ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

winter wheels??

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
bought new wheels this year for the car and have tried really hard to keep them nice,

(pic)
img0829m.jpg

but nows the weathers getting worse, more wet, and horrible, i really dont want to loose the shine on my wheels, but ive got no motivation to clean the car, and they seem to be getting very dirty, id probably stop driving full stop if the roads got gritted, or it snowed! and id be mortified if i lost it and hit a curb.

my alternative is to put my old wheels on, and clean mine up, and put them away for the winter.

problem is my other wheels are hideous curbed 17" chav scum with budgets on, so ill probs be more likely to crash!

the change in handling from 15s with bs potenzas to 17s with nangkangs might be unwise.

on the other hand i could use the extra 2" of ground clearance for puddles, :S what to do,

pic of alternative wheels

i dont really do too much driving anyway, so im not sure what to do,

a) look good, have some grip, clean my wheels constantly and hope the grit doesnt kill the polished lip, (with stretched tyres the rims very vulnerable), risk binning it into a curb.

b) look like a chav, have less grip that id like/am used to, do more petrol and have less speed (in my badass 1.2) and not give a s**t about the wheels/entire car until the weather looks up??

ideas?

DCi 100
f**k what others think, keep your wheels nice for okish weather.

Drive to the conditions and you'll be fine. I crawl around, litterally, in the mornings when it's freezing because of never knowing how the road will be.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
If you don't want to ruin your current wheels or don't want to cleab/refurb/etc them, then sell the 17s and get some cheap 2nd hand 15"/16" wheels with tyres and just run those over winter.

Or if you want to spend even less, then get some steelies and hubcaps :cool:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
problem is im abit poor with christmas around the corner,

might try and do a swap for some steelies,

i think ill have a hard time shifting those wheels, theyre not in a very good condition.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol, so everyones voting to get the current wheels off im guessing yes?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Go to a scrappy, just make sure they're not bent.

Keep a look out on the classifieds on here.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
how much do scrappies usually sting for them?? and do they leave the tyres on??

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
probs not, theyre stretched on to my current rims,

having them fitted would cost £40 alone,
then fitted back again would be another 40,

ill see if i can find anyone to px some steelies for my old wheels,
may go down a treat in some council estates.

2001 Clio 1.4 Si
1. Sell the chav wheels
2. Buy some steelies with decent tyres from local breakers.
3. Buy some green paint
4. Go to town on them bad boys!

Would. Look. Mint.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
1. Sell the chav wheels YES
2. Buy some steelies with decent tyres from local breakers. Yes
3. Buy some green paint NO!
4. Go to town on them bad boys! NO!

Would. Look. Mint.

clean the steelies up with some nitromors or something and polish up the metal, will look much better than green steelies :dead:

White ds3
just put the old 1s back on for a month or so. or just leave em dirty till sumer then give them a good waxing and the shine will be back i asure you

Megane RS 250
Don't worry too much about the polished lip...is polished! It means if it curbs it's easy to bring it back to shiny with a bit of work...anyway 15" steelis or cheap wheels with winter tyres are the way to go, in black or silver (bare metal for the steelies in this case)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you need some banded steels

im going for winter spec, (cheap)

banded steels always seem to come with a rather hefty price tag! :(

though i think ive found a buyer for my wheels,

a college peer actually said he prefered them :dead:
i need to change my friends lol.

SG9 Forester STi
Get yourself to Brentwood Autos, when I had my accident I got all the bits from there and they're really cheap and have a good amount of clios, you could pick up a decent set of steelies from them.

Haha, yep change your friends!

GTD, Lupo
Are they Lenso`s? If so i really wouldnt worry about wrecking them ;) Im gonna go the opposite direction here and say sod the winter wheels just man up and use them through winter. I ran my RMs all last winter and they did fine considering they had a polished ally lip. Just had to give them a fresh water wash after long journeys and a bit of a polish once a week which was no more than i had to do through summer.

Really dislike the term winter wheels as people normally spend more money on a second set of wheels than it would just cost to refurb the ones used through winter.

DSCF2735.jpg

Paul

Last edited:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Hey man what did you do in the end? did you manage to sell your 17s? :S

Black Clio GT
those rms look sexual, use the lensos as winters then get them sprayed up end of spring or even beter get some proper splits.........