ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wrap a valver bonnet with carbon fibre??

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
can this be done to a valver bonnet??

and before anyone flames me, the bonnet is carbon fibre,
its just gone very very dull (i was offered it at a price i really couldnt refuse)
after feeling how light it is, i really want to use it over my standard bonnet with has to be held on by bonnet pins!

but tbh, i dont really like the look of it!
could i somply have it wrapped in carbon fibre wrap to make it look the part again??

pics
179343_1737468513340_1137422624_1906429_3197596_n.jpg

and yes it is carbon
180245_1737470993402_1137422624_1906444_7245487_n.jpg

other options include
painting it to match the car
but getting a match will be hard, and ill never see the carbon again!

painting it black, once again will be hard to get a good finnish, and will look like ive had a front ender

any other suggestions??

S4 Avant
I'd have a go at polishing it up first.

Can't hurt it anymore, and if it works you won't have to wrap it.

LY200
^^ as he says, give it a polish up first just to see the results. if still no good you can get it wrapped or do it yourself. its not hard at all.

LY200
saying that it might be difficult with the vent scoop. you could get it stripped back near the carbon fibres and get it re lacquered?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ill have a go at polishing it,
but the blemishes look like theyre below the laqure,
looks like its in the resin like its been applied badly!

i dont really want to spend silly money on cosmetics tbh so getting it professionally restored/painted isnt really an option,
there are many more perforance parts needed before that! lol
and if i sprayed it myself, it would look far far worse that it does now!! lol

S4 Avant
You're probably right, it will be beneath the laquer, as is often the way with carbon fibre fading.

Can't hurt to crack out the machine polisher though and have a go!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
true say, it will be my first point of call,
hopefully it will bring back some shine to it lol

Clio 172
I wouldn't mind refurbing it for you if you are anywhere near Kent?

I've also wrapped a bonnet in carbon look vinyl. It's easy enough, pal. Here is or I done!

Andy

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
What would refurbing it entail? And how good would it come up??

I'm more tempted to get it wrapped tbh, if the end result would look nicer!
I'm quite close to kent tbh, how long would you need the bonnet for? And how much is your fees lol?

Clio 172
To refurb the bonnet, I would remove the lacquer contamination with various compounds to a clean finish and relacquer it. Would only want enough to cover the materials, pal. Be happy to help out a forum member!

No worries if you don't. Happy to help wrap it if you want too. Two people does make it a lot easier to do!

Andy

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i am seriously swaying toward the idea of wrapping it,
because those pics look stunning!!

i wouldnt be much help wrapping it,
i struggled at fitting a sunstrip!! lol
but would be amazing if you could lend a hand doing it, i dont mind giving you some money for the trouble!

DCi 100
Thing is if you wrap it, can always peel it off if you sell it onto another mk1'er in the future! Where as paint may limit the sale alittle more. Worth a thought!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Thing is if you wrap it, can always peel it off if you sell it onto another mk1'er in the future! Where as paint may limit the sale alittle more. Worth a thought!

that was another main think putting my off painting it, the real carbon will never be seen again!! lol