ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen cracked, no windscreen cover, available options? DIY?

gdw

RS Clio 172
Hey,

I've trawled through some threads, dating back to 2008 but still not got my answer.

Just after some advice really please on whats my best way to sort my dilema, at the moment the crack is out of view but I imagine it will get worse and require attention in the near future and my cover unfortunately does not support windscreens cracks or chips. (Elephant TPFT)

My Questions are;
Do all clios have the same size windscreen? (Phase 2)
are they all bonded?
do I require a specific glass for the rain sensors or the lights?
whats this green and blue variation?
Is it an hard job for someone to DIY

I imagine I would be best trying to source one locally and getting someone to install it for me but what would be sensible charge for such service?

Thanks Guys,
Gary

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Just put windscreen cover on your insurance wait a month or so and claim

gdw

RS Clio 172
Never thought of that, I will give them a try and see what extra it is, I paid the premium off in one go.

gdw

RS Clio 172
Load of tosh, cant add windscreen cover to my policy after 14 days passes, wouldnt mind but i've only had the vehicle 23 days.

My option was to cancel policy and take out a new policy adding the option of windscreen cover, or upgrading to comprehensive cover.

Basically back to sourcing a windscreen and getting someone to fit it, except the lights and windscreen wipers are they all the same size, from that could I use a lesser model or not.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd be ringing someone like autoglass and asking what kind of price you'd be looking at for a proper screen.

Or potentially getting one from a salvage/breakers and getting quotes on fitting.

I'm interested to be honest as mine is quite scratched from the prev owner and I really want to get a new screen in there.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Does your insurance policy run out before your mot? If so just sort it that way... I'd really begrudge paying full whack for somthing like that... For all the money we spend on insurance bout time you got somthing back

gdw

RS Clio 172
I've had two quotes today, one from Autoglass of £446 fitted (includes VAT) and one from a local firm £196 supplied and fitted (includes VAT) needless to say I'm quite happy about the second quote, the guy advised me its like for like, so it comes with the rain and light sensor.

Amazed how the prices differ, I still will shop round but I can swallow <£200 just about :approve:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Not a bad price that - I might sack the insurance off and go it alone - is it just local to you this company or do they have a few branches?

gdw

RS Clio 172
It was just local to me but I also got that quote matched from another local firm, so its a legit price.

National Windscreens gave me a quote of £240, you could try calling these and see what they quote you.

gdw

RS Clio 172
^ seems a good price but they won't cover my area. No real rush for me so shopping around for best deal.

£200 is pretty good considering I just paid the £80 excess for mine.

I'd get it done by a pro. It's hassle DIY on a modern car and you never know if it's sealed correctly so you'll get the air whistling through! Lol.

I'd have another go with your insurance though. Ask to speak to a supervisor and say how you've only just realised it's not on there and you just presumed it was and you would like it added. How you've always heard Elephant to be a great insurance company, they gave you great quote, were helpful blah blah blah but now you're disappointed with their service and feel let down by them. Be firm but don't shout and swear. If he still refuses ask for his full name, title and what the complains procedure is.

gdw

RS Clio 172
One of the firms I called said they would fit a windscreen for me at a rate of £50, its just sourcing a good one, they explained on the phone the hard thing is getting them out neatly.

Clio extreme
hi, ive had more or less the same problem :( i can get a windscreen and fit it , i just need to know if the 2000 model clio screen will fit my model which is 2002?

Titanium 182
Mate go to one of those carparks where they have a tent and do it whilst you shop, ask him if he can have a look at it when it's quiet and tell him you'll slip him some cash. I had a guy drill a tiny bump at the end of the crack to stop it spreading and he filled in the crack as best he could. It held for 9 months till I renewed my insurance and got windscreen cover. Think I paid him like £20

gdw

RS Clio 172
Update:

Found a windscreen from local breakers for £30, the breakers yard put me on to a windscreen technician which is going to remove it from the donor vehicle and fit it to my car for £50.

£80 all in! result