ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would u choose the v6

if any of you were buying a car in the price range of the new v6 255 - would you buy the clio v6 or would another car be the better choice either new or second hand ?

im thinking of part exing my 172 for the v6 but not sure about going for the older version of the new version v6 and now ive seen the evolution on sale for less im wondering if thats a better option .

but the looks of the V6 - get me every time !:D

The MK1 is not worth thinking about, takes too much time and money to sort the design flaws in the suspension.

MK2 is far better.

yeah ive heard this,

the previous model even though seems a good price now is a bit of a dog.

looks good though but interior is also dated now.

interior looks like my old 1.4 sport interior!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 11 May 2004

The MK1 is not worth thinking about, takes too much time and money to sort the design flaws in the suspension.

MK2 is far better.
Wot he said

The MK1 in std trim is, dare i say it to no offence of curent owners, horrid.

I had the option of a V6 or 172 everyday working at renault. And i took the 172 everyday.

The V6s rear suspension is what causes its on the limit problems with spinning as its basically a laguna V6 driven into the back of a clio. Its got the front brakes, steering hubs etc etc off the laguna, even the track rods which are bolted solidly to the subframe. These bend when cornering hard and bring the wheels to toe out which increases the slip and angle and you spin.

But its the front i dont like, soft, heavy and uninspiring. You cant point it, when you brake it dives hard and it wallows.

Ive had 14 years of racing experience and i like to think i can point out handling problems.

Its slow aswell.

Iirc the MK1 V6 is only .3 of second faster than the cup???

Either way, both these cars are very nice - cant say from a drivers point view as Ive only been a passenger. I prefer the looks of a MK2, but the MK1 still turns heads.

[Edited by Illusion on 11 May 2004 at 1:25am]

Oh, not to mention they sound the dogs aswell.

thanks for those excellent points BenR - good observations.

do you think the mk 2 v6 255 is a much better car and is it worth upgrading from a 172 in your opinion ?

Hmmmmm.....personally i wouldnt, but only because there is alot of other cars out there for the same money.

But yes, it would be a nice step.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

The Mark 2 V6 is Superb - Clarkson might be a wally, but if someone who drives as many cars as him puts it in his "Top 10 Garage", it cant be bad!

BUY ONE!!

if you cant live without the space, a Scooby is cheaper to run than an Evo (5K Evo servicing and 200 miles on a tank is v. expensive and time consuming) - it will spend more time in the petrol station or garage!

of the soft coupe options for V6 money, Tiff says buy a Nissan 350Z.

OR keep the 172 and pick up a nice Caterham or similar for 10K!

Mark 1 Clio V6

I own a mk1 V6 and it is a great drive and will turn heads every time I am out in it.

It is not all that slow. Remember it has 230bhp and 223lb of Torque.

Okay, you will get faster cars with better handling for the same money, but nothing will give you the road presence or get the amount of interest that a V6 will.

I also think it is a great drive once you learn how to handle it. remember it is mid-engined rear wheel drive, so although it may only be 0.3s faster than a cup, it is a totally new experience.

The looks of the mk1 in my opinion are no different to the mk2. Mk2 has bigger wheels (although the same kind) and a different front nose (which in my opinion has far too much black plastic on it).

If you swap your 172 for a V6 mk1 or mk2 I am 100% sure you will have no regrets and love every minute.

If you are going to be using for track days, the mk1 may not be the best plan (its handling flaws are well documented), but for normal day to day use, it is an excellent car!!!

One point to all the people who slate the mk1; in Top Gear (which I believe is pretty widely respected) Used Car Guide, the mk1 is in the top ten alternatives to supercars.

In answer to your question "would you choose the V6?" I would, as an owner of one, say yes every day of the week!

yes, and did, despite getting rid of a 172 and a Cup to get it, test drove two Evos - loved them, but far too expensive to maintain when you do at least 20k miles a year. Would have tested a Z - but none around at the time, and after driving the Vee I dont think the decision would have been different, and now having done nearly 7k in the Mk2 Vee there is no way I would change it - its soooooooo luverley to drive :D - attracts loads of attention :cool: - and makes me smile every time I get in it :D

Tappd'd RS

I know Im not the only one looking at the prices of second hand mk.1s on autotrader - am I? :)

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 11 May 2004
and makes me smile every time I get in it :D

and makes me smile every time I get in it

Hit the nail right on the head there Kathy. What a fantastic signature this would make.

:D

The V is superb... I have had Scoobs and Evos and before bought my Mk1 was looking at another Evo and even thinking of Mk2 V but to be honest prefer MK1 shape... Purely preference.

