ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows VPN issue!

Fiesta ST
I've got a RRAS server setup for VPN at a customers site. Just run of the mill PPTP one - usually dead easy to setup. However one of the remote workers can't access any files on the server.

I can VPN into the server no problem and access all the files.

He can get the VPN connected, can access the intranet webpage, can ping the server via IP and name. But when you run and do \\server it says path not found! same with \\192.168.0.5 (server ip) He has all the correct permission's (I've even VPNed in as the administrator on his machine and still can't access the files).

Firewall is configured correctly (controlled by GPO).

It's a domain laptop just taken home at the end of the day.

and yes his home network is on a different subnet.

Thoughts?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Bizarre. Have you got any rules on the RRAS server to allow/deny traffic based on group membership? Or is that a bit clever for the free MS one - long time since I did anything with that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a RRAS server setup for VPN at a customers site. Just run of the mill PPTP one - usually dead easy to setup. However one of the remote workers can't access any files on the server.

I can VPN into the server no problem and access all the files.

He can get the VPN connected, can access the intranet webpage, can ping the server via IP and name. But when you run and do \\server it says path not found! same with \\192.168.0.5 (server ip) He has all the correct permission's (I've even VPNed in as the administrator on his machine and still can't access the files).

Firewall is configured correctly (controlled by GPO).

It's a domain laptop just taken home at the end of the day.

and yes his home network is on a different subnet.

Thoughts?

We had a similar issue here a few months back. Our depot down in Wales couldn't contact the Citrix servers at HO in Blackburn on one particular weekend. The bizarre thing was that from my home-based laptop, I could remotely connect to any of the Welsh PCs and control their desktops, etc.

When I tried pinging the Blackburn servers from Wales - there was no response - both via IP or name. Yet clearly the VPN was up as I was on their PCs.

The Welsh depot has twin internet connections and one had blipped out temporarily. The other had picked up the load as failover, but the secondary router had no references of the Citrix servers in its access lists. Once they were added, it worked fine. :)

D.

Fiesta ST
I was looking through the GPO of the windows firewall and I may have found out the problem but not tested it yet. The File and printer sharing is set to allow but only on the local subnet so I'm gonna change that and see how we go.

197 F1 R27
I was looking through the GPO of the windows firewall and I may have found out the problem but not tested it yet. The File and printer sharing is set to allow but only on the local subnet so I'm gonna change that and see how we go.

Just some ideas....

Debug the traffic on the VPN gateway.

Stick Wireshark on the laptop and the remote system, send the traffic and see if you get any packets arriving on either interface.

Make sure he's getting the correct DHCP address.

Fiesta ST
Managed to fix this by using netsh and resetting winsock and the tcp/ip stack!! now works without issue.