ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would I be 'happy' with a 182 cup?

GB 182 FF
I've got my heart set on a 182 FF (both packs ideally), but keep seeing the odd cup in spangly condition come up....

Given I'm coming from a vx220 ANYTHING is luxury lol, and a dim torch would be better than even an HID kitted VX lol.

So would I be left longing for a FF non cup if I were to get one? I know its a bit of a 'piece of string' question but aside from seats, aircon and lights being normals (big change to get them to Xenons?) etc, I cant see a huge difference blah

I'm sorry but the 172 looks dated compared to the 182, they are essentially the same car, spend £200 and your 172 can look like a 182.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If I wanted a cheap (and nasty, imho the 172 looks dated BADLY compared to the 182) track **** then a 172 cup would be top of the list, but I want a nice comfy b-road basher that can also do the motorway etc.

Dated?? It's the same bloody shell?
Unless you're getting confused with a ph1 172?

GB 182 FF
For some reason, to my engineer eyes the PH2 172 looks a lot 'older' than the 182. Meh My eyes, my 'problem' lol
PH1 is velly old looking, but im sure its wonderful on track if I wanted such a device for pure track only fun

its a 182 of somesort or nothing as far as I care.

Ph 1 172
hold out for the 182FF never see the point in the cup of im being honest you lose all the good things and gain very little. FF or trophy that would be my two options. only thing i prefer about the cups is that cambelt prices are cheaper lol.

GB 182 FF
:p from the front they look vastly different to me... meh like I care what you think to that lol.

I shall resist the cups then.... just there seems to be more orange cups about than non cups (yes I know of a couple of orange FF's here).
Still, tis the ideal season to be buying cars :) pre xmas slump FTW

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
OK mate - the fact you're even asking the question suggests you already know the answer...

I used to own a 225 Cup, and while it was a belter, I always kind of wished I'd got the FF, or at least ticked the Recaro seat option! If you wait and hunt well, you'll find a FF+Cup packs that will suit you. From what I'm seeing, most other people would rather have the FF+Cup too, so when it comes to selling on, it should be that bit easier. I'm not even going to get started on the 172 vs 182 debate (ok.. I didn't even consider a 172!).

Oh - just read ur last message... Ur after a FF+Cup AND inferno? Good luck, only 114 of them and I've just bought one :p

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Massively different ;)
5adb8882-5838-7b98.jpg

5adb8882-584c-8eaf.jpg

GB 182 FF
There are a few kicking about for sale... and not moving at all, which is handy ;) and a few more cup infernos..... but I would rather get a black FF +cups from the real thinking about it side of life.

I drove a 172, it was a giggle, but I WANT a 182 due to nicer colours on offer, wheels look better, newer, it irritates people to say the 172 looks gash etc lol

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
lol - brown bear, that 172 is well different from the front, it looks like it's had it's fried egg indicators swapped!

I think Inferno only came out in 2005 too, so they're a touch more. According to heritage figures, there were only 148 FF (only 20 of them didnt have some sort of cup pack) and 168 straight Cup versions.

Blacks on the other hand, there were 1957 FF sold, 271 staying as FF so there are loads more and they were available in black on a 182 to start. More cars, more room to haggle. Inferno is obviously more rare, but that's because they weren't that popular in the first place, else they'd have sold a lot more..

Iceberg 172
Are you on drugs?

It doesn't irritate me if you think a 172 looks gash in comparison to a 182... It just makes you look like a dick who is clearly massively un-educated when it comes to 1*2's!

GB 182 FF
Are you on drugs?

It doesn't irritate me if you think a 172 looks gash in comparison to a 182... It just makes you look like a dick who is clearly massively un-educated when it comes to 1*2's!

lol love you too hunny :p

How is it un-ejumakated to look at two cars and even thought they might be made of the same parts, consider them to look different... Its nothing to do with knowing every nut and bolt of a car. I'm sure you will cope after biting hard.

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
I don't think he looks a d!ck, I think he's rather entertaining, but then I've got a stupid sense of humour..

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If you buy a cup you will constantly be questioning if you would have been happier with the FF.

That was the exact same thing I was thinking when I got the 172Cup (proper Cup), a 182Cup is not quite the same thing...as its only a little amount lighter than a 182 proper...whereas the 172Cup was 89Kgs lighter than a standard 172.

