ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless networking advice/buying and setting up.

I need to set up a wirless network but not sure what to use.

My idea was to use this http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4328&CategorySelectedId=11030&InMerch=1 (well I think it was this one) which is both a USB netwrok card and router.

Basically I need to find a cheap router for ADSL network
There one PC and a laptop going to share the network and preferbly the PC to be able to use the printer which is plugged into the laptop (don't ask why its that was round it just is its a USB printer if it matters)

So I need a network card etc for the PC (since it donesn't have one) the router is going in another room and the laptop has a network card in it (or least it should its anew one not check though)

Anyone any recomendation on a cheap one and links etc?

Clown Car
That is the router i have got, i got it from Currys for about £50 - http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...oduct&fm=1&sm=6&tm=0&sku=568710&category_oid=

It is a cheap router with most of the features you need and very easy to set up, the wireless range is ok, i can get a good signal anywhere in the house(3 storey house), i think it would be better to connect the router directly to your desktop pc via a network cable and then use the USB dongle for the laptop, if anything happens to your wireless side you will not be able to access the router setup screen if you were completely wireless, also i have found streaming youtube videos etc over wireless can get a bit jerky.

To improve the quality of your wireless connection, make sure you set up the wireless channel to a different number to any others near you.

When setting up the wireless security, use WPA, and select the PSK String 'radio button' at the bottom, you can then enter up to 63 alphanumeric characters in the password box next to it, use this website to generate a random passkey - https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Change the logon password, the username will stay as 'admin'.

When setting up the USB dongle on your laptop in win XP, there is a checkbox that says something like 'let windows manage you connection', uncheck that box, so you can use the software that comes with the USB dongle to setup a connection, i had allsorts of problems trying to connect wirelessly using the windows interface.

i think it would be better to connect the router directly to your desktop pc via a network cable and then use the USB dongle for the laptop, if anything happens to your wireless side you will not be able to access the router setup screen if you were completely wireless, also i have found streaming youtube videos etc over wireless can get a bit jerky.
Thanks for all the advice Ive got a wirless network at home this is for someone else the idea of the pc having the router isn't an optionis is not need any phone line so will use the laptop to se up accross the netwro then disconnect as such.

Ive nevr had aby trouble with streaming vids/downlaods on wireless thoughstrangly enough and that using both a wirless pc and lpatop on the same network at once.

Mnay thanks though.