ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wiring extra cigarette lighter socket, some help please?????

J

jakm15

Hi, I want to wire another cigarette lighter socket into my car, the reason I want to do this is because my iPod is in a holder which is on the hazards lights switch behind the gear stick and at the moment I have just an aux lead from the iPod to my radio, all the wires are hidden and I want a charger cable from my iPod and to an extra socket behind the original socket so that I can plug my iPod charger into it and it to be hidden
I have taken the socket out and there are 2 dark purple wires going into the same terminal on the rear of the socket and a single orange and a blue cable as you can see on the picture, I have been to the scrap yard today and picked up an extra socket but this has a black cable a red and a yellow and black one which is also on the picture
What I want to know is how do I wire it up????
Thanks in advance.

DSC02634.gif

DSC02633.gif

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why don't you just cut the end off the ipod charger and connect it directly to the wires?

J

jakm15

i cannot do this because that would feed 12v straight into my 3v ipod and fry it, at the end of the charger cable is the plug and this acts as a transformer and also has a fuse built in this is why i want a socket. cheers anyway

Polo + Micra
is there a light on the new socket?

as i'd say
red = +
black = -
Yellow = light

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
if you dont sort it for tomorrow i'll look when i get home from work and get the multi meter out for ya

J

jakm15

I don’t want to use a multi adaptor because I want everything to be hidden. Yes there is a light on it; I know what the wires are on the extra socket I just need to find out what they are on the standard because they are weird colours and I need to find out which is positive which is negative and what the other 1 is for. markblack172 that would be a real help and much appreciated. Cheers everyone

Polo + Micra
multi meter is your friend to find out the wires for the original socket

but at a guess

purple = -
Yellow = +
blue = Light

1998 BMW e46 323i
Is Fubar's site down or no more? He's the fella to help you out... Did a load of guides, but it seems his own site is no more.

J

jakm15

sorted it out now Dink was right

purple = -
Yellow = +
blue = Light

all working fine

cheers!