ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you mention in your for sale ad...

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Spare wheel well damage? The previous owner to me reversed into a small static plastic bollard at low speed in a carpark, which in turn put a dent in the spare wheel well. It hasnt marked the bumper at all which shows that this wasnt caused by another vehicle. There is no sign of paintwork, and the boot shut line is perfect.

I'm very good friends with the previous owner, who can verify that he carried out this faux pas. I thought i'd be honest with this in my advert, as this could easily be mis-interpritated as accident damage, and the last thing I want is abuse from a viewer.

Stagecoach Ticket
always best to be honest mate. Honest sellers have nothing to hide i wouldent mention in the ad but before some one views i would point it out. i would of found that damage had i been buying that car if you then told me that your mate had reversed into a curb etc etc i would then start to doubt it. If you would of told me straight up i would proberly take ur word for it.

James

Track 172cup
if it is as genuine as you say then i don't see the problem tbh, as long as it's not that bad and just a small 'dent' then any genuine buyer that knows what their talking about won't be put off with it

if it's quite bad thats another story..

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pictures, if it's just a dent and it's not massive, this not effecting the car at all i wouldn't say anything.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I assume you can still get a spare wheel in the well?

Pics?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Its 100% genuine, and i'm not fussed about mentioning it on here. Just thought it may be putting people off buying, but going on the current RS market, i'm not alone. I've got the boot carpet and spare wheel out at the moment as my spare has gone flat so sorting that. I'll take a picture and put it on the advert.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Yes, can get the wheel in the well no problems. Bumper still perfectly lined up, and is barely noticeable if you stick your head underneath.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Cheers. Car drives spot on, and handles very well, with even tyre wear, so hopefully another sign that its ok!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
When you say reversed slowly* into a bollard do you mean: Previous owner J turned and caught a bollard.

Difficult to understand how he could dent the rear wheel well without hitting something very hard.

Are you sure the rear bumper has not just been replaced and damage was worse than you have been led to believe.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
No, as I know the previous owner very well. He's a mature owner, no boy racer in him at all. If anything, he doesnt really need a car like a 172!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Personally, i wouldnt mention it, cavaet emptor ftw.

There are soo many 172's out there, id just move onto the next advert if i saw damage on the ad. Unless it was massively cheaper than the other ones of course. It could quite plausibly have had low rear end damage, then a new rear bumper put on it to cover it all up ...

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
I'll see how it goes. I know i've probably shot myself in the foot by mentioning it on here, but maybe i'm too honest.

Iceberg 172
I wouldn't unless it's properly noticeable.

I've sold over 10 cars now and no one has ever even checked the spare wheel let alone the well or the boot floor for that matter.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
So you reversed into a bollard and it's dented the sapre wheel in the boot?

Or is it the spare wheel well? (boot floor)

This is common on clios and the bumpers always go back into shape with little or no marks (there will be stress marks along the top edge where the number plate lamp is)

It would put me off. For all I know it could have been rear ended and a new bumper put over the top.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
No stress marks. Has dented the well, not the wheel. Would take hell of a whack to do that! Although I know the chap who did it, I can see how people would take this story with a pinch of salt. I dont mean to sound like i'm looking to sell an old clanger, far from it. I've seen people pay more for 172's than im after, and found bent struts, exhausts falling off etc on the way home.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't buy it.

It's been rear ended as far as i'm concerned, i'm an assessor tho.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I wouldn't buy it.

It's been rear ended as far as i'm concerned, i'm an assessor tho.

My thoughts exactly.
I always remove boot carpets etc & look for damage.
They crumple very easily, but they are supposed to:D

anything
personaly i think being honest is always the best way , put yourself in the buyers shoes ? he buys it doesnt know gets a puncture and automatically fears the worst !! atleast if he is comfortable knowing full well how it got there he cant really complain ... i,d rather know

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
I've possibly got someone coming to view, i've mentioned it and they are happy with it as its very minor. Cheers for the advice folks.

330i. E30 Touring.
All depends on the buyer as to how they'll react.

I'd inspect the car properly, and then try and knock money off.

Plenty will be put off though.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
He seems cool about it. I havent tried to hide it at all or knock it out, which he's happy with as i;m not covering anthing up.

Nissan 350z
You can probably get it pulled out anyway by the sounds of nothing being out of line. Might be worth asking a bodyshop for a quote for peace of mind :)