ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Withoutabix's Shared Flamer

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Well after being on CS for 3 and abit years I've finally got hold of a 172 albeit its not actually mine and legally belongs to my GF its more likely to be my little project that she uses on the weekends etc

The car is question is 2002 Flamer, formally owned by chris (aka eightyeightyMPH on here) has been very well treated during his ownership and looked after properly which made a change from most of the cars i looked at or enquired about during my search for the right car.

It came with a folder full of receipts and most important a Cambelt receipt from Mr BTM so i felt much more confident in purchasing this car compared to others id enquired about. Car is currently on 57,000 and feels awesome to drive I've kinda forgot what its like to have a nice 2.0 n/a to rev the b****cks off as I've been spoilt by turbos and chargers somewhat in my last few cars!

Car currently sits on eibach sportlines and seems to swallow up the bumps pretty well i was worried they would be crashy but them seem okay for the moment it also has a K-tec super stealth exhaust and chris fitted some 3/4 plates which look much better then the standard size!

Anyway heres the pics

742bbe44.jpg

9cedefe9.jpg

fd1b4c52.jpg

first night in the snow

bdcbe1e5.jpg

Representing

d36fb500.jpg

and the main thing that needs sorting is the drivers side which has a fist size dent in the rear quarter and a dent in the door.

9f6aa669.jpg

dd35b2be.jpg

I've been already been and booked it into the body shop for tomorrow so its having to have the whole drivers side sorted along with the front bumper resprayed to fix a few marks on that.

Future plans are just a skoda splitter, cup spoiler and if i can convince the other half some silver Turinis or 2118's

All in were both very happy with the purchase and can now see what all the fuss is about!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Looks nice. Flamer FTW everytime, I am a little biased though. What you doing to sort the panel? Agree in keeping it OEM, same as Steve's and mine really. Only add on to Steve's that I've done which I'd recommend from a looks perspective are spacers. Chippens is a great OEM example aswell. Looking forward to how the project progresses.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?612638-Cub-172-s-Flamer-Project

Last edited:

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Looks nice. Flamer FTW everytime, I am a little biased though. What you doing to sort the panel? Agree in keeping it OEM, same as Steve's and mine really. Only add on Steve's that I've done which I'd recommend from a looks perspective are spacers. Looking forward to how the project progresses.

Tbh i love the colour altho RB was our first choice just couldn't find one that ticked all the boxes

The panel is being pulled as much as possible I believe then probably gonna get some filler, the whole side is being blended and the front bumper is getting a full going over to remove a few marks. I'll just leave it down to the bodyshop to sort tbh they are very keen on doing a good job tho which is good and were more than happy to show me the level of finish they achieved on car there currently working on

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
well time to update this somewhat

The cars is going grand, have a few niggles that should be sorted soon hopefully mainly

Engine and gearbox mounts feel like they might need changing
Xenons not adjusting and blinding other road users as I'm constantly getting flashed when driving at night
Need an original ariel as the smaller one is messing up the radio
Brakes gonna be painted silver instead of the dark red they currently are.
General Going of from Fred hopefully

Anyway some pics, the 250 has been turfed out of the garage so the 172's paint can get some decent attention, Im only about half way through ATM so should be done before the weekend.

0015e7d4.jpg

407f03a2.jpg

Tried some new stuff from the shinearama meet

3af94a58.jpg

4142ab98.jpg

bb4a4b7f.jpg

Onto the IronX but no too bad

c4458ded.jpg

8cd22867.jpg

And into the Garage to be taped up

3614d3c7.jpg

And some of the before and afters on half the car, The roof tbh is shocking i think its been attacked with one of those long reach brushes, I've had a right good go at it and i think it needs wet sanding .

Before

9aa1db77.jpg

After

17e959b7.jpg

and some of the general before and afters

13ca2831.jpg

d9ce49c3.jpg

57fe234d.jpg

fc2a68cc.jpg

1b3bfeac.jpg

6111e909.jpg

and what happens when you let a Megs microfibre pad get abit excited and spin at speed 6 on the DA it nearly took my head off when it let go...

837a3b9e.jpg

will update tomorrow when most of the car should be corrected and can get the 250 back in its rightful home!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Pics of the 250 needed <3

I've got some new ones coming soon hopefully!

Spent another 3hrs on the 172 today, managed to finish off the correction but still need to get it Amigo'd up with the DA and protected with Zainio Z2..

I've had the wheels off and painted the callipers

Before

394a3a5d.jpg

The paint

8d7f2778.jpg

The result

4f7beab2.jpg

0ba4d4aa.jpg

Also noticed that the front grille had seen better days had faded terribly and i didn't fancy wasting a tonne of Gtech C4 just to get it upto standard so decided to get out the matt black paint.

Before

0b080c49.jpg

During

2fd89c83.jpg

and after

161d02f6.jpg

its hard to see but looks so so much better

Another update tomorrow no doubt

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got the car finished

Had some right fun with IronX on the wheels never seen bleeding like it!

This was with the new Carpro TRIX

46f05440.jpg

This was with just IronX

2250eb74.jpg

0a672fce.jpg

Decided to use up the last of my Gtech C4 Anybody needing to improve trim then this is for you!

449d3921.jpg

Before

9bb35938.jpg

and 50/50

b311cd45.jpg

The wheels were sealed with Zainio Z2

e4b927aa.jpg

8ae4dd76.jpg

And finally the car got a Coating of Prima Amigo by DA then that was followed up with a layer on Z2 and a wipedown of Z8

a55306da.jpg

83defee1.jpg

0cfc6885.jpg

and finally i love this pic as it shows off the flake pop and the true colour of Flame red - such an awesome colour!

edf995a0.jpg

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Did you use anything to agitate the ironX? I've found just applying and jet washing off really isnt doing any good for me

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
NICE-

every bit as good as mine :)

i doubt it very much steve, this car has a few paint work issues that need sorting, the bonnet is a right mess along with the roof! Wet sand time soon me thinks

Nice Neil!

Those wheels with IronX :eek:

never seen anything like it dude, it literally turned purple as soon as the IronX hit the surface was crazy!

Did you use anything to agitate the ironX? I've found just applying and jet washing off really isnt doing any good for me

I agitate with a detailing brush chris, i treat it as a wheel cleaner TBH i spray on, leave to dwell for 5mins then agitate with a brush they usually come up sparking then

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Think I need to get a decent brush mate, what do you recommend? I use an E-z detailing brush when the wheels are on the car but really need something to get in the nucks and crannys