talking about thats why.

You sound like you wish you had thought of this first to me :rasp:

Anyway when it arrives i will use it and post a thread on it if its a piece of s**t or not.

edit: you edited your post, i don't expect it to be as good as a live map. However i think the potential for this could be very good in time.

i know Fred.

Seems many in this thread think these will offer the same benefit as a REAL map.

Is it a case of one says its good then others believe and waste their money?

How many times do you think you'll actually be plugging your laptop into your car to alter the map? Once or twice at best.

Come off it.. lol

172 cup
i know Fred.

Seems many in this thread think these will offer the same benefit as a REAL map.

Is it a case of one says its good then others believe and waste their money?

How many times do you think you'll actually be plugging your laptop into your car to alter the map? Once or twice at best.

Come off it.. lol

Who has even said they think it will be better than a real map? i certainly don't think it will be but thats not the only reason im buying it.

Lionel Richie
Henk and FC are very good though Russ, been around a hell of a long time, longer than me anyway! 7years +

Henk and FC are very good though Russ, been around a hell of a long time, longer than me anyway! 7years +

Ive never doubted that these guys dont know what they are on about?

Of course they are good.

My point is that this is a waste of time if you expect to be able to remap your own car.

The files are cheap, remapping the car on the dyno is the skill involved and why a proper remap costs more.

Ive watched Paul many times and to say it goes over my head is an understatement.

Never once in this thread have i tried to convince someone not to buy this, i have indeed stated that i dont see the point unless you just want to raise your rev limit.

You get your kit, you plug it in, you upload a generic map which are available very cheaply, then what?

Your kit sits in the garage gathering dust.

How many times do expect to plug it in and change things? I bet never after the first use because you cant remap a car using this, all your doing is uploading a file EMAILED to you.

I can email you a GP N file if you want.

Having a car live mapped is totally different and will offer more benefits if you have mods etc cos the map is specific to you.

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
the only true grpN in my eyes was the one from Renaultsport, Henk propably wrote that file anyway! LOL

172 cup
Never once in this thread have i tried to convince someone not to buy this, i have indeed stated that i dont see the point unless you just want to raise your rev limit.

You get your kit, you plug it in, you upload a generic map which are available very cheaply, then what?

How many times do expect to plug it in and change things? I bet never after the first use.

Why never after the first use? of course i will use it again and again, if updates are available or i mod my car i will use it again.

Like i said though im not saying it's going be great if it don't work then fair enough.

How many times do expect to plug it in and change things? I bet never after the first use.

Why never after the first use? of course i will use it again and again, if updates are available or i mod my car i will use it again.

Like i said though im not saying it's going be great if it don't work then fair enough.

Again and again? really.

And for what?

Can i say ive had mine remapped and there is no need to change anything unless i add cams or something then fine, but even then a generic map will be off no use, you'd need it setting up correctly otherwise you will damage the car.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
pmsl at this thread, oh how it has spiralled out of control so quickly lol

at the end of the day you get what you pay for (how many times has that been said on this site!!)

it sounds like a good piece of kit for monitoring certain things like sensor readings etc (thats what i would be more intrested in it for) but if i was altering a map i would want it to be tested on a RR, how it 'feels' wouldnt be enough for me

172 cup

Again and again? really.

And for what?

Can i say ive had mine remapped and there is no need to change anything unless i add cams or something then fine, but even then a generic map will be off no use, you'd need it setting up correctly otherwise you will damage the car.

As i said if there are updates or anything i will use it again. For example the fault code reading etc. With the amount of things that go wrong with clio's im sure this will be very useful.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm slightly confused.

Paul at RS Tuning offers 'remapped' ecus through the post. Surely these are just 'generic' maps as well? You say what mods you have, like Fastchip, and he amends the file accordingly?

It's only very recently Paul has had an RR and as far as I know he's always said he doesn't do live mapping.

How are RS Tuning remaps etc different to the Fastchip ones? That's a genuine question btw, not flamebaiting or anything, I genuinely don't know!

The idea of backing up my original map is also a bonus, it's something I'd be wanting to be able to do.

Am I missing something? You get a modified map to download into your ECU. This is the same as a group N map for a third of the price. Who cares whether you can monitor anything afterwards?

172 cup
I'm slightly confused.

Paul at RS Tuning offers 'remapped' ecus through the post. Surely these are just 'generic' maps as well? You say what mods you have, like Fastchip, and he amends the file accordingly?

It's only very recently Paul has had an RR and as far as I know he's always said he doesn't do live mapping.

How are RS Tuning remaps etc different to the Fastchip ones? That's a genuine question btw, not flamebaiting or anything, I genuinely don't know!

The idea of backing up my original map is also a bonus, it's something I'd be wanting to be able to do.

Thats exactly what im thinking also!!

I was going to order a K-tec remap on an exchange basis i.e. they send me the mapped ECU, i send mine to them and recieve a partial refund (£250 + vat i think)

How is that any different?

this thread is becoming a slagging match it seems.

The reason Paul or any other competant tuner charges the prices they do is because they WRITE the files themselves, this is a skilled job not something anyone can do.

Trophy #267
lol @ this thread. I have various issues over Fastchip which is currently being sorted. However, i was interested in this kit as, AFAIK, there is nothing like it on the market. Now regardless of what map you use. £100 for the HARDWARE & SOFTWARE to read the ecu + sensors is fairly cheap as the only comparable alternatives are cheap obd readers or full scale expensice tuning alternatives. The cheap 10 quid leads on ebay wont do this as you cant read an ecu with a pikey lead and free software because i know ive tried - those days are gone. I very much doubt any tuner worth their salt is going to provide you with a generic unlocked map file you can apply to any car as its not worth their business. This i imagine would let you read a map from your car (with immo data unsure, probably) which henk alters and you then apply back to your car. He is not alone in offereing this setup but is his map Vs another tuner's map any good is unknown.
Perhaps this is akin to the itg Vs Maxogen thread where the maxogen must be better as its more expensive, maybe its not - only the people who have had their work done via either can compare as NOBODY is going to get a map from each of the leading tuners to try on their car to compare as they are too possesive about their work (and probably rightly so)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
As I said on page 2 when I left for lunch LOL end of the day every 172 with mild mods is going to perform roughtly the same, hense a generic map would suit it fine.

As for a highly modded car, cams/headwork whatever YES I would also rather get my car live mapped on a RR.

Henk is sound as is this product :)

The cheap 10 quid leads on ebay wont do this as you cant read an ecu with a pikey lead and free software because i know ive tried - those days are gone.

Thanks for backing me up on this Wolf, i think i said this on the first or second page?!

The reason Paul or any other competant tuner charges the prices they do is because they WRITE the files themselves, this is a skilled job not something anyone can do.

A remap takes a day at the absolute max. If you sell 10 of your generic remaps at £300 you make £3000. Not bad for a days work. Once written its just a software file. Once you make back your days work you can sell it for £10 and make profit.

172 cup

So are you now saying that people pay 300+ for a map directly from them just because they write it?

This Hank guy writes them and includes them with this product so whats the difference only its cheaper?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just trying to understand what the difference is between this and other off the shelf products as it seems silly cheap compared!

Personally the only 2 off the shelf maps I'd trust are either one from Paul or one from Henk as I know they both are very good at what they do.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

With all due respect mate ive met Henk.
He was live mapping bbtunings turbo at bedford using the stock ecu alone.

He aint bad at what he does and he has a killer handshake.

Henk FTW.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I'm just trying to understand what the difference is between this and other off the shelf products as it seems silly cheap compared!

You have to do all the work yourself, so no labour charges on top.

But as outlined in that review I wrote on the first page if anyone remembers that? :) Its really easy to backup your current settings (for safety and if you wanna put it back to standard to sell) and to upload the grN file Henk sends through to you.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
And lastly, I'm assuming that this stuff only lets you load in pre made maps, you can't tweak them yourself? :)

With all due respect mate ive met Henk.
He was live mapping bbtunings turbo at bedford using the stock ecu alone.

He aint bad at what he does and he has a killer handshake.

Henk FTW.

Tom, read my posts.

Of course he knows what hes doing.

My point has been missed completely. I dont see the point in this product over a PROPER map.

172 cup
And lastly, I'm assuming that this stuff only lets you load in pre made maps, you can't tweak them yourself? :)

I think it wouldn't be a good idea for me personally to try this has my brain would brake (or the car) but as someone has already said i think you will soon be able to edit maps with it.