ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you

320d

IMO no the colour is rank and too much mesh at the front. Id consider a standard looking R5 with loads of engine mods but body kits arent my thing - are you bored with the valver?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Sounds like you just want a turbo to me? I can see the appeal though, Ive thought about having a GTT loads. I just prefer having a low maintenance mota.

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 18 May 2004

Sounds like you just want a turbo to me? I can see the appeal though, Ive thought about having a GTT loads. I just prefer having a low maintenance mota.
Ive wanted a "turbs" all my life tho, and know the option of a MINT one has come along, i know its not to everyones taste but it truely is immaculate !!

Im pretty certain on doing it, just wanted some opinions !!

Oh and most of the mesh will go in favour of a K-tec intercooler !! This is MUCH faster than my 16v and with a bit more modding will kill lots !! :devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by cliosportcraig on 18 May 2004

Oh and most of the mesh will go in favour of a K-tec intercooler !! This is MUCH faster than my 16v and with a bit more modding will kill lots !! :devilish:
We know that its fast but its so old and you will have loads of problems with it in time to come.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 18 May 2004

Ive wanted a "turbs" all my life tho, and know the option of a MINT one has come along, i know its not to everyones taste but it truely is immaculate !!

Im pretty certain on doing it, just wanted some opinions !!

Im not saying its a bad idea, I still love GTTs just not many good ones around any more.

Id also prefer something more standard from the outside.

and TBH I prefer the black valver.

Quote: Originally posted by OLLZIE on 18 May 2004

We know that its fast but its so old and you will have loads of problems with it in time to come.

as long as i maintain it ill have no probs, its only a couple more older than the 16v !!

if the guys really keen to do a swop then really you gotta ask yourself why?

if the money thats been put into it had gone on a good, strong engine then yeah good idea but id be suspicious as the valvers probably worth more!

Thats not teh k-tec combat kit, similar, btu look at teh grill, and under the lightsm the pics on thier website are different

Just a quick thought, why not put a GTT lump in you valver!!! Then do what mods you want, not someone elses half finished project.

Just my opinion :)

Mondeo STTDCI

Put it this way, if the R5 is mint its got LOTS of potential.

The front bumper and the rear spoiler go, so thats sorted. Wont be hard to sell as their are plenty of R5 drivers about.

Ok the colour is sh*te but throw a grand at it and some new bumpers and itll be a nice little minter in a decent colour. Id take the body back to standard in fact but thats just me.

Having said that could always buy another R5 mint and original in body but with a f**ked engine and do an engine swap then sell the kitted one with the f**ked engine? Might even out?

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

I had my 5GTT for 8 years and just about everything on it was modified and i absolutely loved it however you really need to think carefully about buying one though. There is no getting away from the fact that it will have been thrashed to within an inch of its life, probably every time it has been driven, and i can say with almost 100% certainty it will have been crashed at some point too. Dont get me wrong i still miss my turbo but i dont miss all the aggro that came with it.

The fact is they are extremely unreliable - take it from someone who knows. I spent literally tens of thousands on mine and the whole time i had it there was always something wrong with it or going wrong with it (I had every single electrical and mechanical problem you can think of!). Over time this becomes extremely tedious and expensive.

At the end of the day you have got to ask yourself can you afford regular trips to the garage? And they will be regular! I am not trying to put you off (i still think they are fantastic performance cars) but if you do go ahead be prepared for lots of tears and frustration.

Looking back on my time with mine as much fun as it was and as much as i enjoyed fitting all the bits i got for it there was equal amounts of problems too. If i knew back in 1995 what i know now i would not have bought it.

Whatever you decide to do good luck to you sir.

Focus ST

Ive got loads of respect for 5 Turbos and would love to have owned one, its just that looks disgusting IMO - really tasteless. I know youre after a quick car but surely you could find a mint one thats a bit more of a street sleeper than a Max Power wannabe, especially coming from such a smart looking valver.

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by NickN182 on 18 May 2004

I had my 5GTT for 8 years and just about everything on it was modified and i absolutely loved it however you really need to think carefully about buying one though. There is no getting away from the fact that it will have been thrashed to within an inch of its life, probably every time it has been driven, and i can say with almost 100% certainty it will have been crashed at some point too. Dont get me wrong i still miss my turbo but i dont miss all the aggro that came with it.

The fact is they are extremely unreliable - take it from someone who knows. I spent literally tens of thousands on mine and the whole time i had it there was always something wrong with it or going wrong with it (I had every single electrical and mechanical problem you can think of!). Over time this becomes extremely tedious and expensive.

At the end of the day you have got to ask yourself can you afford regular trips to the garage? And they will be regular! I am not trying to put you off (i still think they are fantastic performance cars) but if you do go ahead be prepared for lots of tears and frustration.

Looking back on my time with mine as much fun as it was and as much as i enjoyed fitting all the bits i got for it there was equal amounts of problems too. If i knew back in 1995 what i know now i would not have bought it.

Whatever you decide to do good luck to you sir.
My brothers was exactly the same it had full history was almost a concours car, but it had no end of cooling systme probs, hot starting probs, electrical, disks cracking, alsorts mate, they are awesome cars but proper b******s when it comes to reliability, he scrapped it when the head gasket went for the 3rd time!!! plus it was standard!!!!

Jesus how GREEN is that car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all for the response made me REALLY think, and your all prolly right about reliability etc, think i just got taken with it when i drove it, thing is an animal with less than half the miles of my car !! FSH etc really is a minter !!

Things i dont like about the 5 are interior (looks GASH), push rod engine and the reputation and connotations associated with them !!

Think in the end im gonna GTT my car, but make sure that the engine is a minter, rebuild it then tune the bar steward !!

Thanks all again