ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wot is raw?

mk 2 172
wot exactly is raw, and wots the benifits over the normal 'fine' qualitly. ive havnt realy used raw because i cant open it in photoshop.

Rally bus
RAW files contain raw image data i.e. not compressed/processed. They are therefore more adjustable if you want to fiddle around with white balance and so on afterwards. If you have the camera set to save at jpg fine quality then the camera will process the RAW data and compress it down to a jpg.

can't stand the sarcy "let me google that for you" replies

Usually just people trying to be clever TBH. It is slightly amusing but pretty dull mostly. the people that thought up the idea and wrote the code should take credit, but the people who love to use it in threads they have no interest in should go do something less boring instead :)

mk 2 172

nor me mate

RAW files contain raw image data i.e. not compressed/processed. They are therefore more adjustable if you want to fiddle around with white balance and so on afterwards. If you have the camera set to save at jpg fine quality then the camera will process the RAW data and compress it down to a jpg.

thanks gary,so raw isnt nessisaraly 'better' picture quality. just makes editing easyier.

172 mk2 Iceberg
the last bit got it for me Garry

In fact, a great test is to go out just to shoot something (even just in the backyard or around the block). Shoot several photographs under various lighting conditions using the Raw + JPEG setting on your DSLR (if it has that capability). Take them back to your computer and compare after processing the Raw files. Take into consideration your time in doing so and see if the gain is worth your extra time.

Artic Blue 182 FF
what software can edit raw files?

Most camera come with their own raw editing software. E.g. canon uses digital photo professional, but you can use stuff like photomatix, raw imaged editer. Theres loads of freeware floating about, but its mostly pants.

VaVa

Usually just people trying to be clever TBH. It is slightly amusing but pretty dull mostly. the people that thought up the idea and wrote the code should take credit, but the people who love to use it in threads they have no interest in should go do something less boring instead :)

Maybe so, but the guy who posted the Google link has had a more more positive input in this thread than you pair......

I find CS3 very easy to use for RAW editing. Personally I don't shoot in RAW much - I find the extra processing time outweighs the results - 9/10 I get better results if I tweak (levels, contrast etc) a jpeg that starting from scratch with a RAW.

I have tweaked the settings of my 350D to get better jpegs out of it though.

Theres a very simple way to avoid it. You use your own brain which I know is a struggle for a lot of people on here, but its the easiest way.

Ive never bothered with RAW, just use JPEG. Might give it a try as I presume CS2 can open it..

mk 2 172
dont wanna start an arguement about the 'google' thing. but nednax86 has apologised for being sarcy and understands that it would of took the same effort to simply reply wot raw is, but im sure there is a lot of people that didnt understand raw image and never thought to reaserch it that now no wot it means.

btw egnore the dyslexia kicking in lol

james

Cupra
You might have to download a patch from Adobe in order to open some RAW files. You might need a legit copy of photoshop to get the patch. Bear in mind that unless you are planning on doing some PP work, the JPEGS normally look better due to the processing done by the camera.

I always shoot in RAW & JPG at the same time, takes more room on the card, but it has given me more than a couple of shots that I would have lost if I had only been using JPG, as well as saving my a lot of time on all the ones which were fine as they were and then did not need to be processed.

Cupra
I think Lightroom can also process Raw files. It is a quicker and easier to use than Photoshop with a lot of development settings. Might be worth downloading a trial version? It is a lot cheaper than Photoshop too. It obviously has a number of limitations but I use it a lot.

Theres a very simple way to avoid it. You use your own brain which I know is a struggle for a lot of people on here, but its the easiest way.

Ive never bothered with RAW, just use JPEG. Might give it a try as I presume CS2 can open it..

assuming the camera RAW file in CS2 supposrts it. when I got my 40D I had to get CS3 to use the RAW converter because Adobe stopped supporting CS2 so never updated the file.