ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter tires on 2020's ?

Meg 225
HI all,

tonight i'm gonna pick up a set of Speedline 2020's. Can pick em up for cheap money, now i want to use them as winter wheels and wondering what you guys reckon is a good winter tyre and what size i should go for on the 2020's (same as 2118's) ? The car is not lowered at all now and i think i''l lower it after the winter. After the winter i think i'll refurb the and decide if they suit my flamer.

SQ5
If you dont expect snow and a lot of standing water around (and you can drive relatively well) R888s all day long! I will be slated for saying it but I ran them for two winters.

Perfectly fine and have a greater surface area than all other tyres!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Danny, your a brave man fella.
Im obviously getting old and don't have the balls for that anymore :cry:

Heard nothing but good reviews about the Nankang SV2 snow tyres. Don't let the brand put you off!! I'd guess 195/50 15 or 185 with a slight stretch but less rim protection should be about right.

Michelin Alpin, cracking cold weather tyre. Not had chance to try them in snow yet but in cold wet conditions they are fantastic.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Again have you tried them?

For the two winters we had there was a little snow and ice, but driving sensibly they were brilliant!

I've heard that they shouldn't be left out when it's cold, as it damages the rubber?

BTW my R888s are wrapped up in the garage for the winter ;)

I've heard that they shouldn't be left out when it's cold, as it damages the rubber?

I have never heard that, and never had a problem with my tyres. The track car spends it's winters in a non-heated garage.

Is your garage heated?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I have never heard that, and never had a problem with my tyres. The track car spends it's winters in a non-heated garage.

Is your garage heated?

Caution sticker that was on the R888s

6347899779_c0e85ac7a6_z.jpg

securedownload by fletcher10, on Flickr

The wheels and R888's are left in my non heated garage, which does get cold, but nowhere near as low as the temperatures outside.

SQ5
It's only to do with if car being used as the rubber can crack when it's cold and brittle. It's more to do with actually putting the tyre on though!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Have you decided or gotten any further with tyre choice?

Looking to run winter tyres on my 2118, any help on tyre size (thinking 195 50's) and brands would be apprechiated

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
If they are actually 2020's which are magnesium make sure there are no chips or scratches or the salt will eat them to death.