Got for a FF 182...the 182Cup is just a half arsed attempt at copying what the 172Cup was IMHO. :)

Also, the 172Cup was the nicest of the Ph2s made...best wheels, nicest colour compared to the others...they tried the Arctic Blue...but still wasn't as much of a step forwards as the 172Cup was to the normal 172s in terms of colour.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I was after a FF182 with cup packs a couple of months ago, but the best example I saw was a 182 cup in racing blue. So I bought that.

I dont understand peoples comments on here about 182 cups being half arsed or whatever, they were a good £1k or so cheaper than a full spec 182 with leather when they were new, so made it a cheaper way to get the car without the bits some people didnt put too much importance on.

The seats are exactly the same, but cloth in the the Cup, half leather in the normal or FF182.

Cup still has ABS, traction, A/C, cruise, so no significant great loss if you can buy the car cheaper.

Vectra SRi
i know exactly where you're coming from with the looks, i know it's only wheels, exhaust and spoiler but those few bits make a huge difference to me! definatly go for the 182 FF though, cups interior looks shite if nothing else!

I was after a FF182 with cup packs a couple of months ago, but the best example I saw was a 182 cup in racing blue. So I bought that.

I dont understand peoples comments on here about 182 cups being half arsed or whatever, they were a good £1k or so cheaper than a full spec 182 with leather when they were new, so made it a cheaper way to get the car without the bits some people didnt put too much importance on.

The seats are exactly the same, but cloth in the the Cup, half leather in the normal or FF182.

Cup still has ABS, traction, A/C, cruise, so no significant great loss if you can buy the car cheaper.

i think thats the point, it's half arsed as its supposed to be a stripped out road going race car! which the 182 cup just isn't!!

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
I think because the difference between the FF+Cup and Cup are so few, it's a bit like 'why would I not want to get the half leather etc for the similar price'. I know I thought that when looking, so it'll be the same when it comes to selling.

Yes you would be happy in a Cup. I've been in both extensively, and when you're sat down, there's little or no difference. Nothing that will affect your enjoyment. That said the cloth trim is a bit pauper, but then let's be blunt, the chairs are f**king s**t anyway. I suppose a bit of fake blue/grey leather makes them look a bit nicer. I'd say just look around for good examples of either, and choose one that takes your fancy. If however, you're the type of person who feels superior with Casio climate control, and 'toys' that don't really work very well, then you MUST get the full fat car, or you won't be able to join the FF Heroes club of ELITE Clio owners.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Stripped out road racer? You'd cry if you sat in a 205 if you think a cup is a stripped road racer lol.

The 172cup was a sportier version of the 172. But people like cs asked for the suspension option on the normal version. So since then the cup has been a 'value' model of the normal car.

Nothing more, nothing less. Funny thing is you find those that say a 182cup is pointless, ruining their tight little pants over a 200cup.

Morons.

Was it not actually proven that the 200Cup is the most pointless Renualtsport Clio ever? It's like 1kg lighter or something, and the dash is made from hard plastic. Somehow though, it's the CS hero's choice while the 182Cup is the worst car ever made. Morons indeed. Post a pic up of an orange tow eye (or something equally as pointless), and it'll be the coolest 'race car mod' ever.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Was it not actually proven that the 200Cup is the most pointless Renualtsport Clio ever? It's like 1kg lighter or something, and the dash is made from hard plastic. Somehow though, it's the CS hero's choice while the 182Cup is the worst car ever made. Morons indeed. Post a pic up of an orange tow eye (or something equally as pointless), and it'll be the coolest 'race car mod' ever.

Yeah, I got very bored and worked out the power to weight ratios.
Load of shite. I'm glad I went for a 182cup back in the day. Drove the same, looked the same, cost me less.

Indeed, and the 200Cup is actually EVEN more pointless, because it DOESN'T have any of the toys that ARE in the 182Cup. Even AC is an option I believe? Ahhh but that's because it's a road going race car!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Are you actually blind?

You do know all the part numbers for the entire front end are the same for both the 172 & 182's??

Infact I can't think of anything exterior wise on a mk2 shell bar the rear bumper and the grey/black headlight inserts that are NOT exactly the same!

Oh the aerial base if it's got a cup spoiler - must be this that makes them look so different!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Indeed, and the 200Cup is actually EVEN more pointless, because it DOESN'T have any of the toys that ARE in the 182Cup. Even AC is an option I believe? Ahhh but that's because it's a road going race car!

No cruise control. Because it's toooooooooo heavy lol.

TBF I think the visual front end difference is the splitter. It does actually quite drastically improve the look, and IIRC it wasn't an OE option on the 172, so perhaps that's where the perception comes from?