ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Network Problem

Punto/Clio GTT
Yesterday i swapped our wireless network about a bit. Basically my pc upstairs is the main pc and the downstairs pc is hardly used, but it was hooked up directly to the router. It got 10mb line while my network card/signal would only get 2 meg. So yesterday i extended the phone cable upstairs and put the router upstairs and put the wireless card in the downstairs pc.

Now, the upstairs pc is perfect, works fine, good connection, good speed, but the downstairs PC is having problems connecting to the internet.

Its picking up the SKY router signal, but it wont aquire the network adress, it just keeps trying and trying. When i click repair, it wont go past "Renewing your IP adress".

On the properties details it has nothing by IP adress and nothing by Default Gateway.

Anyone any ideas what i can try to fix it as i really dont wanna swap everything back as it took a day to do.

Thanks

*edit* just the standard sky router i dunno which model it is

Last edited:
  Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Stupidly weak signal?

Is it set to "optain IP/DNS settings automatically"?

Try forcing it to obtain one manually instead of the repair.

Start,
Run,
type cmd then ok.
In the box that appears type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work assign a manual IP

Punto/Clio GTT
Try forcing it to obtain one manually instead of the repair.

Start,
Run,
type cmd then ok.
In the box that appears type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work assign a manual IP

cheers for fast reply lads. ok tried this and on renew it took about a minute to come back with "unable to contact your DHCP server, request has timed out"

ideas? also how do i assign an ip address manually and what determines what numbers i put in or does it need to match my ip adress on upstairs pc?

Stupidly weak signal?

i think so yea, those options in the wiress software set up where i scan for wireless networks in the signal range?

cheers for fast reply lads. ok tried this and on renew it took about a minute to come back with "unable to contact your DHCP server, request has timed out"

ideas? also how do i assign an ip address manually and what determines what numbers i put in or does it need to match my ip adress on upstairs pc?

Stupidly weak signal?

i think so yea, those options in the wiress software set up where i scan for wireless networks in the signal range?

I'll msg you on msn :rasp:

Punto/Clio GTT
ahhhh sorted it after a lengthy convo with ollie, what a pain in the arse wireless networks am.

cheers again dude!

*note* oooohhhh renenewed my membership, look at me :p

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
my laptops doing the same my comp works but the laptop doesnt ive tried allsorts but im no expert. mines the sky/netgear one.grr

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
yep.it says that wireless is connected then it will loose it for a few seconds.but it also says local area connection unplugged. and when i do that ipconfig/all it comes up media disconnected

Last edited:
  Punto/Clio GTT
jeez online just managed to get back online from 8pm last night. both computers were connected, but neither would send or recieve bytes, tried reinstalling networks, doing the dns again, same thing. just came onto the wireless pc and thought ide try set up a connection through windows instead of the software of the wireless card. seems to be working now. i HATE wireless networks.