ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless router

Im putting in a wireless router in at home, I have a wireless Netgear router with wired network capabilitys and a netgear pci wireless card on its way to me on Wednesday. However im a bit unsure how to set it up. All I want it to do is sit in the corner of my living room so I dont have a wire trailing along the living room floor.

Lastnight I thought I would try out the router with my psp. Whilst it recognised the router with a 100% signal when I tryed to use the web browser it came up wih a DNS error.

I had no security set up as it was just to try it out.

Im wondering have I purchesed the right kit?

Do I need to attach the Wireless router to the computer or is it a case of putting the PCI wirelss card in to the compuer and letting it 'talk' to the router?

How easy is it to set up the security?

Sorry for a ll the questions nbut im very new to this wireless stuff.

Scott

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
you haven't explained where your internet connection is coming from, if it is coming from the computer then you will need the wireless card in place to talk with the router. Security is quite easy to setup, use WPA-PSK (pre-shared-key) with a password and don't broadcast the SSID (network name), that way you will have to manually enter the network name (you set) and PSK to connect to the network (no-one will be able to see it).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its nothing to do with the security of the router as such.. you need to setup the router's dhcp server to issue any computers requesting one an IP, or you need to manually assign the IP's/subnet/gateway to each computer in your network.

Additionaly if you go with the dhcp option (the better option) you will need to enter your ISP's DNS server information so that it can pass that onto any client requesting an IP from the DHCP, if you go with the manually assigned option you will also need to manually assign your DNS servers.

Once you have a good connection and its working... then start adding the security to the wireless connection.

R20GRC said:
you haven't explained where your internet connection is coming from, if it is coming from the computer then you will need the wireless card in place to talk with the router. Security is quite easy to setup, use WPA-PSK (pre-shared-key) with a password and don't broadcast the SSID (network name), that way you will have to manually enter the network name (you set) and PSK to connect to the network (no-one will be able to see it).

I have a wireless card on order (netgear). So hopefully I will be able to sort it when it comes. I will post later.