ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you be bothered about the miles on this 197?

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172, Tiguan
That's very cheap. As for mileage, it's only done 79k, I can't see the problem?

Suspect there will be some issue with it though.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
unless its had the belts done, you looking at another £500 on that straight away. Also check the gearbox is ok as they are a weak point on the 197's iirc.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would personally get a mint 182 for about a grand less, and then spend the spare cash on something else (Upgrading the 182, track days, holiday, whatever). I can't speak from personal experience, but the early 197's don't seem to get the best reviews, I think the 197's got better as time went by, but the early ones have a few more problems?

I wouldn't say the milage is a problem, it's not that super high, but if you were looking at 182's anyway I'd just stay on that route.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  172 cup
Well considering 12000 is the average mileage a year that isn't really that high. If that was for sale 3 months ago I would have snapped that up!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well considering 12000 is the average mileage a year that isn't really that high. If that was for sale 3 months ago I would have snapped that up!

Is that correct? I thought average milage was 10k, and even saw a newspaper the other day suggested it was more like 8.5k now, which I guess is a result of the rise in fuel prices etc.

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
That's very cheap. As for mileage, it's only done 79k, I can't see the problem?

Suspect there will be some issue with it though.

why do you think it would have any issues it's got no spec really an has reasonably high mileage compared to the rest hence the price maybe defo seems worth a look don't you think ?

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
Would personally get a mint 182 for about a grand less, and then spend the spare cash on something else (Upgrading the 182, track days, holiday, whatever). I can't speak from personal experience, but the early 197's don't seem to get the best reviews, I think the 197's got better as time went by, but the early ones have a few more problems?

I wouldn't say the milage is a problem, it's not that super high, but if you were looking at 182's anyway I'd just stay on that route.

I could do with something abit more refined as I have a 3 month old baby so it defo won't be goin on track anytime soon nor do I like the idea of a 3 month old baby on a plane lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
:eek:

T'aint rocket science, isit.

It is not, because then they'd need to pay rocket scientist wages etc etc :cool:

Mileage is not a problem whatsoever for me I do normally go on conditon as my 120000 mile ph1 should hopefully prove just wondered why the car I've posted was so cheap hence the thread

I'd go for a nosey Pearce (if it isn't too far away)!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd call them and firstly clarify the price just incase. Then ask for the HPi cert... then do it yourself.

If that's all clear go look at it ..

I can't see it on their own website though....

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I went to look at that 197 with the other half. No belt change and its tired looking, walked away as it needs a good £1000's worth of work so might as well buy a tidy car and add the extra £1K to your budget. Its been for sale for months.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's cheap, but it is also bog standard yawn spec.

Worth a look, mileage isn't at all high.

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
It is not, because then they'd need to pay rocket scientist wages etc etc :cool:

I'd go for a nosey Pearce (if it isn't too far away)!

Yeah think I'm gunna do what giraffe has said an phone them in the morning hpi it then go take a look it's certainly not to far away not to go have a look at

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
It's cheap, but it is also bog standard yawn spec.

Worth a look, mileage isn't at all high.

yawn spec isn't really a problem mate as I'd change bit an bobs anyway an the seats are abit more friendly for children than recaros

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
I went to look at that 197 with the other half. No belt change and its tired looking, walked away as it needs a good £1000's worth of work so might as well buy a tidy car and add the extra £1K to your budget. Its been for sale for months.

Cheers mage save me the hassle of viewing it myself What do you mean tired looking as in paint Etc
or the whole car

sell me yours instead then ;)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Mileage is not a problem whatsoever for me I do normally go on conditon as my 120000 mile ph1 should hopefully prove just wondered why the car I've posted was so cheap hence the thread

I think the answer to that is the belts need doing plus other work so will cost you £500 to £1K to get it upto spec again.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Cheers mage save me the hassle of viewing it myself What do you mean tired looking as in paint Etc
or the whole car

sell me yours instead then ;)

Wheels were curbed and corroded, front tyres were low on tread, rear discs were seriously lipped, few marks and parking dents, generally flat looking paint (Would look a lot better after a good mop) belts needed replacing along with a service. That's a good £1,000 easy so by time you have sorted all that you just as well add a grand to your budget.

Sold I'm afraid chap, had about 3 others chasing me down for it too lol!

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
thats the goin rate for these with that mileage ive seen some shift for 3-3.5k, :quiet:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If you take a look on 197.net it's actually the higher mileage cars that tend to have the least amount of issues with them. Most of the gearbox issues are on low mileage examples. Mine is on 65k, which for a 57 plate is fairly high and it's tight as a drum.

Personally i'd rather buy a car that has done 50k in 3 years than one that has done 30k in 5 years.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  PB Clio 172
didnt the early 197's suffer from silly high revs in 6th gear?

if they did then you may aswell stick to a 1*2 it would do my nut in that.......

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
didnt the early 197's suffer from silly high revs in 6th gear?

if they did then you may aswell stick to a 1*2 it would do my nut in that.......

Yeah, about 3,800 revs at 70 I think. Mines a late 2007 and it's 3.5k at 70. You get used to it to be honest, it's not like it really makes a difference.

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
did you go and look?

No mate rang the number spoke to a chap that could speak hardly any English he gave me a number for another chap that could speak hardly any English an he explained to me wheels needed a refurb an the Cambelt had been done but there was no proof.i said to him so it hasn't been done he said no there's no proof that coupled with the other members comments I hung up

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don think it looks to bad.

Try get abit of money off then get the Cambelt sorted all the other bits can be sorted over time. It's always good to have a little project.

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172 cup
Yeah I agree mate I love nothing more than a project but he said he wouldn't really move on price as it was cheap anyway it needs at least a grand spent on it

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I told you mate lol ;)

The only reason we went to see it is because we were local. That will still be there in 6 months, it's a shed.