ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter Tyres - Are you?

Tushay....

(I didn't say it did, did I?)

;)

I didn't say this thread bothered me.

Anyway, back on topic.

4 winter tyres will cost more than my car is worth. So no, not this year. Once I stop doing a stupid commute, and buy a car I like, I'll get some. Well worth it.

Got mine fitted again today. Drove to the conditions on the way there, drove to the conditions on the way back.

Welcome reduction in road noise, and a nice bump in ride comfort. Slightly softer handling, but I always drive to the conditions anyway. Plus all four of my summers were on the limit and have now been binned, so I just saved myself £900. Maximum win.

I have a spare set of steelies with Michelin Ultragrip's on for my 1.2 daily hack. Make so much difference, think they will be going on next week as it seems to be below 8 degrees now.

This may be interesting to some of you...

430168_10151097415903613_533338713_n.jpg

My point is as soon as you say winter tyres people immediately assume they're only for and only provide benefits when it snows. That's not the case at all, but still this is CS and trying to educate morons is always hard work.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well seeing as you're endorsing them, maybe you could explain to the morons (myself included) about the benefits of buying winter tyres. Genuinley i'm failing to see the benefits & also why it offends so many of the experts on here about it.

DB.

BMW 440i
Tbh, if you leave distance then the difference in tyres isn't hugely beneficial.

Its the tw*ts behind that don't then come into the back of you that are the problem, and I can't buy them winter tyres.

Minor improvement, far from worth it IMO on cars worth £0-£16/17k. As the value of the car gets high enough, they may have more value.

Well seeing as you're endorsing them, maybe you could explain to the morons (myself included) about the benefits of buying winter tyres. Genuinley i'm failing to see the benefits & also why it offends so many of the experts on here about it.

Try a set back to back and you'll see the point. As for the wet day in winter vs wet day in summer you're talking about in the UK wet + temps of -5 ish to 8 degrees or wet + temps of +5 to +15 ish at a guess. Anyone on here who watches motorsport will know that different compounds of rubber have an operating window and the same is true with road tyres.

I wasn't calling you a moron for the record, just every bloody time winter tyres get brought up all you get is people banging on about snow like it's the only condition or reason to buy/use them.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Fair enough mate, however, with regard to the tyre compounds etc. Wouldn't you need to be driving at 10/10'ths to realise a tyres potential?

My biggest fear of driving is the greasy road type you have after days of sunshine, you know the drill! I've had so many hairy shaped performances in those instances than in snow/wet/slushy conditions!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've driven 50,000+ miles a year for the last 5 years. Never EVER fitted ''winter'' tyres and never will. In fact that's a bit of a lie, I bought a Pajero purely because it had winter tyres on it but sold it within a week and couldn't be arsed to find another one.

If the weathers a bit ropey i'll hang back from people. If the weather is really dreadful I won't drive anywhere because my life is more valuable than going somewhere.

Simple.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I have a set for my M3 and they work a treat. Even in the wet at anything remotely cool they are more confidence inspiring than summer tyres. More lateral movement though so you can't stick it in like you would have on summers.

In snow and ice, I was driving up hills passing all manner of 4x4's on summer rubber.

If you do some searching, you can pick them up on eBay for half rrp used and they are very hard wearing.

More grip on the road is always a good thing where safety is concerned whether you're balls out or not. No different to people who say they only drive a 1.2 so there's no point putting anything other than cheap tyres on, last time I checked you're still traveling at 30, 40, 70 etc same as bigger engined or performance cars you share the road with.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
More grip on the road is always a good thing where safety is concerned whether you're balls out or not. No different to people who say they only drive a 1.2 so there's no point putting anything other than cheap tyres on, last time I checked you're still traveling at 30, 40, 70 etc same as bigger engined or performance cars you share the road with.

I completely agree with what you're saying...

BUT!

Life is all about averages and chance. Now If i go and spend £400 shodding my wifes Rav4 with some winter spec tyres, is she going to benefit?? No. Because if the weather is remotely bad, she'll stay at home. She's carrying two small children and its not worth the risk.

Lets say I did spend £400 on wonter tyres to give her a bit of confidence on going out in the winter weather, is that going to stop her getting thumped at 70mph by a 2 tonne BMW wearing summer tyres?!

Until its law and EVERYONE has to wear winter boots, its a non entity.

IMO of course.

The cost can be reduced as others have said. I'm not on a crusade to get everyone to fit them because lets face it there are plenty of cars on the road that have bigger safety issues than season correct tyres and that's before you talk about the idiot driving the thing.

That said, they are winter tyres and as such are better in winter not just snow, they do provide a tangible benefit in the winter months and anyone suggesting otherwise is a bit special to say the least. Whether they feel the need to, are bothered or will spend the cash is an entirely different matter though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Turkish, out of curiosity; How many winters did you manage without winter tyres before you started using them? (I assume you've been driving a few years now?)