As for handling no wallow on mine actually impressive for a rear wheeler with no Magic chip like the evos

As for the speed argument I dont think anyone chooses the V6 cos it is fast its the road presence as previously mentioned... I mean come on countless amonts of times I had the thumbs up when driving it!! Its the only car I have known to nearly cause a crash cos other drivers are to busy staring at it

Own a Mk1 172 which I use daily but no competitions to the V!

To sum it up it is CLASS!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

If my circumstances would permit a 2 seater Id have a V6 without any hesitation. Theres no other car that commands so much attention, and its a great drive. How anyone can even contemplate putting that barge of a 350Z in the same league is beyond me TBH!

Id get one no trouble at all (might be a bit of a problem getting up the drive though).

It might not be that quick but how fast do you want to go.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by S2 PTH on 11 May 2004

wud never spend £27k on a clio. (end of story!)
That is just what my hubby said - he reckons they look cool, but £27,000 is better spent on a BMW - either a new ordinary one or a nearly new 3 litre (ish) BMW.

He also said that I wouldnt be able to park it anywhere unless I could keep my eye on it!

Hes right - I never trust most drivers not to bash their door into me so I park well away from other cars unless they are sporty well cared for cars. Luckily no dings anywhere as yet! (touch wood)!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 12 May 2004

That is just what my hubby said - he reckons they look cool, but £27,000 is better spent on a BMW - either a new ordinary one or a nearly new 3 litre (ish) BMW.
lol @ Sylvia! 27p is not better spent on a BMW! Everyone has one - our street is full of them! £27k is better put in the bank, but if you want a nice car its gotta be the V everytime!

Ben R, your being a bit harsh on the mk1 V6. You only spot handling fault ( but its not a fault!!!! ) when you take it to a track… On the road it is fine. And slow???? Evo magazine had one of these for a few months and got 5.8 0-60 every time! Now don’t get me wrong but are Cup’s and 172’s/182’s slow then? What does that make a willys as well. The V6 Mk1 is a great car, just that the Mk2 was so good it makes the Mk1 feel dated and old…

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Depends what you want, people are forgetting that there are still sensible drivers out there that just want a car that turns heads, they might not want to drive at ridiculous speeds all the time.

Of all the normal cars out there nothing will turn a head like a V6 Mk1 or Mk2

I have seen it manier time, standing around, along comes a V6 and all you hear is people saying wow theres one of those Clio V6 thingys!!

Any one saying a V6 is slow is wrong Im affraid, it might not be in the sub 5 second class but it aint no slouch.

Would I have one?

Id wait till the Mk2 is a bit cheaper on the second hand market then seriously consider one. When Im about 30! (only 23 now)

well newms ben unfortunatly knows what he is talking about ;)and can drive oh how he can drive

[Edited by dogmaul on 12 May 2004 at 9:35am]

I will be the first to admit it, It is a very edgy car to drive fast in down the country lanes etc... But slow? Yeh its not a ferrari but look at this link...

http://www.evo.co.uk/http://www.evo.co.uk/

Now click on "Data" and then "The knowledge" and then "Hot hatches"

Or.... Does this mean that the V6 255 is slow?????

Renault Sport Clio V6
99-02
6/1946
230/6000
221/3750

Renault Sport Clio V6 255
£27,000
6/1946
255/7150
221/4650

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Well Id have a V6 anyday.;)

I test drove all the usual jap sh*te, Impreza, Evo, 350Z. And drove what Audi had to offer, TT 225 & V6, and even left my beloved 330 cabby for the V6 and I dont regret it at all.

Theres just a few V6 haters on this forum, thats all:eek:

Have now covered 34k in under 17 months in mine.

No real trouble and have no problems with handling, this is on public roads.

I have not had time to do any track days but expect on the edge the handling may not be all one would wish.

Over the period of ownership you would be surprised how many people come up and speak to you about the car.

This ranges from young lads to ninety years olds, some thing must be O.K. then.

Have found that if you are on a main road with a series of roundabouts you can leave a lot of vehicles behind.

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 12 May 2004

At the rate V6s are spreading we will be called V6Cliosport.net.
:)

Quote: Originally posted by Simo on 12 May 2004

Well Id have a V6 anyday.;)

I test drove all the usual jap sh*te, Impreza, Evo, 350Z. And drove what Audi had to offer, TT 225 & V6, and even left my beloved 330 cabby for the V6 and I dont regret it at all.

Jealous maybe????????????????? :devilish: