ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF is going on with my brakes

Clio 172
Have bought some new rear brake disks, went to fit them today, removed the old one, tried the new one on for size and it fitted fine, so took it off to grease it up and now it wont go back on............

anyone got any ideas as i totally stuck!

Clio 197
what did you do in between removing it (when it fit) and greasing it (when it didn't fit)? also - what was stopping it from fitting? there isn't a lot that can get in the way i don't think :)

Clio 172
what did you do in between removing it (when it fit) and greasing it (when it didn't fit)? also - what was stopping it from fitting? there isn't a lot that can get in the way i don't think :)

nothing other than had a cup of tea, so cant see that making a differance.

its almost as if there is a clash of tolerances between the bearing and the shaft

Clio 172
Wipe off all the grease and try again, make sure it is lined up nicely and it should just slid on.

HI Andy.

tried that, still didnt work

my only guess is that the tolerances must be real close and the disk cooled down or the shaft warmed up and consequently wouldnt go on

Lotus Elise
I think you will be the only person in history of clio ownership for that to happen. Has anything moved like the bearing inside the disk? Is the bearing damaged?

Lotus Elise
If its been on once already it will go back on just make sure your are holding it at the correct angle.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
how hard have you tried push it on, perhaps you had it out of line the first time, pushed to hard and have damaged the shaft a bit,

perhaps grind the edge of the shaft down if this was the case!

"Navy" N17 TWO
We had this issue with my rear discs too :dead:
- feckin NIGHTMARE to say the least and to add insult to injury I had no bearing spacers fitted, even with the previous discs!

When the disk comes off there should be a little metal thing, Rounded on one side. I think its called a spacer.

I cant remember which way it goes. Second time you may of turned it round without knowing.

DrRollo I agree with you.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol how do so many people get such a simple job so mixed up.