ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wire less network

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Right I'm after a bit of confirmation on this but I will explain the situation first.

Downstairs plugged intot he master socket I have the sky wireless router plugged in. I'm getting utter s**te d/l speeds lately (0.5 mb/s) where I used to get about 5mb/s.

Plugged into the router I have

Sky box
apple tv
ps3
Pc

Wirless gadgets I have

2 ipads
ipod
Iphone
misses' phone
upstairs playstation
and soon to be pc upstairs too.

Now the problem I'm having is with the upstairs playstation I stream films from the pc downstairs for the boy to watch and I plan on doing the same to the pc upstairs when I get a chance but it's not a very smooth picture, buffers all the time etc.

Im afraid I'll have the same problem when I put the pc in upstairs, although it won't be streaming to it it will be sharing folders wirelessly with the pc downstairs so still using the network.

Is it because im getting crap Internet connection or is it because I'm at the limit of the sky router?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Problems with your router / wireless network. If your streaming you simply can't rely on Wireless, invest in some power adapters.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Thing with that is I've run out of power sockets behind the tv (where the router is) and which socket on the back of the router do I sacrifice?

mk2 182
You are running too many things of a shitty router to give you decent speeds. Sky's router is not designed for it. Try looking at an apple airport express or other form of router upgrade

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has a lot more on his sky router though and he doesn't have problems. (he does live within spitting distance of the exchange though)

I have been thinking of a router upgrade but then I don't know enough about them to pick a good one

A lot of routers allow you to prioritise streaming media. Look for in in your (probably) advanced router configuration it should be called QoS ( Quality of Service ) function. You may need to update the router firmware to get it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Problems with your router / wireless network. If your streaming you simply can't rely on Wireless, invest in some power adapters.

This.

Thing with that is I've run out of power sockets behind the tv (where the router is) and which socket on the back of the router do I sacrifice?

So get one with a power pass through plug.. or use a multi block extension.. use PS3 wireless downstairs as it should get a good connection if it is close to the router.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh I could sacrifice the ps3 downstairs as its rarely used so I'll look into getting one of those socket adapters to send it through the house.

So it has nothing to do with the fact I'm only having 0.5 mb/s coming into the house?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
How were you testing ? did you test on a wired computer or a wireless device ?

Test on wired and if you are still getting 0.5 then complain to your ISP as it's probably got a fault on your line.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes lol. Rang them up and complained they couldn't find anything wrong with the line.

She mentioned something about router channels and the wireless stuff I have using all my bandwidth though.

Im hoping this is the calm before the storm of fibre optic hits us tbh as I believe we should be getting it this month