ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows XP to Windows Vista USB question

Peddled device
I have a memory stick that contains some software for work on it. The format is for XP, and when I plug it into my PC running Vista it not seen at all, unsurprisingly. Is there some way to look at the software, even though its not for Vista, on my PC?

Uh, there's no such thing as a drive format for XP (as far as I'm aware), unless the drive has some custom partition type that was accessible via software on the XP machine?

Generally it'd be FAT16/FAT32, or possibly NTFS (but usually one of the former).

If it's not showing up in vista, try going to device manager and refresh device list, or try a different usb port.

Is it a licensed usb dongle that acts as anti-piracy? Or literally just a USB drive that has software on it?

Clio 2 ph1
Do you see something special when you go to: start - right click My Computer - Properties - device manager
( like yellow or red icons?)

Peddled device
There are no red or yellow icons in Device Manager.

I have 5 'Removable Devices' in My Computer. None of them show the USB plugged in.

Clio 2 ph1
And do you see the usb when you go to: start - right click my computer - manage - disk management ?

Clio 2 ph1
And what happends when you plug the usb back in the XP computer? Does the computer recognize it?

Edit:

Does other usb sticks work with the Vista computer? Is they don't, you should check the BIOS settings

Peddled device
I plugged it into the back. It told me that it was then installing a driver update, but still nothing appears anywhere.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Plug it in, Right click on "My Computer", Manage, Disk Management... then see if it shows up as a known drive.

If not, go to Device Manager and look in Disk Drives with it connected - If you spot it - click "Uninstall" and let it reinstall. Might then show up.

You'll have a conflict issue.

Peddled device
This is what I see with the USB plugged in. Which should I uninstall?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 34
  DCi
This is what I see with the USB plugged in. Which should I uninstall?

Take your USB thing out and one should disappear

Put your USB stick back in and when it appears uninstall that one which will force it to reinstall

If nothing changes right click on DJH-PC and click 'scan for hardware changes'

If still no changes maybe try unplugging your keyboard and put your USB in that socket to see if that's the fault?!

Peddled device
Take your USB thing out and one should disappear

Put your USB stick back in and when it appears uninstall that one which will force it to reinstall

If nothing changes right click on DJH-PC and click 'scan for hardware changes'

If still no changes maybe try unplugging your keyboard and put your USB in that socket to see if that's the fault?!

Nothing changed when taken out or after scanning for hardware changes. After plugging it into the keyboard socket I was told it was installing device driver, but nothing actually showed up anywhere.

Disk's 1-4 say 'no media'.

Stumped ! The USB works on the crappy XP PC at work.