ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you ....

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think you could find this in the UK for around the same. Remember, the price doesn't include Import tax and other charges. Not sure what the rate would be but you could get stung in the long run. As for the quality? It looks like a genuine product but personally i wouldn't risk it.

I've recently bought a shutter release from HK and it was fine, sayin that, i only paid £3.69 so wasn't too fussed if it didn't turn up. I'm also going to buy a few filters so i can get to grips using them before shelling out a lot for one's i may never use.

Golf GTD Mk7
AhmedRSi said:
If the above is anything to go by i'd avoid tbh, this seller only has 26962, he's 38 short.

Lol.

Apparently the import tax is £20 ish, so you're still getting a £600 lense for £460. Comes with English manual too.

Golf GTD Mk7
zipzooka said:
I think you could find this in the UK for around the same. Remember, the price doesn't include Import tax and other charges. Not sure what the rate would be but you could get stung in the long run. As for the quality? It looks like a genuine product but personally i wouldn't risk it.

I've recently bought a shutter release from HK and it was fine, sayin that, i only paid £3.69 so wasn't too fussed if it didn't turn up. I'm also going to buy a few filters so i can get to grips using them before shelling out a lot for one's i may never use.

Really? Find me where and I'm sold :) it's a realitively new lense

Golf GTD Mk7
that's the older lense though isn't it. not the VR2? Bit confusing as the title doesn't include VRII, but the description does :S

Golf GTD Mk7
Thanks guys :) might just try and get the older model off eBay as I doubt I'd be able to tell much difference. Only appealing thing on the new model is the active vr, but not sure how well that will work

Golf GTD Mk7
Jonny1*2 said:
... buy a lense from Hong Kong?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Nikon-AF-...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item5192176c6a

I've currently got a 18-55 and 55-200VR lenses for my D40, but find it a pain to have to change when i'm on the move. More scope with the VR2 18-200mm so i'm tempted. Usually they are around £600 brand new, so it is appealing.

Do you think the lenses will be of the same quality?
Fare enough mate :S didn't expect it to be that high. Looks like camera box is cheapest with £500. Can't decide whether it's worth the extra £150 for the newer model over a second hand one.

I didn't realise it was that expensive tbh, so no, I wouldn't buy it from there. Not because I don't trust them but because it's a lot of money to spend and if it arrives and it won't focus or it's a bit soft, then it's a major pain sending it back etc.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod146.html

£458.49

Or it's £500 from Jessops.

Thats the first version, not the 2nd. Not that there is much difference, but the 2nd version has a handy zoom lock as the lens does creep.

Personally, I would keep your current set up as from experiance it has slightly better IQ and the cost involved is a little too much IMO.

Golf GTD Mk7
Thats the first version, not the 2nd. Not that there is much difference, but the 2nd version has a handy zoom lock as the lens does creep.

Personally, I would keep your current set up as from experiance it has slightly better IQ and the cost involved is a little too much IMO.

How do you mean mate?

Like I said though, it's more for practicality purposes really with the 18-200mm giving much better scope.

There is a sigma lens which is £240 but not sure whether the quality will be anything near as good as the nikkor.

The image quality is just a tad sharper on the 2 lens set up, but I doubt you will notice it unless you really delve in to the pics!

The 18-200 is a heavy beast though, especially on the D40, but by no means not useable. I used it when I went on holiday a few years back so I can see the appeal!

Few pics from my old D40 and 18-200 vr (MK1) - these were also taken through a car window too!

2562380324_0c4490a5e7_b.jpg

2561545439_a6ced8e90f_b.jpg

2561548231_62bf617a9d_b.jpg

2561551857_d02e79a890_b.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice shots :)

I would have thought the image quality would have been slightly better on one lens with having the same f numbers across the whole range?

Not exactly, as the more zoom you try and pack in one lens, the less quality you will get out of it. The 55-200 starts at f4.5 and I think on the 18-200, when you reach 55 you will also be at 4.5.

Golf GTD Mk7
JJ! said:
Not exactly, as the more zoom you try and pack in one lens, the less quality you will get out of it. The 55-200 starts at f4.5 and I think on the 18-200, when you reach 55 you will also be at 4.5.

Ah right. Thought it would have been slighlt lower given the range. Presumably the wider lens helps in darker conditions though?