ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you use an aluminium flywheel?

Not for a clio application, but more as a general question, would people be comfortable using an aluminium flywheel on a fast road/track car?

I have literally zero knowledge on this front. Why would one use or not use an aluminium flywheel? If it was designed properly to have the appropriate structural integrity, wouldn't it be fine?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I have literally zero knowledge on this front. Why would one use or not use an aluminium flywheel? If it was designed properly to have the appropriate structural integrity, wouldn't it be fine?

I’m guessing the use of the material will be down to weight, and not using it will be down to strength and softness of the aluminium.

Will wait for someone who knows what they’re talking about to confirm though.

dan's cast offs.
billet ally will be more than strong enough.

to keep it short an ally one, without looking at weights, is going to be to light on a road/track day car on a stock engine.
the 172/182 flywheel is light ish anyway, billet steel flywheel would be fine even for a daily but personally the only time i'd be using a lighter ally one would be on a full out race engine, fully balanced, rod bolts, solid lifters etc.

there is a lot more to it and if you google it it's one of those things you can end up losing two hours reading about the pros and cons.

Clio ph2 172
Strength isn't a problem, aluminium flywheels are used in lots of different high powered cars (modified) I think even some drag cars might use them. From what I understand tho if you have a flywheel that's so light you will have issues with idle and also clutch control (stalling)

As I said, it's not for a clio.

Yes they're a little lighter, but not really as much as you'd expect as the friction surface is still iron and has a certain minimum thickness, so ignoring the "they might be too light" aspect, what I'm getting uncomfortable with is the fatigue properties of aluminium and the odds of grenading it. Is it a 'lifed' race only solution?