ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*With the cold weather due check list*

Being as its supposed to if you belive the news getting down to -17 c its worth checking the coolent in your car is good and new most garages will check it for free. It should be chnaged every 5 years and if you have a Clio used the Renault type D stuff its only cheap £25 for 5 liters is fine for all bar the V6 which needs 11 or so GSF apparently sell it cheaper as well.

However just because the book says its ok for 5 years doens't mean it will be I'e seen it needed chnaging in under 4 years time and time again for the very cold weather.

If it does freeze your might get lucky and just get a leaking pipe etc whcih could be fixed cheap at worst your looking at a new engine and rad and pipe.

Also check your oil is ok 5-x0 is ok under renault specs down to -25 c but 10-x0 weight is only ok down to -20 not sure it will ever get that cold though to be an issue.

Also check your washer bottle they need more than just water or again the water will freeze and crack the bottle/pump/pipes etc.

Also for diesel owners keep your tanks topped up as it will help stop fuel gelling not sure what mixture is being sold at the moment but in extreme temsp it can gell up and err forget it if it does it can cause loads of damage if you even can start the car if you do have an issue with it push the car into a garage etc with a heather for a bit and it will be fine a full tank helsp stops gelling though. I don't recomend the old tricks of mixing other stuff in with the flels in new engnes older engines are Ok though.

Maz

LY 200
Helpful as always Edde :)

My car is just over 3 years old Edde should I get my coolent checked ?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Helpful :) Hope it does get to -17!

Oils just been changed
Coolant has been changed 4 times in last year.

Clio MK2 (1.2)
suppose to snow preety bad tonight, i just hope my car will start, been having time where it doesnt do then a couple ov minuted later it starts :) still no fan tho :(

My car is just over 3 years old Edde should I get my coolent checked ?
I'd get it checked yep whats the harm its probably going to be fine but if it gets very cold and your cars out in the very cold and it freezes you'll regred not having it checked it not much to have ti chnaged anyway. Get a garage you trust to check it Renault often do it when you take a car in for anything as part of there 25 point check else the testers can be bought for a few quid from Halfords etc
Helpful :) Hope it does get to -17!
Coolant has been changed 4 times in last year.
I know I go a bit overboard at times but 4 times a year what an example.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Good bit of advice there edde .

If it gets down to -17 i'll dance naked in Darwen town centre ;)

For anyone thinking of changing their antifreeze/coolant it should be mixed in the ratio of 60% antifreeze 40% water . Pure antifreeze does freeze at around -10 .

Last edited:
Good bit of advice there edde .

If it gets down to -17 i'll dance naked in Darwen town centre ;)
I also don't belive it will get that cold either but hey it has to be said.

I forgot to say car batterys will take a bit of load and can fail to supply all the power you need so if your think yours is low on power get it checked/changed it might not be cheape etc but its better than a failure before work etc.

For anyone thinking of changing their antifreeze/coolant it should be mixed in the ratio of 60% antifreeze 40% water . Pure antifreeze does freeze at around -10 .

Renault type D is IMO the only stuff which should be used and its put in pure no dilution its fine down to silly low temps.

172 cup'd extreme
Type D is ready mixed in its 5 litre bottle its about £11 from GSF.
Type D is fully compatable with the seals used in renault engines, you can you any coolant you want but renault do recommend type d.

Type D is good down to -21

To check the coolant yourself you can buy a tester from halfords for £1.99 all you do is take the cap off the header and dip it in the header it will then tell you if its good or not.

On the 2.0 models is there a bleed screw or not? couldnt see one looking the other day but you probably have to remove all sorts to get to it!

Will change mine at my 36,000 mile service which is soon but shudnt get to cold down here

sav

Renault Clio 1.2 mk2 ph1
To check the coolant yourself you can buy a tester from halfords for £1.99 all you do is take the cap off the header and dip it in the header it will then tell you if its good or not.

u got a link i cant find one lol

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Renault type D is IMO the only stuff which should be used and its put in pure no dilution its fine down to silly low temps.

Is this available from Renault dealers only then? What's GSF?
Nope the stuff is called Renault type D coolent as said gsf stock it.
On the 2.0 models is there a bleed screw or not? couldnt see one looking the other day but you probably have to remove all sorts to get to it!
Yep there is one on the side of the block.

Is this available from Renault dealers only then? What's GSF?
Nope the stuff is called Renault type D coolent as said gsf stock it.
Yep there is one on the side of the block.

Thanks, is there anything about these engines you dont know btw?