ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows Xp

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Needing some help with my old Dell D600 thats running Windows XP.

The computer is packed with rubbish aswell as spyware / malware and loads more. Its an old Bank laptop that i got cheap through through an auction when they where selling them all off.

It has a Windows XP Product code on the base of the laptop (in the picture below) but what im wanting to know is that if i totally re-install windows and start from new with the disks can i use the original product key thats on the bottom and will it give me a semi decent laptop again that i can actually use ?

I dont do much on it and its more just a back up.

image-1.gif

Audi TTS S Tronic
thats not the full code!

use magical jelly bean key finder to get your key

make sure you download the DRIVERS on to a memory stick before reinstalling :)

if you have any questions PM me

182 T
He's edited the code out so you can't half inch his license.

Yes you can mate but OEM codes are sometimes a bit awkward and you need to make sure you reinstalling with the the same version XP Pro or Home for example.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
thats not the full code!

use magical jelly bean key finder to get your key

make sure you download the DRIVERS on to a memory stick before reinstalling :)

if you have any questions PM me

I have the full code but i have masked over it so its not shown.

How would i go about downloading drivers ?

Im rather clueless when it comes to this as i was just going to buy a disk from ebay and bash it in

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
You would need to install that version of xp with that key.

For example a service pack 2 key would not work with a service pack 3 install.

If you end up needing a genuine key drop me a pm.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Its Windows XP Professional 2002 that im using.

Here is a picture below with the info i have found on the old laptop.

image.gif

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
It depends on what service pack was on it when it was new, im guessing as its quite old it was probably service pack 2. Which means you would need to install xp service pack 2 to get that key to work if thats what it came with. But if you do end up putting 3 on it and the key doe not work i am happy to supply you with one.

For getting the drivers just type in the model of the laptop followed by xp drivers download. Should be able to get them from plenty of places. Main one you will want/need will be the lan driver or wlan if it has wireless.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not bad to be fair for that price but if you wait until tomorrow i should be able to help you out.

Clio 182
What you need is a Dell OEM Windows XP disk, doesnt matter what SP is on it, this wont ask for a Key and will be pre activated.

Darrell

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
What you need is a Dell OEM Windows XP disk, doesnt matter what SP is on it, this wont ask for a Key and will be pre activated.

Darrell

Doesn't really matter if he is doing a fresh install. The drivers can be had from google.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im in NO rush what so ever as the computer is just going back in the box.

I dont have disks so i cant do nothing just now. I will also be looking for Microsoft word to the laptop also as i once again have lost the disk for that with the key also. I just wnat to totally wipe the laptop and have Nothing On It and start over from scratch

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
For drivers, go to dell.co.uk select drivers and go to the model of your laptop and the operating system youbare going to install. Also...upgrade the BIOS while you are at it. (but you need device plugged into mains to do that and DON'T turn device off while it is doing that).

Store drivers on usb pen off the laptop hard disk drive so you can install them (drivers) after installing fresh version of XP.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
SWOOOOSH

This is way above my head LOL

I thought it was a case of bashing a CD in and away i go. . . . . Think "Money PC Grabbing World" might need to do this one.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Don't worry about upgrading the bios, that really isn't necessary in your situation.

Pc world will charge a small fortune. Put it in a box, courier it too me. I would have it done in a day and back up to you lol.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Don't worry about upgrading the bios, that really isn't necessary in your situation.

Pc world will charge a small fortune. Put it in a box, courier it too me. I would have it done in a day and back up to you lol.

That sounds like a plan - PM on its way !